Help! Building a Non-Hybrid Controller/Leader

Lalato

Adventurer
Hi gang,
I have an idea for a Controller/Leader character, but don't have any idea where to begin. I can't make it a hybrid as per campaign rules.

What class/race combo would be a good starting point for such a character?

Thanks!
--sam

WalterKovacs

First Post
First of all, your best bet is to start with a leader class, and multiclass into controller, since going the other way around only really gets you healing 1/day, while most of the controller's schticks come through their powers.

As for race, half-elf is a good choice, since his dilletante power gives you access to another controller power (and you can make it at-will with an extra feat at paragon).

Bard is probably a good way to go, since as an arcane caster he's already a bit on the controller side (you'd likely want to go with the Cha + Int build in that case). Bard allows you to multiclass multiple times (which you can use to grab powers from multiple controllers, since many give you an at-will power as an encounter as part of their initial multiclass feat). Also, half-elves have access to a feat that let's you treat all powers you gain via multiclass to be charisma based, so you only need to meet the minimum requirement for going into other classes.

A paragon multiclass with the bonus from the bardic dilletante feat gives you access to ALL class powers for your encounter/utility/daily options. Depending on what level you are starting with, there are some paragon paths/epic destinies that let you grab powers from outside bard.

So, long story short, a half-elf bard is probably your best bet. On top of everything else, wielding a wand gives you access to additional powers as well.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Thanks, Kinneus.

How about getting a bit of Leader in a Controller? ;)

--sam

If you want a bit of leader, it depends on what you are looking for.

If it's healing, a wizard/psion (with wisdom secondary) or an invoker can go into cleric, and supplement the 1/day healing word with power swaps to get some good utilities that do some more healing.

It it's stuff like giving bonuses to attacks and the like, grabbing something from warlord is nice. They have a bunch of easy to qualify for multiclass options which give you a diminished version of their action point effects (not to mention one to get their heal 1/day), and they have some encounter, daily and utility powers that don't require Str to use, instead often being based on secondary stats like intelligence. So a wizard, or psion, or invoker with intelligence secondary could go all the way into paragon multiclass and powerswap for commander's strike and not have to worry about needing strength. And, with staff expertise, your implement has reach for use with stuff like commander's strike which is an extra bonus.

mneme

Explorer
Another good option (probably the best, really) to get a bit of leader in your controller is to multiclass into Shaman (again from a wisdom secondary leader or from Invoker). Shamans are naturally controlery leaders (and the spirit is immune to burst attacks), so you get to improve your core competency while getting a dash of leader. And getting a choice for the opportunity action means you can get a tiny (but useful) per-encounter heal with a chance for some damage--or the abilty to grant a basic ranged attack (excellent with the right frineds) -- or the ability to stop movement once per turn on a hit. Additionally, for a second feat, Mending Spirit, you can get a per-encounter heal without giving anything up--the only way I know of to do so as a multiclass. So the best "healer" option is almost certainly /shaman. If you have another feat to invest in the multiclass, you can take Sudden Call to mitigate the cost of recalling your spirit (although you can generally have it available, as it doesn't go away at the end of an encounter), and upgrade to Nimble Spirit in paragon.

If you want a more booster approach, Artificers can be amazing booster (even multiclass) -- particularly in paragon levels.

One thing to keep in mind for any multiclass for Paragon, actually, is the option to take a paragon path from either class. It can totally be worthwhile to multiclass to Artificer for Battle Engineer or Shaman for Soul Igniter.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I like those Invoker ideas. Thanks, WK.

A preservation invoker that takes the flame of hope paragon path and multiclasses into cleric for a power swap or two can make a very good off-leader.

A bard or a pacifist, high charisma cleric can make excellent off-controllers.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been looking at adding healing (but not other leader bits) to characters for a bit, since I'm playing the only healer in a group and it's a good chance they are going to die and I was wondering what non-leader options I would have that wouldn't let down the group.

Chr/Wis paladins can put out a lot of healing, but don't fit your controller need.

Shaman multiclass and then taking the Mending Spirit feat gives you one healing per encounter. Good wis is useful for the 1/encounter spirit power, but not needed - one of the options gives an ally a RBA. You could add this on top of any controller.

If you worship the Raven Queen, there's a channel divinity feat whenever you bloody or reduce to 0 you can give a surge. So you should also do enough damage to be able to expect to bloody or kill within a round or two.

Wrapping these together, an Invoker (wis based, has channel divinity) could spend three feats (shaman multiclass, mending spirit, and the raven queen channel divinity) to give out two healing surges per encounter. Covenant of Wrath does enough damage to trigger the raven queen, and it's natural channel divinity leaves something to be desired so it might be a good fit, though it would work with any of the Invoker flavors. I'd probably go human, since you're looking at spending three feats that aren't enhancing you main role at all.

Remove ads