Converting Epic Level Creatures

Cleon

Legend
We need an epic Oonga from isle of the ape. I know Oonga is already in the CC but his origonal version could have thrown down with the 1e Tarrasque.

Erm, the version in the Creature Catalog is already epic - it's got Epic Feats to prove it. I will agree that Oonga and his Gargantuan Ape kin are bit underwhelming
in the CC conversions, especially considering Oonga is supposed to solo against a high-level party.

However, it's already been converted for the CC in 3.5 and I'm reluctant to redo it, especially since there's official 3.5 stats for an "Island Ape" in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk (2007). Unfortunately the latter is even more underwhelming, basically being a glorified Dire Ape with a couple of points of fast healing. It's only CR 12.

Nookie

Explorer
It seems barely epic at cr only 18. I can't think of any creatures with a cr lower than 21 with epic feats.

Well anyway, what is next on the list? Ohh we could do Typhon :D

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
It seems barely epic at cr only 18. I can't think of any creatures with a cr lower than 21 with epic feats.

Well anyway, what is next on the list? Ohh we could do Typhon :D

Let's see what freyar fancies doing next now he's posting again.

Epic creatures aren't generally a high priority since (a) they tend to take a long time compared to more modestly CR'd monsters and (b) fewer D&D gamers are likely to want stats for them.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Taking me a while to catch up to the threads, though! So from that perspective, I'd probably let this rest. However we have fan interest ;) so we might as well start one up. If Nookie wants Typhon, let's do that. I assume you have the original stats...

Cleon

Legend
Taking me a while to catch up to the threads, though! So from that perspective, I'd probably let this rest. However we have fan interest ;) so we might as well start one up. If Nookie wants Typhon, let's do that. I assume you have the original stats...

I think so, although it might take a bit of digging to find them.

I'll just search Echohawk's index to confirm the source. He's in one of the Deities & Demigods type books isn't he?

…hmm, "cannot find the data you're searching for".

A quick search online turns up references to Pathfinder, World of Warcraft and 4E versions of Typhon but I'm having trouble finding an early D&D source. I did find a 3E version of Typhon that used to be on the WotC forums but it doesn't list any sources.

I vaguely remember an early issue of Dragon magazine with an article on the "children of Echidna" that might have had stats for their father in it.

So Nookie, where are the stats you had in mind for converting?

EDIT: I checked the 1E Deities & Demigods and the 2E Legends & Lore and didn't see stats for Typhon in either. The Dragon article I had in mind was "The Blood of Medusa" in Dragon #58 which has stats for Echidna but, unfortunately, no Typhon.

Last edited:

Nookie

Explorer
I think so, although it might take a bit of digging to find them.

I'll just search Echohawk's index to confirm the source. He's in one of the Deities & Demigods type books isn't he?

…hmm, "cannot find the data you're searching for".

A quick search online turns up references to Pathfinder, World of Warcraft and 4E versions of Typhon but I'm having trouble finding an early D&D source. I did find a 3E version of Typhon that used to be on the WotC forums but it doesn't list any sources.

I vaguely remember an early issue of Dragon magazine with an article on the "children of Echidna" that might have had stats for their father in it.

So Nookie, where are the stats you had in mind for converting?

EDIT: I checked the 1E Deities & Demigods and the 2E Legends & Lore and didn't see stats for Typhon in either. The Dragon article I had in mind was "The Blood of Medusa" in Dragon #58 which has stats for Echidna but, unfortunately, no Typhon.

I could have sworn ive seen them. May may Have to do this on as a "Stat this up" UGH ok well that was the one i really wanted to see. anymore ideas?

Cleon

Legend
I could have sworn ive seen them. May may Have to do this on as a "Stat this up" UGH ok well that was the one i really wanted to see. anymore ideas?

The only epic level creatures I have on my current "want list" are the Mystaran Dragon rulers - The Moon Dragon, The Star Dragon, The Sun Dragon and The Great One.

I'd rather finish the unique dragon we're currently working on before we start on those.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
And we can convert those in the true dragon thread, also. Let's leave this one to rest for now, in that case.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases