LotR Risk Boardgame

Frostmarrow

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
GOOD HEAVENS!

I have played RISK. I KNOW how big RISK Armies become. (I attack Southern Europe with 100 Armies, then Scandinavia with 98 Armies, then Greenland with 96 Armies, then Quebec with 94 Armies, then Eastern United States with 92 Armies, then Mexico with 90 Armies, then Brazil with 88 Armies, then ...)

So, if 5s are Shelobs, then with a stack of 100 Armies, I have TWENTY Shelobs running around!

(considers that)

If Sauron has 20 Shelobs running around under his direct control, may the Valar help us all.

Uh, excuse me ... since when are the Riders of Rohan with more than Elven Archers?
I think Fingolfin and his allies would take issue with the designers. After all, he stood up to Morgoth for over 400 years, whereas Rohan would not have lasted for over 400 minutes.

I'm sorry I got it wrong. There are no shelobs in the game. Sauron has goblins (1), Ringwraiths (2) and Cave trolls (3). The good guys have Elven archers (1), Riders of Rohan (2) and Giant eagles (3). All the models look good except the eagles which have the detail level of candy.

There can be a massive build-up of troops in the game but a really BIG army counts to about 20 units (~6 eagles or cave trolls). I guess this is due to the time limit of 13 player turns. Also the map is designed in a way that you always have several fronts to cover so there will be no 100 armies in Siam that can conquer the world in one go. You can exchange cards for a lot of troops but you only have the opportunity to do so once (and that requires some luck). It is possible to exchange cards twice but that takes luck with cards, luck with territories and special effort to pull off.

The riders are worth more than the archers because the riders are bigger. I don't think the elves will take this as an insult. ;)

TommyTutone: "However a new problem is introduced since some players will have more turns than others."

Yes, but you can delay the fellowship at certain points. This option looks useless to novices of the game (it did to me) but it is a good tactic to delay the fellowship in order for you to get the last turn.

BigFreekingGoblinoid: "Can anyone confirm BlackMoria's claim that this will be coming? A couple pages of googling revealed nothing about an expansion... "

I can't confirm anything but the game board is prepped for an expansion. There is a naval route that goes from Enedwaith-harbor to the south edge of the board. Which I'm gussing will connect to Gondor in the expansion. The fellowship route also goes to the south edge of the board and without spoiling too much I think it's safe to say that it will connect to Mordor in the expansion.

Remove ads