[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

Mewness

First Post
The adventurers slowly wear down the hideous conglomeration of fungal blooms and the island becomes deathly quiet once again. The nearby wrecked ship is covered in the same unpleasant growth that coats everything here, but once enough is cleared away, its name is revealed as none other than the Nightvoice.

The contents of the ship have rotted or been stripped away--all save for a strange box made of dark, dense wood. Handling it reveals that it must be hollow, for it is not nearly heavy enough to be a solid block, and yet there is no visible seam to indicate how it opens, or, for that matter, how it was constructed. Kane detects a distinct magical aura on the box, and in tracing his fingers over the surface reveals a mark that appears as a bright glow for a moment and then fades. He understands that there must be some magical procedure for opening the box, a secret that in all likelihood has been lost with its owner.

The trek back to camp is uneventful, but arrival yields a surprise: as the adventurers enter the camp toward evening, there is a sudden burst of brilliant light that leaves them dumbstruck. The lighthouse is working, and Pezock has chosen this moment to light it.

The next couple of days are spent recovering from the nasty spores encountered on the silent grey island. Castile, despite having stood right next to at least a dozen exploding puffballs, is as active and cheerful as ever, but the other adventurers are somewhat ill. The second night, however, brings a most welcome sight--an approaching ship.

It has been decades, if not centuries, since a ship has arrived safely on the shores of Smuggler’s Shiv. The captain is amazed to find a working lighthouse on that cursed isle, and regards the adventurers with a sort of incredulous awe. He readily agrees to carry them back to the Isle of Opposition and then on to Daunton, if they choose to go so far, but insists on leaving as quickly as possible.

No-one is pleased to give up the search for Ieana, but not to take this opportunity would be sheer insanity; only Pezock decides to remain behind. “Someone’s got to keep it running,” he says, leaning affectionately against the wall of the lighthouse. “A fine old structure like this--I daresay we won’t find its like from one end of the Seas to the other, will we, Pearl? Don’t make that long face at me. Come back sometime and you’ll see--we’ll be here, and the light will be lit.”

There are a few hiccups getting away from the Shiv--gremlins seem to creep into the ship’s rigging, the wind changes oddly, and everyone wonders whether the island is exerting its strange influence still. But the ship at last makes it away, and it seems as though a heavy fog has lifted from the minds of the new passengers, who are finally able to sleep peacefully.

Aerys returns to Bacarte. She is boisterously effusive at the parting, hugging, kissing, and playfully slapping all of her friends and telling them not to hesitate to call on her if there is ever any favor she might offer them. Only with Kane is she somewhat hesistant, giving him an enigmatic look before grasping his arm and frowning in annoyance at his stammering response.

Gelik is overjoyed with the box from the Nightvoice, even though, like Kane, he has not the faintest idea of how to open it. “Someone will know,” he says mysteriously, with a wide grin, and leaves it at that. Some time after Gelik has departed, though, Kane finds a slip of paper in his pocket with a peculiar invitation.

[sblock=Note to Kane]There's a group that would be pleased to know a capable fellow like you. Don't worry--it's nothing sinister, just a little club for those who like to pursue the study of magic with as little interference as possible. If you're interested, seek out Veruzak in Daunton.

[Kane has been invited to join the IAC. If he ignores the invitation, nothing untoward happens. If he chooses to meet with Veruzak, he can consider himself a member in good standing.][/sblock]

Ishirou remains steady on the journey back to Daunton, but on arrival, he humbly begs Noriaki to allow him to return to the Kingdom of Jade, the home he has not seen for over thirty years. Noriaki therefore invents a mission for him to perform in that far land and directs him thence, though perfectly indifferent as to his success: for the earnest longing in the old man’s eyes is something he cannot ignore.

Jade returns willingly to the Valley of Bone to throw himself at the mercy of his King. “He has a bad adviser, but he is a good king,” he says. “I t’ink he will see de evidence and listen.” Despite the uncertainty of the outcome, Jade’s mood is buoyant--he seems eager to see his homeland again, even under such difficult circumstances.

Only Sasha does not seem to find the rescue entirely welcome. Though she is initially as thrilled about the lighthouse as anyone, she soon becomes subdued and withdrawn, avoiding even Takahaan and Noriaki, from whom she was once almost inseparable. Her usually malleable disposition seems caught in a permanent funk; no amusement arouses more than a brief smile from her, and no amount of cajoling is enough to draw an explanation. Her misery only increases during the journey back to the Isle of Opposition, and any attention shown to her brings her near to tears.

The group spends a night on the Isle of Opposition while the ship takes on new cargo. In the morning, Sasha is gone, leaving no sign but a brief letter that Noriaki finds tucked into his things.

[sblock=Note to Noriaki, from Sasha]I lied to you about my reasons for being on the Jenivere when we met--but I suppose it doesn’t matter now. It was foolish and selfish of me to want impossible things, to fancy that a great nobleman could come to share my concerns, to hope that I should be freed from them indefinitely.... I’m truly sorry for deceiving you and for leaving so suddenly. Please put me out of your mind, if you have not already. It will be better for both of us.

Sasha
[/sblock]

THE END

(but rewards are coming!)

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
GM: FINAL AWARDS

(pending approval by [MENTION=82251]TwoHeadsBarking[/MENTION])

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Encounter 1: The Silent Isle (removed one of the controllers from tally, as the fight never finished and this monster was not really engaged much anyway)
1 x L7 elite (fungus god), 600
4 x L5 soldier (fungus zombie), 800
1 x L5 controller (blood shroom), 200
Total: 1600, x 2 = 3200 XP

Minor Quest: Find the Nightvoice for Gelik
1 x L2 quest, 125
Total: 125, x 2 = 250 XP

Minor Quests: Keep Aerys, Gelik, Ishirou, Jade, and Sasha alive.
5 x L2 quests, 625
Total: 625, x 2 = 1250 XP

Major Quest: Escape Smuggler’s Shiv.
1 x L5 quest, 200
Total: 200, x 2 = 400 XP each

Subtotal for encounters and quests: 3200/5 + 250/5 + 1250/5 + 400 = 1340 each

Time Experience

The last award was for May 30. The month is not complete, so I’ll call that 3.5 months.

3.5 months @ level 5 (May 30 to September 23) = 1169 XP

Experience Total: 1340 + 1169 = 2509 XP each.

DM CREDITS
3.5 months (May 30 to September 23) = 7 credits for Mewness.

LOOT

Item
Kane: ancient golden Magari calendar disk. This is a special item. It is essentially beyond price, but selling it will incur the enmity of the Magari, from whom it was stolen long ago. Returning it to a Magari priest or king will earn Kane the favor of that leader and his or her people and possibly bring another benefit at the DM’s discretion (a boon from a Magari god would be appropriate).

10000 gp from treasure box, divided 5 ways: 2000 gp each

Time Gold
3.5 months @ level 5 (May 30 to September 23) = 1631 gp each

Total: 3631 gp each.
[MENTION=57009]Dekana[/MENTION] [MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION] [MENTION=6676736]Pentius[/MENTION] [MENTION=6676989]GROMkill[/MENTION] [MENTION=1642]BenBrown[/MENTION]

Thank you all for participating in my adventure! I apologize once again for getting so burned out at the end. I really enjoyed the roleplay and had a lot of fun with this group.

Please note that if you take these characters on to a new adventure (or retire them) you will need to go through the approval process once again, so make sure your sheets are in order. Links to ALL the experience awards for this adventure can be found on the first page.

jbear

First Post
[MENTION=14889]Mewness[/MENTION] Thanks for the wonderful adventure. I will miss it. If you ever get another game going I'll jump in with both feet whatever the system you choose to run.

With character approvals, can you give us 1 approval as you've followed the PCs all the way through?

Dekana

Explorer
Castile insists on accompanying Jade on his journey back to the Valley. "After all, you might get lost or captured again if I'm not around!" Despite her stated reasons, one can't help but notice the dwarf girl blushing whenever Jade gets too close.

OOC: Thanks Mewness for a great adventure! We may have lost a few people along the way, but I thought everything turned out very well.

Castile is hereby retired. I'll have her tag along with Jade if that works.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=judge]
GM: FINAL AWARDS

(pending approval by [MENTION=82251]TwoHeadsBarking[/MENTION])

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Encounter 1: The Silent Isle (removed one of the controllers from tally, as the fight never finished and this monster was not really engaged much anyway)
1 x L7 elite (fungus god), 600
4 x L5 soldier (fungus zombie), 800
1 x L5 controller (blood shroom), 200
Total: 1600, x 2 = 3200 XP

Minor Quest: Find the Nightvoice for Gelik
1 x L2 quest, 125
Total: 125, x 2 = 250 XP

Minor Quests: Keep Aerys, Gelik, Ishirou, Jade, and Sasha alive.
5 x L2 quests, 625
Total: 625, x 2 = 1250 XP

Major Quest: Escape Smuggler’s Shiv.
1 x L5 quest, 200
Total: 200, x 2 = 400 XP each

Subtotal for encounters and quests: 3200/5 + 250/5 + 1250/5 + 400 = 1340 each

Time Experience

The last award was for May 30. The month is not complete, so I’ll call that 3.5 months.

3.5 months @ level 5 (May 30 to September 23) = 1169 XP

Experience Total: 1340 + 1169 = 2509 XP each.

DM CREDITS
3.5 months (May 30 to September 23) = 7 credits for Mewness.

LOOT

Item
Kane: ancient golden Magari calendar disk. This is a special item. It is essentially beyond price, but selling it will incur the enmity of the Magari, from whom it was stolen long ago. Returning it to a Magari priest or king will earn Kane the favor of that leader and his or her people and possibly bring another benefit at the DM’s discretion (a boon from a Magari god would be appropriate).

10000 gp from treasure box, divided 5 ways: 2000 gp each

Time Gold
3.5 months @ level 5 (May 30 to September 23) = 1631 gp each

Total: 3631 gp each.

Approved.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
OOC: Er, Kane has to be at least level 6 after getting 2509 XP. The gap between 5 and 6 is only 2000.

Edit: Thanks THB!
OOC: Doh! You' are of course right. I was looking at 10,000 xp needed, which is lvl 7 :blush: Sorry! Levelling up now!

Edit: Done!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases