Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
I am going the mental state I hate most. I know everything is good but I am becoming depressed and short tempered with a feel of "Don't cry".

I hate being me right now.

On the Reaper forum, we've dubbed them "brain weasels"...

Something I'd like to see in the wild. A big cat. Bobcat, panther, mountain lion.

I've been lucky enough to witness a bobcat here in CT twice. You don't often see them at all, and they're mostly up in the northwest corner of the state... I'm in the southeast corner on the beach, so I consider myself very lucky. I've also come face to face (or face to chest, more accurately) with a young moose one very cold winter.
In 2011, there was a mountain lion killed just outside Milford, CT - it was later confirmed that it was the same cat who'd been spotted off and on traveling east all the way from the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Mad Jack heard this and told his companion "hold my beer" No one expected these to be his final words.

Only because I don't drink... :cool:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Oh Great Master Chef,

I have a question. Can you think of a cheese blend for pizza that is either low in lactose or lactose free? I love pizza but hate the effect it had on my digestive system. Most pizza places use mozzarella, Munster, and provolone. Pizza without cheese is blasphemous.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
These are low lactose cheeses:
Muenster: 0-1.1% lactose range
Camembert: 0-1.8% lactose range
Brie: 0-2% lactose range
Cheddar (mild and sharp varieties): 0-2.1% lactose range
Provolone: 0-2.1% lactose range
Gouda: 0-2.2% lactose range
Blue: 0-2.5% lactose range
Parmesan: 0-3.2% lactose range
Swiss: 0-3.4% lactose range

See also:
http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Most of these should be available in some variety in most grocery stores. Obviously, the only way to figure out if you can eat any of these is trying them out.

While you may have had issues with Muenster and Provolone, it may have been on the higher lactose side.

As a rule of thumb, aged hard cheeses tend to be lower in lactose. So it may behoove you to try some of the (usually more expensive) older, drier versions of some of these- shredded or grated- and allowing the liquids in the pizza sauce to compensate for that dryness.

One of my workhorse cheeses is Parrano. It’s in the Gouda family (so it should be relatively low in lactose), but its flavor has commonalities with Parmesan, and is pretty assertive. It works VERY well with tomatoes in all forms. Decent melter, too.

Depending on your trials, you might get best results using a mix of cheeses. If you can tolerate Parrano, that would be a good choice. A smoked Gruyere- a type of Swiss- would be another cheese to consider. Provolone might also be a good option.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Gotta say, though...

I’ve had cheese-less pizzas more than once, and done right, they can be killer. Try topped with olive oil instead of tomato sauce, with things like nicely seasoned meat, mushrooms, garlic cloves, sliced onions...even sliced tomatoes.

A grind of pepper...

On the Reaper forum, we've dubbed them "brain weasels"...

I've been lucky enough to witness a bobcat here in CT twice. You don't often see them at all, and they're mostly up in the northwest corner of the state... I'm in the southeast corner on the beach, so I consider myself very lucky. I've also come face to face (or face to chest, more accurately) with a young moose one very cold winter.
In 2011, there was a mountain lion killed just outside Milford, CT - it was later confirmed that it was the same cat who'd been spotted off and on traveling east all the way from the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Only because I don't drink... :cool:

Seen Moose, flying Squirels, white squirrels, black squirrels. Have had acorns thrown at me and psychic "go away" twice (one VERY strong) from the big guy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases