How far are they going with Essentials

gjnave

First Post
I really like the new Essentials builds and style of play. One question though, how far are they going with this? Will they keep pumping out new Essentials books (and classes), or is this just a phase?

BobTheNob

First Post
Im hoping that they keep going with it. I really like essentials as well and would like to see the design philosophy continue to carry through to the point that it is completely stand alone capable (IMHO...its a bit thin at the moment and needs to combine with pre-essentials to give it "meat")

mudlock

First Post
Technically, Essentials is a ten-long product line, and that's it. Although now some of those have been canceled, so who knows.

As for the design philosophy first seen in Essentials (classes being further from the AEDU+one power source+one role design, feats being somewhat more powerful, etc.) my guess is yes, but I think ( or at least hope) we'll also see more AEDU1PS1R material.

Grydan

First Post
None of the Essentials products have been cancelled. All ten of them have been released.

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Game (Red Box)
Heroes of the Fallen Lands
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
Rules Compendium
Dungeon Master's Kit
Monster Vault
Dungeon Tiles Master Set: The City
Dungeon Tiles Master Set: The Dungeon
Dungeon Tiles Master Set: The Wilderness
D&D Roleplaying Game Dice

mudlock

First Post
None of the Essentials products have been cancelled. All ten of them have been released.

Ah; I thought Heroes of Shadow and Heroes of Sword and Spell had been part of the list. I see I was wrong.

I'd forgotten the special Essentials Dice, and apparently, one of the tile sets.

gjnave

First Post
Ah; I thought Heroes of Shadow and Heroes of Sword and Spell had been part of the list. I see I was wrong.

I'd forgotten the special Essentials Dice, and apparently, one of the tile sets.

Wait.. are you saying that HoS and HoSaS are cancelled? I thought i saw just the other day that HoS was being released.
Is HoSaS Essentials?

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
See? Your error just proves that, effectively, every 4e product we'll see after the ten Essentials products has been 'Essentialized' to a degree that will make it indistinguishable from an actual Essentials product.

Every future 4e product will be an Essentials product in all but name. Depending on your stance that's either great or dire news.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I really like the new Essentials builds and style of play. One question though, how far are they going with this? Will they keep pumping out new Essentials books (and classes), or is this just a phase?
It doesn't look like they're going to keep stamping 'Essentials' on the cover of everything they release. But they're not going back to churning out Martial Power X every year either. So I guess it depends on what you consider 'Essentials' to be.

gjnave

First Post
See? Your error just proves that, effectively, every 4e product we'll see after the ten Essentials products has been 'Essentialized' to a degree that will make it indistinguishable from an actual Essentials product.

Every future 4e product will be an Essentials product in all but name. Depending on your stance that's either great or dire news.

This is great news :D

Remove ads