Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm convinced, CE it is!

Perhaps we should add a special note that the template adds the aquatic subtype and amphibious SQ to a non-aquatic base creature. But leave amphibious off non-amphibious aquatic base creatures.

Cleon

Legend
I'm convinced, CE it is!

Good, that saves me the bother of altering the SRD!

Perhaps we should add a special note that the template adds the aquatic subtype and amphibious SQ to a non-aquatic base creature. But leave amphibious off non-amphibious aquatic base creatures.

I'm more inclined to leave the "standard" weremako without any such note and just follow the SRD rules while adding SQs to the Mystaran weremako to account for their variable ability to breathe air and/or water.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sure, that works for me.

Do you have some ideas on background and description?

(And, yikes, how did I get this far behind again?)

Cleon

Legend
Sure, that works for me.

Okay, how about:

In Mystara
Most if not all the weresharks in Mystara turn into mako sharks. These weremakos are a more magical breed than standard wereasharks. They possess the ability to summon sharks or even afflicted weremakos they have created. Tritons can become Mystaran weremakos despite being native outsiders who would normally be immune to lycanthropy.

Air breathing creatures turned into Mystaran weremakos almost always die during their first transformation into a shark, either by suffocating as a fish out of water or by drowning far out to sea when the moon sets and they turn back into a air-breather.

Amphibious (Ex): A Mystaran weremako in hybrid form possesses lungs and gills so can breathe both air or water.

Gills (Ex): A Mystaran weremako in shark form has no lungs and must breathe through its gills. Even if the base creature is amphibious or an air breather a shark form weremako can only breathe water.

Do you have some ideas on background and description?

Ta-da:

A bestial figure that resembles a shark that can stand on two sturdy legs like a human. Its forelimbs are elongated fins that split into clawed fingers. The creature has a short tail and dorsal fin just like a shark's.

Weremakos are evil creatures who will kill for no other purpose than to sate their bloodlust. On nights of the full moon they roam and slaughter with as much abandon as the most vicious werewolves. A weremako in its humanoid form has no definite distinguishing traits. Its skin may be a bit rough, but no more than many normal people who have endured rough lives exposed to the sea's weather. A weremako will normally have a full set of sharp white teeth.

A weremako in shark form is usually about 50% longer and 50% heavier than they are in their humanoid form. However the most powerful weremakos tend to be much larger and more massive than that, up to twice as long and four or five times heavier than their humanoid form.

(And, yikes, how did I get this far behind again?)

If I had to hazard a guess I'd suspect it was because you had other things to do? B-)

Cleon

Legend
Just noticed a couple of stat errors in the Dire Sheep stats posted in this thread.

AC 16 with touch 12 that should be AC 13 with touch 9, a "Gore Bite" in the attack line and Weapon Focus in (horns) instead of (gore).

The AC errors also appear in the Giant Sheep entry.

They've been corrected where possible.

Cleon

Legend
Nope, you choose!

Let me just check the Shapeshifter to-do list… …which I might as well update it while I'm there.

Okay, I fancied doing one of the more interesting ones and, while I was tempted by the Devil Swine, Simorgyan and Weredragon I think I'll opt for the Weregorilla. 'Cause everyone likes gorillas. :p

Cleon

Legend
Weregorilla Original Stats

Prof. Arcanus
Maledictive Weregorilla, Chaotic Good
Armor Class6Str19
Movement12Dex14
Level/Hit Dice4+1Con19
Hit Points25Int14
THAC017Wis14
MoraleElite (14)Cha17
No. of Attacks3
Damage/Attack1d3 (fist)/1d3 (fist)/1d6 (bite)
Special AttacksRoar
Special DefensesHit only by silver and +1 or better magical weapons
Magic ResistanceNil
*SNIP*

Combat
Arcanus changes form far less frequently than most werebeasts. In battle, the chance that he transforms is based upon the damage he has suffered. At the end of each round, his chance of changing form is equal to the damage he has suffered thus far.

In either form, Arcanus can be struck only by wooden weapons or those with at least +1 magical bonus.

Human Aspect
In human form, Arcanus tries to avoid combat, claiming that such is unbecoming a gentleman. If pressed, however, he is a fairly powerful enemy. He retains a fraction of his lycanthropic strength in human form, allowing him to strike twice per round, inflicting 1d3 points of damage with each blow. (This does not spread his lycanthropy.)

Over the years, Arcanus has mastered the art of mesmerism. In game terms, he can use this power three times per day, but only if he has some manner of focus with him. Usually, he uses the gleaming stone on his walking stick, but any other shiny object will do. The effects of this talent mimic those of the hypnotism spell, save that it affects only one subject.

Gorilla Aspect
When transformed into a gorilla, Arcanus is a savage and fierce beast who hungers for blood and combat. In this form he can attack thrice per round. The first two attacks are blows from his savage fists, which inflict 1d3 points of damage each. He follows these up with a bite that inflicts 1d4 points of damage and has a chance of infecting his enemy with lycanthropy.

In his gorilla form Arcanus has the ability to utter a powerful howl that echoes through the air, touching the simian roots in all humans. Those who hear this roar for the first time must make a fear check. Failure has the normal effects indicated in the Domains of Dread book. Those who have heard this roar before are entitled to a +2 bonus on the check, as are demihumans. Humanoids need not make a check, as the gorilla’s roar has no effect upon such bestial creatures.

Anyone who contracts lycanthropy from Arcanus becomes a carnivorous ape (as described in the MONSTROUS MANUAL tome). Although technically werebeasts, these creatures cannot change shape. They feel no loyalty to their creator but are not openly hostile to him. They dwell in the wilds, preying on animals and men alike. Only when they are killed does it become apparent that they were once men.

Originally appeared in Children of the Night - Werebeasts (1998).

Note the statblock and descriptive text have a few discrepancies. The statblock he's vulnerable to silver weapons, the text says wooden. The statblock says a 1d6 bite, the text 1d4.

For comparison, here are two AD&D versions of an ordinary Gorilla:

GORILLA
FREQUENCY: Very rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-20
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVE: 12″
HIT DICE: 3 + 1 (females) or 4 + 1 (males)
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-3/1-3/1-4 (females) or 1-4/1-4/1-6 (males)
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Rending
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: M or L (up to 6′ tall and very broad)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: females III / 85 + 4/hp; males III / 130 + 5/hp

Gorillas are found only in undisturbed tropical forests, where they live in small bands, moving from clearing to clearing in search of succulent plants. Each band consists of a number of females with their young (one-fifth of any group are individuals too young to have effective attacks) and a single adult male. Gorillas will try to drive away intruders with a display of force, and anyone who does not move away, or who moves quickly — even to flee — is likely to be attacked. Female gorillas weigh about 200 pounds and have strength ratings of 17 or 18. Males are twice as heavy as females and have strength ratings of 18 or 19.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #95 (“The many shapes of apes – giving primates the attention they deserve” by Stephen Inniss, March 1985)

APE,(Gorilla)
FREQUENCY: Very rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-4
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVE: 12″
HIT DICE: 4 + 1
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-3/1-3/1-6
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Rending
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Nil
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
SIZE: M (6′ tall, broad)
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

The typical ape is found only in lonely tropical forest regions. It is non-aggressive and shy, but if threatened or cornered will fight fiercely. If it scores hits with both of its hands it does an additional 1-6 points grabbing and rending its opponent.

Originally appeared in Monster Manual (Gary Gygax, 1977).

The Monster Manual one looks a slightly closer match to Arcanus than the Dragon Magazine one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases