ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Session 225, Part Two - First Stop, Shale

For any number of reasons, Shale was chosen as King Baldrey’s first port of call. It was the epicentre of naval activity, home to Duchess Ethelyn (whom Harkover still mistrusted), and often the focal point of dissent and rebellion.

The night before he went there, Korrigan experienced doubts. The rest of the unit had reported their success in retrieving the Biography of Triegenes (and the alarming/intriguing news of Ashima-Shimtu’s release) and had now begun to prepare for the trial. Korrigan wished he could have been there. The philosophical debate would have addressed several important points for him. But he put these doubts aside, reasoning that his own position on religious matters might have been too controversial. He didn’t care about the gods; his only concern was that people were dying as a consequence. He decided to leave the matter to Leon and the others.

In Shale, he met with Ethelyn at her glum seaside ‘palace’ and listened to her report on the navy. Now that she benefited from the Rites of Rulership once again, she was more hale and had dispensed with her walking stick. Kai was very glad to see her and she did a lot of talking through him. (“Tell your father… Perhaps your dad would know if…”) All the while, Korrigan studied her, gauging her level of commitment. She sensed his scrutiny and addressed the elephant in the room. “I’ve already read your treatise, your majesty,” she said. “I make no attempt to exonerate myself when I say you are the change we were looking for all along.”

That morning there was a naval regatta, with fireworks, torches, and ships lit up by druidic faerie fire. (The absence of the sun was never more glaring than during moments such as these, when darkness was the least appropriate.) Korrigan gave a rousing speech to naval personnel, then went on a walkabout to meet and greet the common folk.

She was a few feet away when he spotted her: a young woman whose face was angry and dark, at odds with the celebratory mood. While continuing to shake hands and make small talk, he assessed her threat level and determined it was low. Should he avoid her? He chose not to and when he drew adjacent, she said something too low to be audible above the general hubbub of cheering and singing. Then she spat at him. At once, she was manhandled roughly and cries of derision rose up from the crowd. Korrigan ordered her release, and drew her aside, dishevelled and quivering. He asked her to repeat what she had said.

“My son, has been deathly sick for weeks. Many of us with children such as your own. Yet the crown does nothing. You do not care about the common folk.”

Korrigan used her name, though she never gave it. “Cosandria, I promise I will look into the matter as soon as I am able.”

“You have the power of healing. Everyone knows,” she said.

But the king could not go round healing every sick child in Risur, he thought. It would not do to open the floodgates in such a fashion. So Korrigan repeated his promise and moved on.

The matter weighed heavily on him throughout the rest of the day. He determined that he would look into it personally, and in doing so he might as well begin with Cosandria’s son. At which point he realised it might have been better to agree to do so publically, perhaps even drop everything and go straight there. That would have made a more positive impression. (What later generations might refer to as 'optics'.) His instinct was to be honest and practical, but how much goodwill would that foster?

With no small inconvenience, he disentangled himself from later engagements and went to visit the sick boy. Cosandria was overwhelmed and apologetic. While Ayesha calmed her and sat her down, Korrigan knelt down beside the boy. Next to the bed, an old nursemaid or midwife sat knitting. The boy was indeed deathly pale, unconscious and breathing raggedly. While he examined him, the old woman leaned closer and out flicked a forked white tongue.

“So, the king of Risur shows his face,” she said, now she had his attention. “We have tried to send you a message, but you would not hear us. These little ones have suffered longer than they might have. Dozens and dozens of them, same age as your boy. Speaking of which, the master wants him. You have two hours to deliver him to Cauldron Hill, or the afflicted firstborn will die.”

Korrigan resisted the temptation to strike the old woman, but stood to loom over her. She laughed at him. “You may have barred old Greenteeth from Risur with your kingly powers, but she has not set foot upon your soil. Still, she awaits you on the hill.”

The old woman had spoken loudly enough for all to hear. Ayesha took hold of Cosandria’s wrist for fear she would attack the crone herself. “Begone, false healer,” she said. “Your fate will find you elsewhere.”

The old woman departed, cackling. “Oh, and don’t go calling in your fearsome friends. All it takes is a word, remember…”

Cosandria began to sob. “My poor boy. All the same age, all firstborn.” She looked at Kai, who took his father’s hand. “What will you do?”

Korrigan cast his mind about for who to call for help, then realised he needed to handle this matter alone. Ayesha was here, though, and together they studied the sick child for any clue as to the nature of this malaise.

“A curse, laid by the master of the White Tongue,” said Ayesha. “It must be powerful indeed to affect so many.”

When they were done, Korrigan turned to Cosandria and said, “We cannot help him here and now. But I will do all in my power to end this mystical disease. You have my word.” Then he left, heading back to the Duchess’ palace.

gideonpepys

I like this development. Very eerie.

Thanks. A nice example of necessity being the mother of invention. Well, sort of. I had the idea for this, or for something similar, but couldn't see how I could get it to play out with a full complement of players. Then circumstances threw up the following: Korrigan's player was out for two weeks (so he wasn't with the main party); then everyone but Korrigan's player was unable to make the next session (which would ordinarily cause me to cancel). Et voila - the perfect opportunity to develop this plot-line before adventure #12.

gideonpepys

Session 225, Part Three - Trail of Filth

Determined to handle the matter without recourse to the unit, Korrigan nonetheless levelled with Harkover Lee, unable to explain his continued absence in any other way. He gave the Principal Minister strict instructions not to share the situation with anyone else. “I will go to Cauldron Hill and deal with it myself.”

Lee pleaded with him not to do so. “This cannot be the work of Greenteeth alone. No mere witch or hag could affect so many.”

When asked what the full extent of the disease was, Harkover said that all firstborn males of Kai’s age had been so stricken. They had not brought the matter to the king because it was deemed to be of minor concern, and the personal nature was not known. Lee apologised. “It may also explain the strange missive from the Chief Inspectress of Bole. She said that both Ochran and Katlin Eisner had insisted they had a message for you. We dismissed them as cranks.”

Korrigan dismissed all this and focused on the present: given the level of power involved, did it mean that the Voice of Rot had returned? “A strong connection with the land would be needed, certainly,” said Lee. "But even Leon the Clever could not travel to and from the Gyre."

Once upon a time, Korrigan had been a devotee of the Old Faith, in the same dutiful way he had adhered to all of the traditions of his homeland. Falling back on this knowledge, Korrigan remembered Leon’s powerful patron – an exarch of the Voice of Rot known as Avaagdu. Avaagdu was a swamp creature, and had grown jealous when Leon relinquished his patronage and chose instead to serve the Unseen Court. Most recently, it had lain in wait for Leon near the cave of the Thinker, and sought to ambush him (to no avail). This was the first sign of outright hostility, but had been ignored at the time. Perhaps it had been unwise to leave such a powerful foe unchecked? When he mentioned Avaagdu to Harkover, the response was electric: “Yes! Of course! That creature is the personification of plague! If he is not behind the malaise, he must know who is.”

By now he had reached the Duchess’ palace and had Lauryn Cynburg take him and Kai to the Battalion. “Can you wait for me here?” he asked her.

“I think you’re forgetting who’s asking, your majesty,” she said. In reminding him of his place, she gave him an idea…

From there, it was a short flight over the bayou to the Thinker’s cave. Korrigan set down on the edge of the swamp. How would he get Avaagdu’s attention? According to lore, the creature responded to propitiation and challenge. Korrigan opted for the latter. He sapped his own strength to tap into pure, positive energy, as Kai had taught him to do (before the sun vanished). Usually, he saved this for healing, but now he used it to cleanse Avaagdu’s swamp.

It was enough. The malformed lump that was Avaagdu arose from the slime, bellowing in protest and filling the air with rancid chife: “Who dares to sweeten my ripe waters?”

“The King of Risur,” answered Korrigan, and went on to demand answers, on penalty of punishment.

Avaagdu retched in amusement. “There is nothing to be gained by threatening me.”

“We’ll see about that.”

“There are other children on the hill,” said Avaagdu. “These have not been subject to my blessing, but taken only now, from the streets of your city, as hostages to ensure your best behaviour. So you see, no matter what happens here, you must submit to our demands. One child in return for many.”

“So it is you who afflicts the sick children?”

“Yes it is, at the command of the One-eyed Warden.”

“What does the ‘One-eyed Warden’ want with me?”

“You are greatly privileged. The master wants your child.” (Kai gave a small whimper of fright.)

“Why?”

“That is none of your concern.”

Korrigan scoffed. “Everything that happens in this land is my concern. Since you will not answer my questions, I have done with you. Your presence is no longer required.”

Then he uttered a rite of banishment, and Avaagdu – being in the king’s presence and not of this world – was shunted back to Av (or perhaps into outer space, given the current state of things). It was Korrigan’s hope that he could no longer affect the sick children from there.

With no time to waste, he flew back to the Battalion, and Cyneburg took him to Central Flint, from whence he flew towards Cauldron Hill, where he and Kai would arrive in the nick of time: just twenty minutes before the deadline was up, and half an hour before the Gyre reached its zenith.

SanjMerchant

Explorer
OK, apologies for reaching backwards a bit, this exchange

They did not charge towards him, as he expected, but one began to declaim:

“I apprehend you to be unmatched warriors whom I could call peers. I welcome you to a place of negotiation…”

A shot rang out and the ghoul fell. ...

Looking askance at its fallen brother, a second ghoul took up the speech: “ Let us set aside titles and honours and speak among the ancient stones. Much time has passed since I rode through these lands, and…”

Another shot. The second ghoul fell. ...

just reminded me of a bit of banter from the set up to my never-even-got-onto-the-damn-Coaltongue attempt at running this:

I posted about how non-lethal KO's were being handled at said this:

(Plus, I'd like not to have to write up a lot of replacement NPCs, thank you.)

To which one of my players naturally responded:

Player: I shoot Bunthar Jorgensen!
DM: (rolls dice) Well, he's dead. Coincidentally, a man steps out of the crowd and introduces himself as…uh...Junthar Borgensen. He tells you that the Illuminati is planning—
Player: Shoot him!
DM: (rolls dice) Dead. But, uh, Jorgen Buntharsen steps forward and—
Player: BANG! BANG! BANG!
DM: …You find a journal.

gideonpepys

Session 225, Part Four - Unexpected Help

Unexpected Help

Well aware of the historic parallels, Korrigan could not decide whether to head for the Hunch or for the summit. Even in this light, and at this distance, he could see something large up there. He used his mind’s eye to take a closer look and to his surprise saw that it was an undead whale, hovering expectantly in mid-air: the vessel of sea-hag Weary Enid.

The Hunch was pretty close now, so he decided to check it out first, as that is where the Red Contessa had kept many of her hostages.

As he flew he thought about Jenny Greenteeth and her ongoing attempts to take his son, all the way back to her manipulation of the River King, to whom Kai had been promised by Korrigan’s wife. It was Greenteeth he sought to avoid when he withdrew to the Hidden Valley, at Leon’s insistence: Leon had followed many threads, and many timelines, to find a way to prevent Kai from being taken. Now he thought of it, he remembered the tale of the ‘Dream Team’ who had discovered Greenteeth and her coven at the heart of a blight that afflicted the Upper Dreaming. How many had there been? Greenteeth herself, and Weary Enid, both of whom might now be here. Blue Meg, the Swamp Hag, Ambertain the Black, and Gorago the Annis Hag (all deceased, courtesy of Leon). And Lavanya! She had been there! (Korrigan made a mental note to chase this up with Leon, but for now he put it aside as the Hunch was near at hand.*)

His sudden arrival surprised the six lesser witches who were huddled around a dark fire that burned without light or smoke. Dotted in a circle around them were twelve posts; to each post was tethered a frightened child; each child was attended by two ghouls. These were no ordinary ghouls, Korrigan noted. They were lacedons, sea ghouls, fattened and empowered in some nefarious way.

Though they cried out in terror at the thud of his landing, and were not expecting him to come here, the witches feigned insouciance:

“Ah, the king arrives at last…” said one.

“Just in time,” said another.

“Give us the child!” said a third.

All chanted together: “The master wants him! The master needs him! Give us the child! We must send your son to the master!”

“Your master has no power over me or my son,” said Korrigan. “The only thing I’ll be sending him are his servants. I’ve already sent one. You can follow.”

This was a gamble. He was outnumbered and the children were at grave risk, but what else got he do? Handing over Kai was out of the question. So he withdrew a magical item he had carried since the assassination of Aodhan, a powerful holy symbol that had been kept in the royal vault: The Symbol of the Sun. Imbuing it with his own physical essence, to power it where Vona once had done, he raised it aloft and it lit up the Hunch. The ghouls recoiled, stricken by its glare.

At once, the witches evoked a combined hex, but even working in concert they were not powerful enough to curse the king of Risur.

Using the Symbol had bought him some time, but the peril was still evident: Poor Kai cried, “Don’t let them die for me, daddy!” What could he do to bring these creatures to heel all at once? He tried to intimidate them:

“You are fighting a whole nation. You have no chance. I have already banished Avaagdu. Step down, call off the ghouls and you will be spared.”

The witches quailed and cried out together, sentences overlapping: “We cannot do so! They’re not our ghouls. Foolish king! They answer to Weary Enid!”

“And Weary Enid will answer to me!” said a bold female voice from the darkness above them.

Stiff winds swept across the escarpment, brought about by Gale’s arrival. With her, borne aloft by her sorcery, were eight huge spiders each armed with what appeared to be an autocannon! While Gale summoned tornadoes to toss some of the ghouls aside, the spiders opened fire on the others.

The witches took to the air at once and fled towards the summit. In moments, the ghouls were all dead, and Gale and Korrigan were busily freeing the terrified children.

“Your majesty,” said Gale, as they worked. “These gentle spiders came to me with news of the children’s abduction. Your flare drew us here just in the nick of time, it seems.”

The spiders nodded and said, in eerie unison, “The Trash Heap ordered us to take them. We refused and came to Gale.” (So the Trash Heap worked for the Voice of Rot too? That made sense, at least. What about the autocannon?) “The Clockwork King gave them to us, to help defend the city. If the Obscurati come, the Nice Spiders will save the day!”

It was too much to take in. The children were free, though some were sobbing. Kai encouraged them to be brave. The king still had business at the summit, but going it alone felt foolhardy. He decided that they should take the children down the hill first, then try to head off the witches.

On the way, he contacted Dale and Isaac. They said that townsfolk had already gathered at the gates of the mayor’s mansion, clamouring for aid. (Korrigan had noticed a commotion when he passed over earlier, but had chosen to ignore it.) So it was in full, public view that the king, Gale and the Nice Spiders arrived to reunite the kidnapped children with their loved ones. A quick acknowledgement was all they had time for (Korrigan was sure to give Gale the spotlight) then they were off again.

By now, the Gyre was almost directly overhead. They could see the rocks themselves wriggle loose and fly upwards. The undead whale had begun to rise higher and higher into the air, rotating gently as it went. They picked up speed, then felt the tug from above and veered away just in time:

The whale and its occupants vanished, swept upwards in the blink of an eye. Everything on the hill was drawn into the sky, towards the Gyre, for several minutes until the nebula had passed its zenith.

When the danger was over, Gale, Korrigan and the Nice Spiders scoured the hill for a time, but could see no sign of any witches.

End of Session

*The relevant entry can be found on p46 of our ENWorld forum thread; #454 to be precise. All of that Dream Team weirdness is covered on pp44-46.

Last edited:

Tormyr

Adventurer
So many quips come to mind:

"The spiders are coming! The spiders are coming!"

"If these are the 'nice' spiders, I would hate to see the scary ones."

I always struggle with one-on-one sessions, usually leaning them toward dialogue instead of combat. How did it go for you?

gideonpepys

"If these are the 'nice' spiders, I would hate to see the scary ones."

Heh. I was going to call the chapter "No more Mister Nice Spider", but figured that would give the game away. They're still nice, though. Just helping to save the children. :angel:

On reflection, I think this development must have been inspired by the Tachikoma in the Ghost in the Shell TV show, high-pitched voices and all.

I always struggle with one-on-one sessions, usually leaning them toward dialogue instead of combat. How did it go for you?

To be honest, I hadn't thought about it, so I suppose I didn't see it as a problem. (Which is good, because we'll be switching to Invisible Sun after this, with its patented 'Development Mode'...) But on reflection, I had set it up as a mystery, with the idea that any major combat would be truncated by the arrival of the cavalry. (This was done more to avoid session overrun. I had a few other 'outs' up my sleeve just in case.)

I really didn't know what direction the session would go. Couldn't be sure Korrigan would go after Avagdu first; or that he would aim for the Hunch. One likely outcome was that he would head to the summit earlier and tangle with Greenteeth, Enid and the whale. But that didn't happen, so we'll be seeing them later...

Remove ads