Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That “in your face patriotism”. It’s very American. IME, especially among Southern conservatives.

Thing is, for all the proclamations of their love of Old Glory, few of them actually seem to follow the (admittedly unenforceable) rules for displaying it per The Flag Code, etc.

(The other flags, meh...)

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I've noticed some of the flags frayed and torn, dragging the ground behind. That one made me angry. If you want to have pride in it, then take care of it. I remember you talking about living in Germany. You didn't see this kind of thing there? Even among the lower class?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For the most part, Europeans don’t display their flags unless there’s some really important event...like an international soccer match. ;)

And AFAIK, they DEFINITELY don’t have the same kind of rules regarding display, reverence, or disposal of their flags as we do. I’ve seen Europeans do a lot of things with their flags that Americans would consider disrespectful.

OTOH, some of our “patriots” will use our flag in ways that Europeans find baffling for something so apparently beloved, especially on clothing. I mean, why would you wear a patch depicting your revered flag on the ass of your shorts? As a thong bikini?

Or, as you point out, in poor condition or dragging it in the dirt.

Me? I was in scouting, and grew up as an Army Brat. We don’t male those mistakes.

A lot of our neighbors pay to have largish flags on poles placed on their lawns for the big patriotic holidays...displaying them un-illuminated during inclement weather and at night.

On those same holidays, some businesses festoon streets with small flags- some with their business cards in the little sticks- not only committing the same error, but also not monitoring if/when they fall over and recovering them.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Now that I've thought about it, I don't think I even own a Finnish flag.

For the most part, Europeans don’t display their flags unless there’s some really important event...like an international soccer match. ;)
International sports in general, really. But even here in ice hockey country people do get excited by soccer.

Edit:

Thinking about this a little more, it's like, it's not that sports are super serious here (even though that's true sometimes), but rather the issue is that openly and boldly displaying your patriotism marks you as a right wing cuckoo. There's so much bad blood hidden under European history that people intentionally downplay the flag waving.

Sporting events are the safe place for patriotism. They are the place where you get to spend all that built up nationalistic fervour, and then come back home, put the flags away, and continue your normal lives.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Not sure if this video is going to stay up (they've been taking down footage of it all over the place), but here's the moment in round 3 where the match changed in favour of Ruiz:

[video=youtube;SKaHyURFNgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaHyURFNgs[/video]

It's almost like he got mad for getting knocked down. Before this moment the match was really careful on both sides, but after this Ruiz seems to realize he could actually win.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases