ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Questionnaire Redux - Surprise Bonus Entry

And here is the unique perspective of another member of our team. :eek:

Briefly describe your character's personality (as you see it) emphasizing any changes or developments since the start of the campaign (and/or the reboot).

I don’t know. I think I’m like my dad. Uncle Matanaga said boys are after their dads. Dad said sometimes I remind him of mum. But I’m not a girl... And sometimes I’m like Uru. Yeah, sometimes I’m totally Uru.

Role within the unit. What's your specialty?
I don’t know... I help dad sometimes, I guess. Oh, and I helped Uriel figure out the new planets! That was fun! And I like to play with Uru. And with Gupta.

Outline your relationship with other unit members.
I like Uru. He’s creepy and really fun! Sometimes he is too creepy though... Do you know he has a secret garden where all the lost children come to play?! I wanted to go to his garden too, but he said different kind of children... Oh, and he has Little Jack too! He has lots of cool toys! And he said when he goes to live in his mountains I can go and live with him and he can build me a big armour like the one he had when dad was fighting titans and then I can be like a titan too and we will build a bigger garden for all the children and only children will be allowed in the mountains and I can make my own secret home and put all sorts of traps in it and all the bad people I catch Uru will make spiderlegs for them... actually I don’t want to make traps.. I don’t know. But I like to play with Uru.

Oh and I really like Gupta. She is really fun. Sometimes. But sometimes she doesn’t want to play. When I was with Aunty Ethelyn we did a tea party and Gupta promised to come too. But then she didn’t. And dad said she needs to be alone sometimes. Maybe she’s angry at my dad? I want to be alone when I’m angry at my dad... But at least she smiles when everyone else is so serious. I guess she is like my mum. Dad says mum had a beautiful smile. But I think my mum had white skin. So Gupta is not like mum. But I still really like her.

I also like uncle Rumdoom. Dad said his name is actually Kagan, but I think Rumdoom sounds way funnier. He always tells great stories and they always end well. He says it’s very important that they end well. I think so too. Oh, and he can do T-Rex stomp! He even allowed me to put on his necklace and I could do stomp too!

I kinda like Uriel too. I used to like him more though. He is acting weird now, dad says he is many in one now, not sure what he means, and also more like his old friend Malthusius. I think Malthusius must have been boring. I liked how we used to tease Uriel back in the valley, and he never got the joke, and that made it so much funnier! And when we played games he was so upset when I kept making up my own rules! That was really funny. Now he is just as serious. But not in a funny way.

I miss uncle Matanaaga. Dad says he used to come on adventures with dad, but not anymore. I wish he did. He was sort of... cool. Just cool. You know?

Quratulain... She’s a bit creepy. Well, actually she’s kind of nice to me. But she wears this mask all the time. And I thought it’s strange. But then once the mask was damaged in combat, and she didn’t want me to see, but I noticed. And under the mask there was this eye.. just an eye and sort of black. Just black around it. Like she didn’t have a face. But dad says she is very good inside. She’s just suffered a lot. And I asked him why doesn’t he just heal her like he heals others. And he said that her real wounds are not those of flesh, but those of mind and those take much longer to heal. Something like that, I’m not sure. But I decided to draw her a new mask. With a smile. Maybe it would make her feel better? I wish to make her feel better, I’m just too scared to give it to her. What if she doesn’t like it?

There is also Leon. He is kind of also in dad’s team although he is often not around. I don’t like him that much. He is.. I don’t know.. weird. He doesn’t talk much. To me anyway. I think maybe he doesn’t like me. He once said he has seen me die a thousand times. Creepy, right? But dad says if he had to name one man who is the real hero it’s Leon. So I guess he’s alright.

Anyway I think my dad is the best hero. So Leon is like second best maybe. I like my dad best. And he is now king. Pretty cool, right? And he is very smart, and he lets me come with him everywhere. Sometimes I’m scared. A bit. But he says I don’t need to be scared because he will always protect me. So I think... maybe when we go fighting I’m not really scared myself, maybe I’m scared for my dad? I don’t want him to die...

What is your biggest achievement to date?

I don’t know. I learned to swim. I used to be scared of water but aunt Ayesha said if I am not scared to fly why am I scared of water. But it's different. I always knew how to fly! Do you know I taught dad how to fly? And then dad taught me how to swim like him. He is really good at swimming. Oh, and dad also says I was very brave when I helped save other children in the gremlin cave. That’s an achievement, right? Dad said he was very proud!

What event in the campaign has had the most impact on your character?
What does it mean?

Do you have a treasured possession and, if so, what is it?
Do you promise not to tell dad? He would be really angry. I mean, reeealy angry, I know... Uru once showed me a special bullet. He said it’s called a Vendata bullet or something like that. He said if you write a name on it, of someone you really hate, this bullet will kill them. So I... I sneaked a bullet from dad’s sixshooter... I told you never tell him, right? And I scratched Greenteeth on it. Because she killed my mum!

Describe your favourite moment(s) from the campaign so far.
Ooh! Ooh! You know what? I was scared to go with dad on adventures at first. We went to the ruined city and it was really scary, and then we went up that that suuuuper high tower and I wasn’t really scared, but then there was this mega giant man who climbed the tower to get us and that was really scary, and there was another man and dad says he is mad and he tried to kill us too and I was so scared... But then we went through a portal to dreaming, that’s a kind of place that’s... somewhere else, you know. I don’t know. And it was really cool, there were all these people wearing masks and they were funny, and then we were riding with the great hunt, and there was a giant snake, but we tricked it, and then we went to see the king, but the bad guys were attacking him and I was hiding with aunty Ethelyn while dad was helping the king, and then turned out that the king died anyway and now dad is the king? It’s kind of cool I guess. And then we came to the city called Flint... I didn’t like the city, it all went dark and people started acting weird. But then we went on a train, trains are cool, and we came to another town and there was great fire and that’s where we met the giant wolf and giant puppies! And we helped the wolf, and later dad was fighting a giant ox, and that was cooolest ever! And then we went to the caves and dad says I was very brave and saved other children, but I just wanted to help, you know. And Uru killed the huge gremlin, and now Uru is the huge gremlin... I’m not sure. I just hope he doesn’t become like that huge gremlin because that one was evil and ate children, I think. And then we went back to Flint again and there was this huge sea monster and we were fighting it too, but that one was too weird. And then we went to this island dad said was very important, but there were lots of gnolls and they are ugly and stinky and I hated there, but there was this guy that dad says used to be enemy but now he’s kind of friends with us. And you know what? He turned out to be a dragon! That was so cool! Yeah, I like going on adventures with dad! I just.. sometimes I wish I we wouldn’t have to do it all the time. I wish we could go fishing with uncle Matanaaga and dad, and I could play with the other kids a bit...

Who is the most memorable NPC and why?
Matanaaga. Is he NPC? What about aunt Ayesha? I like her... Oh, I know! Aunty Ethelyn! She is really nice. Dad says she is preparing the navy for war now. I hope she’s alright.

Whose name is on your Vendetta Bullet?
Shh.. I told you, don’t let dad hear about it!

What are your character's primary goals and priorities from this point on?
I want to help dad get back the sun and make all the people happy. And I want dad not to die. And I want a dog.

gideonpepys

Questionnaire Redux - Leon

Briefly describe your character's personality (as you see it) emphasizing any changes or developments since the start of the campaign (and/or the reboot).

Leon is more centered and focused, he feels he knows himself and his purpose. His time with Vekeshi and Kasvarina have allowed him to let go of any guilt or desire for vengeance

Pretending to be someone else, getting people where they need to be, disabling foes.

Leon has tremendous respect and love for the original members of the unit. Leon feels a sadness in that it feels like they may all go their seperate ways once the ob is removed and the world is repaired (assuming we survive).

Gupta - both Gupta's relationship with the vekeshi and her search for connection within this world make Leon feel like they had a lot in common, but also that they are taking very different paths.

Quratulain - Leon's relationship with Quratulain is almost entirely based on their current shared goals. Quratulain is too consumed by vengeance for Leon to be close to. Quratulain is extremely capable and Leon respects her.

no idea, not dying.

The death of Kasvarina , the birth of Lavanya

Leon is not much for possessions, perhaps either the Obscurati ring as a reminder of his past or the mask of the unseen court

The revelation of the Ob's goals and the sheer scale of their plans, followed by witnessing the past of Nicodemus

Nicodemus, his past and role in shaping this world. his motivations

Nobody's. Leon has left vengeance behind. The world is broken and needs to be fixed, everything else is a distraction.

Repair the damage done by Nicodemus and the voice of rot

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Questionnaire Redux - Gupta

Gupta has let go of looking backwards and wants to understand the changing world. She feels perhaps best suited to guide the powerful and is not afraid of getting her hands dirty. She bears a grudge lightly – in that she'll hold on to one for a good while.

Flexible strong second; a catalyst for others' brilliance.

King Baldrey: Gupta still chides herself for not having wholly trusted Korrigan when checking the Obscurati ring. Gupta feels the world could not have a better leader.

Leon: Gupta is inspired by Leon's calmness and humility and feels embarrassed that she might not live up to his example.

Uriel: Gupta genuinely believes she would not have honed her own skills without the inquisitiveness and wonder of Uriel. She's starting to feel a little distant now he has "completed" his past lives.

Uru: Gupta had always failed to understand why Korrigan relied on Uru from having read the Unit files — though that immediately boiled away when watching him tend to the ghost children of his garden.

Rumdoom: Though she doesn't feel close to him, Gupta admires the way Rumdoom inspires belief in his followers and trust from his wife.

Quaratulain: Gupta admires her attention to detail and her ability to take the initiative — and take the shot.

Recovering one of the weapons of Srasma and pressing it back into service.

The whole Helandra arc

Though her opinion of its contents have soured, the book of William Miller's writings, gifted by then Captain Smith and starring many (many) marginal notes from Uriel.

The Convocation when the Gestalt disguise was dropped

Benedict Pemberton and his assured charisma

Xambria Meredith.

Make Nicodemus pay for his bloody-mindedness.

gideonpepys

Questionnaire Redux - Quratulain

Describe your character's personality (as you see it) emphasizing any changes or developments since the start of the campaign:

Child Q

Unhappy little Quratulain always looked at emotional intelligence with disdain, although she approved kindly of the chance to allow every thinking being to feel pride in whichever intelligence they possesed. She thought of emotions as a good guiding force for animals and stupid (or emotionally inetlligent) people, but emotions had no positive purpose in a rational human being. Fear, pain, shame, where all counterproductive and unneccessary. Quratulain was able to recognise emotions in herself, and she always considered her feelings as somewhat a different person within her being, a person she would much rather not share a brain with. She called this amalgamation of feelings Stupid Q.

Young Q

Having being risen in the utterly repressive environment of the clergy, young Q (as well as stupid Q) only ever knew some sort of affection from their father. They both regarded him as the only male ever deserving of life; he was killed nonetheless... so much for deserving to live.

After Q "escaped" the clergy she took the most rational course of action, have a haircut, just a little deeper: Quratulain, with aid from her fantastic automaton sat in a barber's chair and got Stupid Q surgically (and excruciatingly painfully) removed. No more fear or guilt or pain, Stupid Q was left scattered around the floor in a gooey mess. Upon having undergone further body readjustment Quratulain was finally pure and stainless.

Now as a free woman not conditioned by the clergy, she could devote every minute of her waking life to kill them. Quratulain was in fact certain of her righteousness: no god ever stopped her from killing his servants, therefore these gods either approved of it, were not bothered by or simply didn't exist. Quratulain called this her special "win, win, win situation".

Modern Q is liberated

Being eventually imprisoned again for 500 years, Q was one lucky day liberated by one of these "emotionally intelligent" guys and his gang of freaks. What a cute and diverse lot they were. Since such a nice guy would never last a single minute out in the real world, he had to be, of course, a deceiving liar. How manly of him.

Anyway, this Korrigan man was powerless against Quratulain, after all she had long got rid of Stupid Q. He would thus soon meet the fate deserved by every deceiving, bastard male. Of course, this would only happen after Quratualin left her prison.

What Quratulain didn't know is that Stupid Q had not been completely removed, such a thing was in fact not possible. Stupid Q was nevertheless so diminished that only someone like Korrigan (and Kai) could engage her, Quratulain was unaware of this.

Quratulain catches a glimpse of faith

Kai was the only living being Quratulain had liked in hundreds of years; being so young he had not yet done anything to deserve death, he was precious.

Free from any emotion, Quratulain stuck with Korrigan's group and fully used them for her purpose. At times she could have sworn she enjoyed their company, if such a thing could have been possible. One fine day Quratulain swore protection to Korrigan (as a means to protecting Kai), she never fully understood why she did such a thing and why she felt relief after doing so. Was Korrigan tinkering with her mind?

Some time later, Quratulain nearly died in a great fire but she was saved by this team of freaks, her wounds were the worst she ever suffered in a very long time. Korrigan (unwittingly or otherwise) restored Quratulain back to her full self. She immediately realised something was not right, and she knew exactly what. Stupid Q had not only survived but was now back in full force.

Time for a fresh haircut

Some time later, when Quratulain finally found solitude at the coaltongue, she produced from her mechanical arm a long hollow needle. She was not entirely surprised by Stupid Q's comeback for that feelbag was stubborn and relentless. In a way, Stupid Q reminded Quratulain of herself.

Quratulain's mechanical body new exactly what to do, and the long needle neared slowly but surely her now bare (and pristinely restored) lacrimal. In a few minutes Stupid Q would be sucked out as she had never existed. Something interrupted her though: at hearing a pair of little feet trotting down the corridor outside her room Quratulain stopped at once, it was perhaps the only person that could stop her on her tracks, Kai. Quratulain felt so embarrassed (embarrased? she hated that bitch Stupid Q!) she didn't dare to move.

Little Kai slipped something under her door. Quratulain was moved by Kai's innocent present. "See? He needs us both!" Stupid Q thought, "Shut up you whining bitch!" Quratulain thought back. This kid had an impeccable sense of timing.

An unlikely event

A great sense of being needed overcame Quratulain who in turn put great effort in picturing in her mind terrible threats for Stupid Q to see. "How useful we would be caring for Kai, and even a little child of our own!", Stupid Q made her feel. Quratulain intended to resume Stupid Q's extraction at once but now disregarded the idea, she instead mocked Stupid Q's feelings: isolated inside a locked room and her bottom half was solid steel? she allowed Stupid Q enjoy her pitiful motherly feelings a few hours longer as a form of revenge, what difference could it make? She would take care of her in the morning.

Role within the unit. What's your specialty

Precisely placed attack power. The best defence is a devastating attack and the best attack is a devastating attack. Any other consideration is fruit of doubt and fear.

Korrigan: At best a living being deserving of life, at worst an expert deceiving male. Quratulain has already sworn to give her life for him in either case. A success story of emotional intelligence worthy of study. Maybe Korrigan would still like Quratulain if he knew of everything she has done?

Rumdoom: Slow, unnaturally wide, graceless, impetuous and very strong. The impersonation of everything that's wrong with this world. He refuses to die despite not appearing very interested in living, make up your mind Rumdoom! He makes a mess wherever he goes, however Quratulain enjoys watching how Rumdoom turns his victims into impossible shapes of goo and bone. Quratulain feels a tingle whenever Rumdoom enters battle but has not cared to consider what this means. Probably some sort of malfunction at the perceived danger.

Leon: Quratulain admires this man's intelligence, plus he has a knack for going away very quickly, how convenient. Leon has helped Q in a number of occasions and never seems to ask for anything in return. Q respects Leon.

Malthusius: He claims to be many different men, as if! Malthusius is a clever and resourceful guy, definitely one to watch out for. Korrigan approves of him anyway, so that's that.

Uru: A very effective assassin. Quratulain wonders why he hides all the time, doesn't Uru want his victims to know who is killing them? Who is bringing grief to their families? Uru has no method, just madness, but things seem to work out for him. This guy is a natural.

Gupta: The other lady in the group. Quratulain tends to trust her more than any men, even in tiger form. Q likes her determination to carry out revenge and is entertained by her remarks in the midst of battle.

Killing a surprising amount of clergymen, although there is not sense of pride or satisfaction, but of duty, and the conviction of having done what has to be done.

The near death experience in the fire and knowing that the team risked their lifes to find Quratulain.

A drawing from Kai, this is a seemingly impractical item which somehow feels of great importance. Why?

The series of fights in the court where Korrigan became the king. There were variety of encounters and there was something in which every player could shine. So many happenings in such a short amount of time, and we got shinies.

Father of Thunder. Formidable enemy, in a way it was a humorous and unexpected encounter, unlikely closure and no hard feelings afterwards.

Nicodemus and also that woman who wouldn't kneel.

What are your character's primary goals and priorities?

1. KK
2. Return all pain inflicted by everyone who has ever wronged Quratulain, as far back as she is able to remember
3. Tie lose ends, make everything right and ensure all threats are eliminated.
4. Rest

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Questionnaire Redux - Uriel

Describe your character's personality (as you see it) emphasising and changes or developments since the start of the campaign:
Uriel started as a mix of tremendous knowledge and complete naivety. For his early years he knew too much and yet has experience too little. This left him with a distinct lack of social skills as he endeavoured to help those around him, mainly by telling them what they were doing wrong.

Now Uriel has more experience than any other on the team. His past and been interwoven with both the Clergy and the Ob in interesting and unexpected ways. He has been a healer, a warrior, a leader, a seer and a wise man. His head is a busy place, currently with a few guests added in. It offers him a unique perspective on things.

Role within the unit. What's your speciality?:
Uriel has on occasion described himself as second best at everything. With five centuries of experience to draw on there is little he cannot turn his hand to. However one area in which he excels is his vast knowledge.

Outline your relationship with other unit members:
Korrigan: Korrigan is Uriel's oldest friend, having know him for many years as Malthusius. While there have been ups and downs over the course of their adventures one thing that has remained unchanged is his respect for the man and his unwavering sense of what's right. There is no one better suited to bear the weight of the crown of Risur.

Leon: The man is a most interesting sort. He weaves such complex webs of intrigue and then navigates them masterfully. While they have never been especially close Leon's loyalty is unquestionable and for that his has Uriel's respect.

Rumdoom: While Uriel and Rumdoom haven't often gotten along Jannik thinks very highly of him. Most often when battle is joined and Uriel and Rumdoom have fought side by side it is Jannik's personality at the forefront. The Monster Slayer see's a warrior after his own heart willing to go the distance no matter the foe or the odds.

Uru: Uriel often wonders what Malthusius saw in the little murderer. He thinks that maybe without the old man's guidance Uru has strayed from the path and worries about what he will become if he is ever untethered from Korrigan.

Gupta: When Uriel was just Uriel Gupta was a real anchor for him. The rest seemed to often disregard him and so he found plenty of time to talk with Gupta. As his past has filled out however their relationship has changed. While Uriel still feels very close with Gupta there are many others in his head who don't have that connection.

Quratulain: A very odd creature but one exceptionally good at what she does. She has bound herself to Korrigan, as has their other unstable and violent comrade. Maybe that is for the best as the king is a very positive influence on those around him.

What is your biggest achievement to date?: Two stand out. First is defeating Governor Stanfield. Second is using the power of a god to make a lake of booze to knockout a titan.

What event in the campaign has had the most impact on your character?:
The death of Malthusius. Without that there would be no Uriel and while I expect the past lives would have come into play they wouldn't be anything like they are now.

Do you have a treasured possession and, if so, what is it?: As a player I am a big fan of the Staff of the Hierophant and the Arsenal of Dhebisu. However for Uriel they are only tools.

Describe your favourite moment(s) of the campaign do far.: The showdown with the Stanfields was a great. From the struggle to get on the island to fighting into the keep to freeing a full power Uriel to the giant mimic staircase to the showdown on the roof to the meteor to the final confrontation were all a blast.

Who is the most memorable NPC and why?: Doctor Xambria Meredith. She has been a far more major player than initially expected when Malthusius invited her to live in his head all those years ago.

Whose name is on your Vendetta Bullet?:
A Vendetta Bullet isn't really Uriel's style, though if he thought it might work he would choose Niccodemus.

What are your chatacter's primary goals and priorities from this point on?: After the obvious - defeat the Ob - Uriel wants to focus on finding good people who want to change the world for the better and help them do so in the right way. Is it arrogant to assume he knows what the right way is? Perhaps, but having seen Niccodemus's mad plans he feels confident he can spot someone doing it the wrong way.

gideonpepys

Questionnaire Redux - Yours Truly

Your irascible guide through the world of Lanjyr.

Writing key bits of the story into the session report after I forget to deliver them at the table.

Korrigan - The lynchpin. I know Uru thinks that Rumdoom's the hero, but for me the game finds its crux in King Baldrey. From the very start of the campaign, I knew he'd make a good king, but the fatherhood element really sweetens it. (How many other parties bring their wife and kids along, I wonder?) I like the way he repeats points three times to make sure I get it.

Uru - The dark heart. So many mad ideas, some of which actually work. And those that do work brilliantly. I sometimes wonder how many potential zingers I've hand-waved away in a drunken fluster. The roll that killed Granny Allswell may have been random - but the invention of the automated corkscrew shuriken? Roleplaying! Also, I love the way he keeps us all in suspense while he works out each dice roll.

Rumdoom - The tragicomic icon. Just goes to show you that even a high-brow, philosophical, nuanced, investigative campaign can be improved by the addition of a mad dwarf with a hammer. How many dramatic exits and entrances are we on now? And how many set-piece stand-offs? Clever use of smartphone glare gives his face that 'frosty ice-armour glow'. (And the cult is spreading!)

Leon - The elegance. There's something lovely and fluid about Leon. The more straight up he behaves, the more twists I add to his story, to the point where even I can't follow it. The most difficult to predict on the battlefield too. How can someone so honest seem so mysterious? Disappears at random in real life too, which helps augment the enigma.

Uriel - The professor. I always had a soft spot for Malthusius and was sad to see him go, which is why I'm all the more glad to see him back again in all but name. (I know he's not the very same, but it's close enough, don't you think?) Still as self-sacrificing as ever. He'll do anything for you, including take your turn. (If you let him. And he's second-best at that too!)

Gupta - The New Kid. And so very subtle! I think the reboot worked so well because of the introduction of this character, and for me she epitomises the spirit of our revitalised campaign: fresh and oprtimistic, before we completely :):):):)ed her up! Some time ago, when she was complimented by the AP director, I wrote in response that it was to the player's credit that being a weretiger is the least interesting thing about Gupta. The only character who couldn't be played at the table by anyone else. (But only because no one could make head nor tale of that note book.)

Quratulain - The Old Kid? Best summed up in two words: Good grief! If I had any doubts about how hard it would be for a new character to make their mark on the campaign at this late stage, they are throroughly dispelled. Obviously, it doesn't harm that Q was designed to step into the star-making role of primary striker, and in that she truly excels. But the crazy flair and intensity is what really makes her stand out. While Matunaaga killed his enemies coolly and quietly, Quratulain does it noisily and with a vengeful heat.

I must say a few words for past characters too:

Matunaaga - The kensai. Gone but not forgotten. Such a great deal of care and thought went into his creation. So many emails! The payoff was an entire bespoke culture, and a place for the unit to hide during the hiatus! But where are they now...? The only primary ex-PC to leave the game alive. (Because deep down I'm hoping he might come back.)

Conquo -Second random character death. Another character I had a huge soft-spot for. Why did you let him die, guys? Poor Conquo. He was only four years old! *Sniff!*

Xambria - It's offical: According to the campaign director, we have the 'saddest Xambria'. And what a unique path: from NPC to artifact to Co-PC (with Conquo) to PC to Enemy to artifact again. (And I love the tension she creates between fast friends Uriel and Gupta...)

Krazy Krauss
- First random character death. And what a way to go! Like Quint into the jaws of the shark, Krazy Krauss was eaten alive by the things he feared the most. Our long-term guest player's stand-out contribution to the campaign. Weirdly, his death 'kindled' the golem heart used to power Conquo, who then went on to become our second (and only other) random character death. Coincidence? I think so!

El Perro - Okay, so he died in adventure 2, but his death meant a lot at the time. It was pre-planned, yes, but it marked the first major shift in my expectations for the campaign. And not just because until that point his player had been such a stalwart of our group. You see, until that point, I thought El Perro would turn out to be the hero! The most 'normal', identifiable character, from an audience perspective. The young, good-looking one. If this really was a TV show, his death would have been a blinder!

DMing on five pints.

Those five pints.

Ho ho. But seriously - the three-year hiatus. Nothing, but nothing, scratched that Zeitgeit itch.

Our campaign journal.

Adventure by adventure:

#1 - All the character moments from Axis that cemented my belief that this campaign would be something special. (Rumdoom crying and shovelling firegems with a melting shovel; Uru stitching up that mine foreman's mouth; Malthusius bringing canapes to a junior officer.)

#2 - Reed Macbannin's suicide. (Cos I moved it from a jail-cell into full court to maximise melodrama.)

#3 - The crazy five-way fight in RHC HQ when all the walls went clear.

#4 - When everyone except Malthusius made a deal with Ashima-Shimtu

#5 - When 'Merry Xmas' turned to 'Happy New Year' and Kell's ambush backfired on him.

#6 - The very first session of the reboot. Bringing in all of the characters one by one. (Although the Epic Rap Battle gives that a run for its money.)

#7 - Xambria's treachery. And the whole convocation. Another thing I'd waited six years for!

#8 - The way Kasvarina and her relationship with the PCs developed.

#9 - Getting Ludo Marcione involved in the assassination of Aodhan.

#10 - We only just did it, so it's all fairly memorable. Loved all the titans, obvs.

I still love Merton and Rush. Mild-mannered half-orc with head-injuries, a massive tuning fork, and a dangerous way with animals. Foul-mouthed half-elf with a fighting style based around paired immovable rods. I was waiting to play them for six years! Main reason I rebooted the campaign was to run those two.

Any NPC who gets a cheer or a groan when the reappear. (Which has happened quite a few times!)

The wig-wearing, violin-playing governor of Macdam.

My new years resolution is to stop drinking at the table, but my concern is that the pub will get wise and kick us out.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 210, Part One - Entering Ursalina

Eventually, they did receive a reply from Vlendham Heid. He apologised and said he had been asleep when they contacted him (apparently the founder of the Heid Eschatol was sanguine in the face of doom) and went on to say that he was glad his box had reached them and that the situation in Bhad Ryzhavdut had not changed, urging them to hurry nontheless.

Still no word from Uru and company, who had gone ahead to Ursalina. But Leon returned from his latest bit of business and was employed to help speed up their eventual travel from Ursalina to north-east Drakr: Some of Rumdoom’s retinue used a sending scroll to contact their brethren in Trekhom, to see if they could reopen the teleportation portal in their old meeting house (assuming it had been closed by the authorities after Rumdoom last went through). They said they would try and five hours later, confirmed that it was done.

Leon teleported through, alone and wary, but the place was abandoned, save for the Rumshcatologists who were honoured to meet him, as a close associate of their cult leader. Leon thanked them, then summoned a phantom steed, and rode all night, as far as he could, while the Coaltongue went the rest of the way to Ursalina. That way, when they wanted to get to Bhad Ryzhavdut, Leon could teleport back to the point he had reached, bringing the rest of the unit with him. (Okay, so they would be minus their airship, but better to get there in time, than too late but with air support!) An anxious Uriel pestered him with repeated sendings, keen to ensure that another comrade didn’t vanish.

As a side-note, during his brief time in Trekhom, Leon had a strange sense of déjà vu, and thought of Lavanya. Had she been here recently? Would he meet her here in the future? He did not know, and did not have time to investigate further.

Still no news from Uru. Uriel adopted his godhand incarnation, Babatunde, for close-quarters combat. Without Uru, Rumdoom and Quratulain they would be short-handed indeed.

In the distance, still many hours away, they could see the lights of Ursalina and smaller towns along the coast. To their surprise, fireworks erupted from the city and blazed into the night sky for about half an hour before they ceased.

In conversation with Korrigan, Glaucia confirmed that she did not have the ear of the Bruse just now: the Ob had got to him, and he had chosen, as always, to side with the ascendant power. But she hoped to return to court with a bombshell, once they had got to the bottom of the situation in Ursalina. Uriel pointed out that this was a poor turn of phrase – things had not gone well for the Bruse, the last time a bomb went off in his court!

Once they were close enough, cruising a thousand feet up, Gupta tried to use the Third Sword of Srasma to locate Quratulain. Worringly, there was no result! Korrigan – who had been developing his mental link with his team, practising techniques he had learned from the gith, expanded with Ottavia’s circlet, and honed since the Great Eclipse – then tried to connect with Rumdoom’s hammer. No dice! Uriel tried one last sending to no avail. Then Gupta used her sword to try to find Hildegaard and located her, somewhere down in the city.

Using another one of his new abilities, Korrigan focused and opened an ‘eye’ down at street level – somewhere dark, which turned out to be a quiet street in the Troughs. He had never tried to use this ability at such a long range. Brakken said the area is ‘rich is psychic energies’. Leon used feather fall to lower himself invisibly to street level (accompanied by Uriel in the form of an owl). Then he teleported the others down to him: Glaucia, Brakken, Gupta and Korrigan (with he and Korrigan under an illusory disguise).

There were signs of a recent celebration – streamers and banners, blowing along the streets – but everything was quiet now. Brakken scanned the area for anything like hiveminds, but he couldn’t sense anything specific – just a strange resonance.

Following Gupta’s sword, they made their way in the direction of Hildegaard. Gupta casually erased the memories of anyone they passed, just in case. The problem was, Hildegaard kept moving – frequently, and often very rapidly!

It had been several hours since the fireworks and now there came signs of a city waking up: clocks rang throughout the streets. Shops began to open up, though the shopkeepers were evidently tired, and crowds of shoppers began to build. They were passing the stall of Innwung, a goblin pickle vendor, who sat grumpily atop his barrel of pickles, glaring out at the crowd when a pair of orc police officers walked up and ordered him to open up for business. Innwung mumbled that he wasn’t going to play along anymore. The police asked him to repeat that, and the goblin yelled out, “I’m not pretending everything is normal anymore! You should be looking for the people who are missing, not bothering me. No one gets any pickles until you fix this city!” The orcs laughed, slugged the goblin unconscious, and carried him away, leaving his barrel of pickles behind.

Leon took the form of a gnoll and pursued the officers. He asked them what he should do – he really wanted a pickle. The orcs laughed and said, “Have a pickle, then. Where he’s going, a bit of theft will be the least of his worries.” Glaucia checked a local signpost. There she found a variety of notices, from an ordnance imposing a curfew, to a warning about the threat of hiveminds. Various public buildings had been closed too. Brakken scanned the inhabitants and registered an absence of deep thought, and an underlying sense of fear.

They resumed their hunt for Hildegaard, who was now some distance away, but appeared to have stopped moving since the streets busied up. On the way, Leon tried to engage passers-by. Despite being overtly cheerful, all were reluctant to talk. Leon was reminded that this was not news – that the report of Executores Nieves described this exact phenomenon. This in turn put him in mind of the merchant Flida, who Nieves described as an exception. When he asked after her shop, it turned out to be not too far back the way they came.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 210, Part Two - Flida's Finest

Flida’s shop was just across the street from Innwung’s pickle barrel. A thick faded blue canvas overhung her booth, and piles of blankets, hand towels, rolls of unbleached rough-spun cotton, and other household linens formed a wall of fabric. Behind the piles of goods, a lanky orc woman with a broad smile called out, “Need any clothes mended, loves?”

She had stringy blond hair held in place by a kerchief decorated with rose patterns, and wore a well-tailored tunic and trousers. A pocketed apron held a pair of small scissors, shears, a measuring stick, and a long length of twine knotted at intervals. As they neared she gestured them closer, speaking in a hushed voice, “Let’s get out of the sun. It’s so bright today.” She must have recognised them from earlier.

Inside, Flida was initially severe, angry and condescending because she expected help ages ago. She prodded Glaucia in the chest with a measuring stick when she tried to pull rank. She did recognised them from earlier, when Innwung was taken, and said she felt terrible for putting ideas in his head (when they were drinking together during the last, enforced celebration.)

Flida confirmed that she had met with Executore Nieves, and repeated what she told her: that about a week after the Great Eclipse many people spotted something large in the sky, glowing like maybe it had dozens of candles all over it. It was at least the size of a fishing boat, and after a few moments it simply disappeared. People talked about it for a few days, but then some of them started going missing, and those who asked questions were beaten and arrested. Now no one talks about it.

Then the Fool’s Day celebration was cancelled, and ever since then things had become steadily stranger and more dangerous. Flida had a customer in Cadagyr District—a housemaid for a wealthy house. Flida asked her to deliver a message to the Executores Lodge. She never saw her customer again, and it was weeks before an executore came by. The executore mentioned she was going to investigate the Jaula, but Flida never saw her again either.

Flida warned them not to get involved with the city guard again, as they had a habit of arresting outsiders and taking them to the governor, Lord Cadagyr. Which reminded her of an odd rumour she heard of a masked vigilante. Apparently some police were accosting a young cripple girl who was out after curfew, and were about to arrest her, when a person in a mask swept in and killed the police. When another patrol arrived, their bodies were missing. Flida wondered if this might have been Nieves, but the news she heard mentioned something about the bodies being cut apart. Glaucia growled that no executor would behave that way.

Then Flida mentioned one police officer who was different – an Officer Durgle. He had come by surreptitiously and asked Flida if she heard from any other outsiders, like Nieves, to put them in touch with him. Flida said he seemed genuine, although it could of course be a ploy. She gave them his contact details at a nearby police station.

They asked her why people were behaving so strangely, but she did not know. Glaucia wondered aloud how Flida was able to resist whatever influence was affecting the rest of the city. Brakken shrugged and said, as if it was obvious, “She is very stong-willed.”

Before they left they gave Flida a sending scroll to contact them if she needed to. Gupta asked for, and received directions to the Triunfo Vida (home to the famous minotaur bards, mentioned in one of the notices).

Finally, Flida warned them that the skies weren’t empty. She sometimes heard things overhead – hissing and moaning, that reminded her of her old grandmother’s snores before she died. She never saw anything, but felt sure something was up there.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 210, Part Three - Following Clues

They resumed their search for Hildegaard, which led them out of the well-populated mercantile region of the troughs and into an out-and-out slum, where a dirty open sewer, trapped between the upper-class hills, trickled beneath a great bridge that connected two of them. Few wanted to live in its shadow.

Gupta’s sword led them to a shack that was extended by a leather tarpaulin that formed a large porch. As they approached the door, Uriel had to throw himself aside as Rumdoom’s clockwork carriage broke out from beneath the tarpaulin and clattered off down the street. Korrigan called to Hildegaard telepathically. The carriage stopped and she looked out. Though the others were disguised she recognised Brakken straight away, turned around and disembarked.

Hildegaard was very relieved to see them. She told them that, having communed with the city, Uru brewed up a drink for them to share. Thinking it was some sort of prank, Hildegaard refused, while Quratulain said she had no need of it. Rumdoom downed the lot, and promptly collapsed. Uru then shot Quratulain, paralysing her. At once, Hildegaard had summoned the clockwork carriage and made good her escape. She had been on the move ever since, but chose this spot to rest up. She was ashamed to have fled, but Gupta reassured her that she had done the right thing. They offered to send her back to the ship, but she wanted to come with them. Once again, Korrigan tried to use his link with the unit to track the missing members, but to no avail.

Next they headed for the Executores Lodge, passing through a strange street celebration, where a paper dragon tyrant paraded through the streets. The people involved, and those watching all seemed bored, like they were going through the motions. A few orcish police officers watched from high vantage points. Brakken sensed a combination of fear, and also the sense of torpor, as if the participants were all on drugs.

They reached the guarded gate to the northern district. Leon passed through invisibly and teleported the others inside. Nice buildings and flowers, with an oddly cloying scent. The unadorned, imposing cube of the lodge was something of an eyesore. It was locked up and abandoned. Leon got them inside without touching he locks. There was no sign of a struggle. Glaucia searched the place, violently. She found a parcel that had been left behind by Salome Nieves, including her second sending scroll.

Voices outside. Orc guards pressed their faces up against the narrow windows but could make out nothing in the gloom except movement. They were confused as to how someone could be in there despite the firmly locked door. Leon got everyone out, and then answered the door disguised as Glaucia. He couldn’t open it entirely, and complained about being locked in. One of the officers exclaimed that it was impossible they could have missed her. They opened the lock and said, “You’ll have to come with us. All executores were invited to meet with Lord Cadagyr.”

Leon went with them. The others followed along discreetly.

The Cadagyr estate had a high wall painted with ornate images of epic heroes. Within, gardens led up to a three story manor with various satellite buildings. The garden was thick with flowers.

The front door, was open and illuminated, and a prim goblin butler named Trugido welcomed the officers and immediately went to check if Lord Cadagyr was available. He was, and Leon was taken inside, beyond the range of Korrigan’s telepathy. Uriel tried to keep an eye on him in owl form. The high, narrow, stained windows made this difficult.

Cadagyr was gracious and bid ‘Glaucia’ sit. He recognised her name and explained that executores had been reassigned to duties outside the city, to avoid intimidating the public during this trying and frightening time. He kept talking for a while, before a stooped hobgoblin under-butler entered and offered ‘Glaucia’ a drink. Leon was suspicious, but it wasn’t the drink he should have been worried about. Waves of psychic energy emanated from the butler, and sought to drown his own consciousness. He fought off the effect and teleported out, swiftly making his way through the backstreets to where the others were hidden. There were sounds of alarm from the estate.

Meantime, the others had spotted something. The whole area was covered in a strange, sticky mesh – the source of the cloying smell that the abundant flowers barely concealed. Brakken thought it was a conduit for psychic energy. They snipped off a section and teleported back to the ship.

OR SO THEY THOUGHT...!

End of Session

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 211, Part One - A Mind-blowing Encounter

Unfortunately, they did not arrive on the Coaltongue. Instead they pitched up on a patch of waste ground in the eastern docks. Worse, Gupta and Uriel did not arrive with them. Leon said he had felt a ‘tug’ as they teleported, and sensed them being wrenched away. Brakken thought psionic energy had been involved.

Before they could give this serious matter any more thought, they noticed movement from low buildings in the middle-distance. In response to their arrival a cadre of a dozen orcs were fanning out, even as they strapped on their ammo belts, and donned their vests and hats. These men were a cut above the rank-and-file constables, and each was armed with a carbine. Some of their number wore different uniforms and no rifles. Glaucia said they were lawmages, while raising her defiant shield to protect them from gunfire.

An officer with a plumed helmet and a slight limp strode ahead of the others, gesticulating and shouting orders that could not be heard from this distance. Finally, when they came close enough to be heard, and had fanned out to form a semi-circle some fifty feet away, he said, “You are under arrest for teleportation without a permit, and must submit your weapons to us!”

Glaucia drew herself up to her full height and snarled an admonishment. How dare he talk to a senior Executores in this way? She demanded, on his oath to the free state of Ber, that he stand down. The power of her tone and speech were sufficient to affect the officer. He froze, mid-sentence and his jaw worked uselessly and his men cast urgent, sideways glances at him.

“He struggles with competing exigencies,” Brakken told them telepathically. “It seems he is fighting for control of himself; against some outside force, I would guess.”

Korrigan used telepathy to communicate with the orc so that his men could not hear. He used the orc’s name and said that they were friends. “I can see your struggle. We are here to help. Repeat after me, ‘These aren’t the men we’re looking for.’”

The officer ran the full gamut of emotions in rapid succession from eagerness, through despair and violent anger to white-knuckle horror: “Yes! Of course! I’d be happy to, but it’s really is no use, no use at all. You bastards, leave me alone! What are you...? Oh no! Oh, god, no!” With that, he dropped to his knees and clutched at his head, dislodging his helmet. Then, with a solid crack that they could feel in their own bones, his skull split open and his brain exploded onto the ground in a bloody mess.

There was a horrified pause on both sides, before his men raised their weapons to fire. Then Leon the Clever, who had been invisible until this point, revealed himself and his Wayfarer Lantern, which he had set to Pacify. No shots were fired. Leon explained that this horrible incident was not their fault and tried to persuade the men to stand down. Brakken said these men were beginning to struggle in the same way that their officer had, and Glaucia did not want to spill the blood of any more ‘dominated innocents’. So Leon opened a dimension door and they left, taking the Wayfarer Lantern with them. From a distance they could hear shouts of horror, alarm and outrage as the squadron took possession of themselves.

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT0xeJpnrWC4XWblEk/giphy.gif

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases