CCG, PHB, M&T boxed set!

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Received the new boxed set a week or so ago and it had me thinking - if when 3E had been announced this trio of books had been the new edition would it have been a natural progression from 2E?

Possibly not, unless this 3E was heralded as back to a Gygaxian-flavoured D&D, and then possibly yes! As someone who played BESM, 1E, and a little of 2E - and then came back at 3E - it does have the "feel" that I would have been looking for.

Having played 3E/3.5E I have been a littled spoiled for options and that ruleset has defined what D&D is now for me but C&C is still a nice alternative.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, but just wondered if any others had similar feelings about the trio of C&C books?

[Just to make it clear if it isn't ;) I have been a fan of C&C from when it was first published and I am aware that the CKG isn't considered in C&C a "core" rulebook.]

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
I'm definitely into C&C as much as I am because I get the same "vibe" from it I did with 2E and earlier. The other reason is because my $5,000+ collection of 3E books is still easy as heck to use, so isn't just collecting dust like my other D&D books did before I got C&C. Which is yet another reason I like C&C so much, my 2E and prior books and adventures quit collecting dust as well!

But if I understand you correctly, yes, I also like C&C because I still get the "Gygaxian flavor" while getting a system cleaned up and simplified enough for me to love running AND have the easiest way to adapt stuff from all editions of the game (including 3E and 4E) that I like.

So pretty much all of the same reasons I have been saying I love C&C for the last 5 or 6 years now.

Have you gotten Fields of Battle yet? Simplest mass battle system I have ever tried. If anyone knows of easier please let me know. Someone told me of a system they considered better at the last Troll Con, but I forgot the name they told me.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Yep, I love C&C. It is what I consider an updated evolution on 1E AD&D, or as you said what 3E might have been had Gary still been running things. I also love it because it reminds me of OD&D in the respect it is a toolbox game and is VERY easy to houserule. The new CKG has tons of optional rules and makes it very easy to customize the game to just about anyone's taste.

Treebore

First Post
and we now have an AWESOME new setting map to play in!

ursal.jpg

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Possibly not, unless this 3E was heralded as back to a Gygaxian-flavoured D&D, and then possibly yes

3E was marketed as a return to 1E-flavored D&D. IMO, that's the main reason the half-orc, barbarian and monk are in the PH (and the assassin was until the 11th hour, from what I've gathered), and Greyhawk is the default setting. Even the first two years of supplements were dominated by redoing 1E classics, at least so far as the titles were concerned.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
. . . But if I understand you correctly, yes, I also like C&C because I still get the "Gygaxian flavor" while getting a system cleaned up and simplified enough for me to love running AND have the easiest way to adapt stuff from all editions of the game (including 3E and 4E) that I like.

Yes that's it exactly - even reading the CKG felt like the closest experience I've had to reading the 1E DMG!

. . .Have you gotten Fields of Battle yet? Simplest mass battle system I have ever tried. If anyone knows of easier please let me know. Someone told me of a system they considered better at the last Troll Con, but I forgot the name they told me.

No i've not purchased Fields of Battle yet but would be interested in hearing more about it :)

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Yep, I love C&C. It is what I consider an updated evolution on 1E AD&D, or as you said what 3E might have been had Gary still been running things. I also love it because it reminds me of OD&D in the respect it is a toolbox game and is VERY easy to houserule. The new CKG has tons of optional rules and makes it very easy to customize the game to just about anyone's taste.

Yes the whole approach to the Seige Engine is exactly what we were searching for (and creating a hodgepodge of houserules in the absence of) when we were playing 1E.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
and we now have an AWESOME new setting map to play in!

ursal.jpg

Wow :)

3E was marketed as a return to 1E-flavored D&D. IMO, that's the main reason the half-orc, barbarian and monk are in the PH (and the assassin was until the 11th hour, from what I've gathered), and Greyhawk is the default setting. Even the first two years of supplements were dominated by redoing 1E classics, at least so far as the titles were concerned.

Interesting - I remember it being "back to the dungeon" when 3E was launched but not specifically back to 1E - except for Necromancer Games ;)

dead

Explorer
Received the new boxed set a week or so ago and it had me thinking - if when 3E had been announced this trio of books had been the new edition would it have been a natural progression from 2E?

Do you have a link to this boxed set? I can't seem to find it on the Troll Lords site.

Cheers

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Do you have a link to this boxed set? I can't seem to find it on the Troll Lords site. :confused:

Cheers

I was refering to the C&C Complete but I can only find the slip box available on the website not the slip box containing the CKG, PHB, M&T???

See:

Troll Lord Games

I suggest you email the Trolls directly and ask? They always get back to me very quickly with any queries I email them about :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases