Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Mortis

First Post
I've just noticed that the werecamel gets a +4 racial bonus to swim in camel form but it doesn't have swim listed under it's skills - deliberate?

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wereram
No. Appearing: 2-12
Armor Class: 6
Move: 9”
Hit Dice: 4+1
% in Lair: 20%
Treasure Type: C
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 2-8
Special Attacks: Nil
Intelligence Average
Alignment Lawful good
Size M

Wererams are 15% likely to be found in mountain dwelling herds of giant sheep or goats: They appear as shaggy, ram-headed humanoids and generally avoid all contact with the outside world. It is possible that they use giant goats as mounts. They attack, when sorely pressed, by butting.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #40 (1980).

Cleon

Legend
I've just noticed that the werecamel gets a +4 racial bonus to swim in camel form but it doesn't have swim listed under it's skills - deliberate?

Regards
Mortis

We should cut out the racial bonus to Swim, not add the Skill.

I'd forgotten how it got in there, but on reflection I'd copied the Werebear stats from the SRD to use as the outline for the Werecamel and forgot to cut the bear's racial bonus out. Camels don't have any racial bonuses, so the Werecamel shouldn't either.

Indeed, the Werecamel shouldn't have a racial skills entry, since it doesn't have any.

Cleon

Legend
Wereram
No. Appearing: 2-12
Armor Class: 6
Move: 9”
Hit Dice: 4+1
% in Lair: 20%
Treasure Type: C
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 2-8
Special Attacks: Nil
Intelligence Average
Alignment Lawful good
Size M

Wererams are 15% likely to be found in mountain dwelling herds of giant sheep or goats: They appear as shaggy, ram-headed humanoids and generally avoid all contact with the outside world. It is possible that they use giant goats as mounts. They attack, when sorely pressed, by butting.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #40 (1980).

Well Enworld has 3.0 stats for a Sheep and 3.5 stats for a Giant Sheep.

Which of the two are we using for our werebeast? I prefer the Giant Sheep, since it'll make a more formidable foe. We "shortchanged" out Werecamel out of a couple of HD so it'll balance out if we give this one an extra HD. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
We should cut out the racial bonus to Swim, not add the Skill.

I'd forgotten how it got in there, but on reflection I'd copied the Werebear stats from the SRD to use as the outline for the Werecamel and forgot to cut the bear's racial bonus out. Camels don't have any racial bonuses, so the Werecamel shouldn't either.

Indeed, the Werecamel shouldn't have a racial skills entry, since it doesn't have any.

In retrospect, I should have questioned why a camel was swimming! :lol:

I'll fix it.

Well Enworld has 3.0 stats for a Sheep and 3.5 stats for a Giant Sheep.

Which of the two are we using for our werebeast? I prefer the Giant Sheep, since it'll make a more formidable foe. We "shortchanged" out Werecamel out of a couple of HD so it'll balance out if we give this one an extra HD. :D

Hmm...neither is a good fit, actually. Both seem to assume ewes. We need a headbutt attack rather than a bite. We may need to stat up a generic "ram".

Cleon

Legend
In retrospect, I should have questioned why a camel was swimming! :lol:

To get to the other bank. :)

Hmm...neither is a good fit, actually. Both seem to assume ewes. We need a headbutt attack rather than a bite. We may need to stat up a generic "ram".

Easy enough:

Ram
Medium Animal
Hit Dice:2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative:+1
Speed:30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:13 (+1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple:+1/+2
Attack:Horns +2 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack:Horns +2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge
Special Qualities:Low-light vision
Saves:Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities:Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills:Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats:Alertness
Environment:Any land
Organization:Flock (1-8 plus 10-100 sheep plus 50% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating:1/2
Treasure:None
Alignment:Always neutral
Advancement:3 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

The statistics here describe a powerful male sheep, use standard sheep stats for females and lesser males.

COMBAT
Rams usually flee from threats, but may charge opponents who threaten their ewes and lambs.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a ram charges, its horns attack deals 2d4+2 points of damage.

Ram, Giant
Large Animal
Hit Dice:4d8+16 (34 hp)
Initiative:+0
Speed:30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:16 (-1 size, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:+3/+12
Attack:Bite +7 melee (1d6+7) or horns +8 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack:Bite +7 melee (1d6+7) or horns +8 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach:10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge, stampede
Special Qualities:Low-light vision
Saves:Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities:Str 20, Dex 11, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills:Listen +5, Spot +6
Feats:Alertness, Weapon Focus (horns)
Environment:Temperate mountains, hills, and plains
Organization:Flock (1-8 plus 10-100 giant sheep plus 50% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating:2
Treasure:None
Alignment:Always neutral
Advancement:5-8 HD (Large); 9-10 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

This massive sheep is larger than a horse, with spectacular curled horns.

Giant rams are big and powerful specimens of male giant sheep. They are nearly identical to their lesser cousins except in size. They are often raised as livestock by giants. Use giant sheep stats for females and immature males.

A giant ram is 6 to 8 feet long and weighs 1000 to 1300 pounds.

COMBAT
Giant rams usually flee from creatures that appear to be powerful predators, but may charge opponents who threaten their ewes and lambs.

Powerful Charge (Ex): When a giant ram charges, its gore attack deals 2d8+10 points of damage.

Stampede (Ex): A frightened flock of giant sheep flees as a group in a random direction (but always away from the perceived source of danger). They literally run over anything of Large size or smaller that gets in their way, dealing 1d12 points of damage for each five sheep in the flock (Reflex DC 16 half ). The save DC is Strength-based.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases