ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Korrigan Follow-up

After the initial exchange between Duchess Ethelyn of Shale and Korrigan, the player asked if she thought there was anyone else she thought he should talk to. Maybe I should have posted here for ideas, but here's my reply:

She jokingly suggests that you talk to the king.

Then she asks you what happened to Kasvarina - the most senior eladrin matriarch to survive the Great Malice. What was she doing with the Ob? If she was kidnapped, why wasn't anyone looking for her? She then wonders aloud who the Vekeshi Mystics have been working for all these years? She was one of their co-founders, you know...

This reminds her of something else: she has had no word of what happened to Sokana Rell (her eladrin handmaiden - the one who tried to blow up the Coaltongue) following her arrest. Can you try to see what became of her? She was imprisoned in Danor for many years, as a trophy wife to a plantation owner, before the Duchess freed her during Yerasol III. The Duchess hates to think of her rotting in a cell. But surely they wouldn't have executed an eladrin maiden?

Now I just have to think of something interesting involving Sokana!

Last edited:

SanjMerchant

Explorer
After the initial exchange between Duchess Ethelyn of Shale and Korrigan, the player asked if she thought there was anyone else she thought he should talk to. Maybe I should have posted here for ideas, but here's my reply:

She jokingly suggests that you talk to the king.

Then she asks you what happened to Kasvarina - the most senior eladrin matriarch to survive the Great Malice. What was she doing with the Ob? If she was kidnapped, why wasn't anyone looking for her? She then wonders aloud who the Vekeshi Mystics have been working for all these years? She was one of their co-founders, you know...

This reminds her of something else: she has had no word of what happened to Sokana Rell (her eladrin handmaiden - the one who tried to blow up the Coaltongue) following her arrest. Can you try to see what became of her? She was imprisoned in Danor for many years, as a tophy wife to a plantation owner, before the Duchess freed her during Yerasol III. The Duchess hates to think of her rotting in a cell. But surely they wouldn't have executed an eladrin maiden?

Now I just have to think of something interesting involving Sokana!
Since you've got a substantial time skip, maybe she fled to Elfaivar and wound up joining Tony the Were-Tiger and his pals? (Mostly trying to think of a way to bring her back in without adding too much in the way of extraneous side plots.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using EN World mobile app

Hm, Sokana marrying into a weretiger clan is intriguing. It gives a bit more texture to possible negotiations with those eladrin, and she might be more willing to share some of the religious history about the group, which could steer the PCs toward the arsenal of Dhebisu.

gideonpepys

I do like the sound of that. Is it possible that, as an eladrin maiden, the Vekeshi Mystics secured her release?

Would she not be particularly hostile to the PCs who thwarted her previously?

She would be a weretiger herself by now, right?

Man, if only I had room for another PC in my group!

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 13 (136) Part One - Teaser

Bit of an odd one this. I ran the teaser for Schism knowing that it would go down well with my group. I also knew that it was unlikely they would jump into role and start interacting with the story, so the whole thing ran as written in the text, with just one major alteration from me.

So this part of the session report is more-or-less verbatim (because it saved me typing out my own version). I include it here, for completeness' sake, but would be happy to delete it and simply write ran the teaser at the start of session 13:

TEASER

Your ship passes close to the scrub-brushed shore, weaving between looming stones that jut from the sea, some of them even higher than the vessel’s sails. Hazy clouds and sea spray fade the island into a foggy gray, but somehow the crew navigates to a small pier.

The ride inland from the dock is brief and surprising. As you and the other passengers look out from your two carriages, the island looks wholly abandoned, and it’s hardly an auspicious gathering place for a group as powerful as the Obscurati.

You look around at the other guests: three clergy priests, a flamboyant Danoran opera singer, a dour Drakren dwarf, even a half-elf from Risur, plus a few whose nationality you can’t place. Most remain unsure of each other. But you all know Leone Quital, the steelshaper, who arranged your travel. It’s been a convoluted route, but the precautions are necessary.

The drivers bring you down an overgrown dirt road, along a weed-choked reflecting pool, and finally pull to a stop just outside a run-down mansion. Cracked and empty windows leer down at you, and even the plants that have taken over the estate are tattered and bug-eaten.

You spot two figures at the front door, and though the entry behind them is rotted, they are resplendent. A distinguished old tiefling, dressed like a head of state in a black silk suit and golden jewelry, is attended by a human in a loose coat. He whispers something to the tiefling, then lifts off the ground an ornate glass lantern the size of a small pumpkin.

“My apologies,” says the tiefling. “One drawback of secrecy is that we have to carry our own luggage.” As you exit the two carriages, your drivers hand you each a heavy iron amulet on a cord, and once you’ve retrieved your luggage they drive off.

The human with the lamp talks as he reaches into his coat and pulls out a small vial of oil.

“Lady, gentlemen, may I introduce Han Jierre, sovereign of Danor and one of the people you’ve been working for, whether you knew it or not.”

The tiefling gives a slight smile to you, then works his way down the line of visitors, greeting you each with a handshake or a bow or a subtle blessed gesture, always appropriate to your culture, always comfortable and with the practiced ease of a seventeenth generation politician.

“Leone, an honor to finally shake your hand. Monsignior Dexlano, Patre Hevny, Bishop Vigilio your grace. Monsignior Don. Oscan how’s it going? Monsieur Guiscard, Herr Hetman, Miss Hatsfield, thank you for coming so far. Mister McDruid, Sir Sangria. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” He goes on in self-deprecating fashion to explain his presence at the entry way to the mansion. “I wanted to assure all new comers that they have not been engaged in a secret Danoran military project all this time. I am not the leader of this grand conspiracy of ours, merely a facilitator.”

Then he nods to his assistant. “Bert, if you would?”

The human – who you will later learn is Bert Facie, close aide to the sovereign – has finished loading the lantern oil, and now he lights it with a quick strike of a match. A purple glow covers you, and your surroundings are spontaneously transformed: The cracked dusty ground is now also smooth and swept clean. The façade of the mansion is somehow both decayed and coated with pristine white plaster. And your small gathering has been joined by dimly visible figures on the periphery of the light’s radius: armed men.

Han Jierre asks everyone to put on their amulets, explaining that they are currently coterminous to the Bleak Gate, and the amulet will pull them through to the other side over the course of five minutes. When their business here is over, they’ll be returned to the real world via the same method. He’d prefer to hold off any questions until they were safely in the other world.

As each person puts on their amulet (including Han and Bert), they transfer into the Bleak Gate, and can now see a predominately dark world with a cloudless black sky. Only a small area is illuminated by lights from the mansion windows and lamps beside the flower bushes that grow along the reflecting pool. A dozen bookpin guards – distinguished by silver pins on their lapels that look like open books – stand just at the edge of the lantern’s light radius.

Han says, “Please pardon us as we perform a bit of security.” From outside the light radius a massive snake slithers in, at first inky black. The moment it gets into an area of bright light its scales turn a brilliant iridescent in reds, greens, and purples. It grasps the ground with short, stubby forelimbs, and its eyes glow like pale yellow suns. In this light those who have disguised themselves with shapechanging or illusions have their true forms revealed.

The guards start to level their weapons, for one of the newly-arrived guests looks like someone completely different: Monsignior Dexlano, originally a heavy-set pale priest, is now revealed as a poised, muscular dark-skinned man. As he realizes his disguise has been pierced he reaches to tear off his amulet, but the serpent moves first. Its eyes flash with blinding light, and the man’s body starts to blacken and peel away while his shadow is slowly burned into the manor wall behind him.

The rest of your group – particularly the priests – are panicked and confused. Bert Facie starts shouting for people to stay away from the shadowlisk. Han calmly taps a nearby guard on the shoulder and tells him to fetch Vicemi, and the guard runs indoors.

Ten seconds later, the intruder has been disintegrated, leaving behind only a silhouette on the manor wall. That silhouette twitches slightly, as if it is somehow still alive. The shadowlisk slithers up to the wall and starts licking the silhouette’s fingers.

The other priests nervously demand answers, asking why the snake just murdered one of their bethren. The answer comes from the door as four spectral figures glide through. Three of the ghosts hang back, while the one in front takes control of the situation: this is Vicemi Terio, leader of the Ghost Council and head of Lantern Cell. Even in ghost form he appears to be rotting and cadaverous, and he speaks with a raspy voice that reverberates unnaturally and chills all those who hear it.

“That man was a spy,” he says. “Your fellow priest was replaced and likely died long ago. You should be more careful in keeping your secrets. But we will find out how you were compromised. Macbannin.”

One of the three other ghosts walks forward. While Vicemi’s face is withered and decayed, and the other two ghosts’ features are faded like they don’t remember what they looked like in life, Reed Macbannin retains his original appearance and, having not yet become accustomed to his spirit form, still mostly walks rather than floats. He stops next to the still-twitching shadow of the intruder, casually shoos the shadowlisk aside, and draws a very solid vial of blood out of his spectral cloak.

“Really,” Macbannin laughs, “it’d worry me more if we didn’t have any spies trying to come here.”

With that he coats his hands in blood, then reaches into the wall and grabs the shadows. He yanks, and Vitus falls to the ground shivering and burnt, barely alive. The guards swarm him, search him, and manacle him. Macbannin casts another quick spell to fully hold Vitus in the Bleak Gate, then pulls off his amulet.

“I’ll take him to the dungeon,” Macbannin says. Then he grins and winks to the new arrivals. “Welcome to the Obscurati.”

As Macbannin and the guards drag the intruder away, Han introduces the you all to Vicemi Terio, and then asks the two remaining Clergy priests to stay and answer a few questions. He then enters the mansion and guides the newcomers inside and upstairs.

The interior is as opulent as the exterior, clearly designed to make an impression and express the power and wealth of the Obscurati. While you walk you overhear Han talking with Leone: “I heard about your difficulties in Mirsk earlier this month. Is it true they dragged you as far north as Knutpara?” Leone, sociable as ever, merely growls with displeasure at the memory. “Well, you are safe now, that’s the main thing. Congratulations on ridding us of that persistent threat. And my heartfelt thanks for avenging the death of my niece.”

“It was my absolute pleasure,” sneers Leone. “Ten long years of work, undone. That’s what they cost me.”

“Take heart,” says Han. “Divinations point to Methia, and there is news of Kasvarina’s whereabouts too. We will regain control of the colossus, do not fear. Go on inside. Bring your guests to the council room.”

Many visitors are already at the palace, and as you pass through the lounges on the ground floor, you see dozens of officers smoking cigars, swapping stories, or simply browsing the numerous bookshelves that are dotted about. As the group passes through a lounge, a dragonborn bard named Praesidia de Vaca does a double-take and calls out “Mr. Guiscard!” She gushes with fan-girl glee at seeing the famous opera star, and she’s gobsmacked that Gran is involved in the same conspiracy. She asks if maybe, before the gathering is over, the two of them be able to sing “The Marriage of Achaea and Hibiscus.” Gran happens to have that very piece on him, a signed copy no less, and he hands it to her for careful study, obliging her request on the condition that she pay close attention to the particularly difficult harmonies towards the end of the duet.

So far, apart from the alarming welcome, the convocation seems to be lively and convivial. Once you head upstairs and down the west wing’s second floor hallway, though, the mansion appears nearly empty. None of the hall lamps are lit, lights are visible from under only a few doors. But there is a dim red glow at the end of the three hundred foot long hallway.

In the vast room at the end of the hallway, a central fireplace roars warmly, but out the glass windows on the north, south, and west walls the whole landscape is nearly black. Together it creates the effect of light disappearing, and darkness encroaching.

A set of luxurious leather chairs are arrayed near the west windows, and one man sits smoking. His hands are gloved, and a bright silver necklace is visible around his neck, but tucked into his shirt. At first he seems alone, but as he stands to greet you, it becomes clear that a dozen or more ghosts are floating outside the windows, watching.

He says, “Call me Nicodemus. I’m glad you came. Come on. Let’s have a drink and talk. Together we’re going to change the world.”

I messed around with the timeline a bit more, jumping back to a glimpse of the party trudging through snowy wastes, then next to the point where Korrigan finds out his team has been successful in tracking down Leone:

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 13 (136) Part Two - Meeting with Stanfield

SOME TIME EARLIER

Korrigan attends a meeting in the Governor’s mansion, focused on determining how best to use Alpha Unit’s talents. (Professor Ludo Marcione has been unable to forge a truly effective unit to replace them as yet: Doctor Stanhope remains on board, but the dwarves Orum Dwist and Throgmorton were only ever on secondment from the REID and refused to work with Marcione again following the failure of their last mission. Brajham has been institutionalised. The rest of Beta Unit is comprised of raw recruits. Korrigan has offered training but Marcione bridled at the suggestion.)

Lieutenant Dale reads out a list of possible areas for focus: the increasingly dangerous Ob facility under Cauldron Hill, now coterminous with the Bleak Gate and positively crawling with ghosts and ghoulies. Then there are the Docker riots which Governor Stanfield is particularly concerned about, hoping that Korrigan will use his influence and cache with the movement to persuade them to step down from violent conflict. Korrigan states plainly that the only way to placate the Dockers is to offer real reforms and, very calmly and diplomatically, refuses to wield any influence in the absence of such reforms. He does, however, agree to look into the Cauldron Hill situation. (Korrigan also puts a word in for Leon, but that matter is still too sore to be addressed formally.)

Delft, who has been eagerly munching more than his fair share of the delicious pastries provided by the Governor’s staff, seems particularly keen to end the meeting once a direction has been agreed upon. He rushes matters, and rolls his eyes at Korrigan when Stanfield goes all wistful and starry-eyed and starts opining about his love for the city while staring out of the window. (He does that at every meeting.)

The reason for Delft’s impatience is all too clear on their carriage-ride back to RHC HQ. A duplicant sits opposite Korrigan, taking Korrigan’s form. (This is a trick the Clockwork Count perfected, and one Delft is taking good advantage of.) “They’ve found him,” Delft says. “Somewhere on the Drakren rail network, apparently. Just a matter of time before they triangulate. You need to jump to the Impossible right away, and summon Matunaaga.”

Then Delft and ‘Korrigan’ exit the cab and enter headquarters, leaving the real Korrigan to make his way to the secret teleportation circle concealed in Uru’s garden...

DM's Notes: I told the group that the exact date of that meeting would be determined by their success (or lack thereof) in the manhunt for Leone, and that to establish the circumstances that gave rise to that, we needed to go back in time once again to the 1st Autumn. (I had been tempted to go back only so far as their visit to Joe Hobner, but changed by mind.) It was good to get Uru and Rumdoom out of the way, and just send Korrigan to the meeting with Stanfield, because those two hate Stanfield and would have made way too much noise, on-stage and off. (They pretty much know he's a bad guy and won't shut up about it, which is fair enough, really. But on this occasion they didn't make a peep.)

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 13 (136) Part Three - Grappa's Second Letter

EVEN EARLIER THAN THAT

To establish precisely when Korrigan was dispatched to Drakr, we need to wind the clock back even further, to the 1st Autumn. Xambria made an early morning call on Gupta at her apartment on Bosum Strand, rousing her with a sharp knock. “Door’s open,” called Gupta and Xambria stepped inside to be flustered by the sight of her casually naked, dressing partner, and the bare arse of her current beau – the achingly eligible Jasco Danforth, eldest son of a timber magnate who, rumour had it, was threatening to throw over his fiancé for love of Gupta. Xambria withdrew behind the door, not at all comfortable with so much bare flesh, and explained that they had been summoned to HQ. Not a lead on the Ragman case, apparently. Something else.

The ‘something else’ in question was a sealed letter, bearing the hallmarks of a second missive from Alexander Grappa. Korrigan had already opened it and now he read it to Uru, Gupta, Xambria and Delft:

“To the constables who pieced me together the first time I died.

“I hope this finds you well, and you recall your association with me: Alexander Grappa, also known as “the mindmaker.” To my own surprise, I remain alive, and in a position to help you, if you can help me first. This is my second letter to you. I hope that this one makes better speed than my first, which I sent some time last Winter, to no avail. Now the circumstances are even more urgent, as an opportunity to make the most of my peculiar circumstances has recently arisen.

“Please allow me to explain: When my golem host was destroyed I was able to detach my consciousness, a trick I learned when my original body died. I implanted it in my killer, who you should know survived and escaped. I discovered after many weeks that I could take over his body in a clumsy and limited fashion, but only while he sleeps. Thus am I able to read his correspondence, and occasionally risk adding my own. The occasion of my first attempt to communicate with you was his audacious return to Flint, an opportunity to apprehend him which has passed us by. But fortune has smiled on us, for had we captured him then, the ripe circumstance I alluded to previously would never have presented itself:

“It would appear that towards the middle of Autumn he will be coordinating the transportation of ten seemingly unrelated individuals, ensuring that their travel is difficult to track. There is some grand convocation coming soon, one he is invited to as well, and there is a window wherein a group of motivated investigators could, with perhaps some inside assistance, locate the man within whose body I am an interloper. If you are able to take him alive, my nocturnal researches have revealed a method by which I may take permanent control of my host. I will then be able to guide you to the secret convocation so that you may strike a blow against those who have worked against your nation.

“Please do not attempt to contact me by sending or similar magic. I do not know if my host would receive it instead. But act soon. My unwitting host’s schedule shows him leaving on the 75th of Autumn, and the convocation begins on the 79th, on the night of the full moon.

“I have read about your recent activities in Ber, as my host has an abiding interest in and loathing for each and every one of you, and has foreign newspapers that contain your mention dispatched to him. Beware of him. He is a very dangerous and highly vindictive man. Indeed, it was their recruitment of him, and my own intense dislike and loathing for him, which began my disillusion with my former associates.

“Once again, I will slip this letter into his outgoing mail and pray that it reaches you in time.

“Perhaps you can track the postmark to narrow in on his location?

“—Alexander Grappa

“P.S. Don’t forget to bring mage cuffs fashioned from something non-metallic.”

The possibility of pursuing Leone had already been discussed, but the risk was decided to outweigh the potential benefits. Until now. Delft had not been idle, however: He presented the unit with a dossier on Leone’s movements when he returned to Flint six months ago, including his departure aboard the Danoran ship Cold Vessel, bound for Alais Primos. Delft also said he had Joe Hobner, an ex-RHC man (and one of Delft’s old unit members) who happened to be based in Alais Primos keeping an eye out for Leone for the last few weeks. Delft vouched for his old comrade, but couldn’t guarantee he hadn’t been replaced by a mimic, doppelganger, duplicant or other shapeshifter! They should check in with him and see what he had found, if anything.

The plan was to keep Korrigan, the most visible unit member, in Flint, and send Xambria, Gupta and Uru to Crisillyir aboard the Impossible. They would travel under assumed names, with Uru masquerading as Xambria’s son. (On the way they would be joined by their ‘elderly father’, though Delft had to step out of the briefing room when Leon’s involvement was mentioned.) As soon as they got close, they would send for Korrigan, Rumdoom and Matunaaga. Rumdoom was already in Trekhom in any case, seeing to Rumschatological affairs.

Despite real caution – Leon checked his credentials and discovered Joe Hobner had been distracted and ignoring his affairs lately; while Uru discovered that his house was occupied by a man other than the one who answered the door – the manhunt team nonetheless fell victim to another Obscurati trick: Joe Hobner had been replaced by an Ob assassin shortly after he began nosing after Leone Quital. This assassin poisoned their drinks. Uru noticed after he took a few sips, and Xambria – needless to say – hadn’t touched hers. The assassin darted for a bathroom and locked the door. While the others struggled to recover from the poison, Xambria overclocked her intricate new body and accelerated towards the locked door. A sudden hole was blown in it, right next to her head, through which she could see the assassin defenestrate himself. She smashed down the door, hurled herself through the window, and was up on her feet before he was, drawing her gun. But the assassin a fired strange arcanoscientific device that paralysed Xambria, and then dashed into the bushes. A shot from Uru (who had made it outside) felled him as he went. The bushes began to rustle alarmingly and the (dead) assassin was then dragged from the bushes four kobolds, whose snare he had fallen into.

The kobolds had a cart standing by, and they loaded the poison victims into it. At a clergy church they paid for priests to cure them. Then they invited them to meet their boss, who was to be found in the vestry, sat atop a pile of books even bigger than he was: a black-robed kobold, with carefully cultivated fleshy whiskers, reading a small tome. This was El Extrano, spymaster of Ber:

“I know all of your names. Do not be impressed yet. It is not impressive because I did not need my many loyal eyes for that. I work for the Bruse, and he told me your names while we ate dinosaur eggs in his castle. Still, it is not time to be impressed.

“I became interested in this conspiracy that has caused so much trouble, and I knew if I were them, I would kill your spies. Also, I knew where your spies were. Do not be impressed. It is not hard to guess that a former constable would still spy for his country. When he became interested in Leone Quital, my eyes watched his home. Sadly they could not save him from this assassin. But then they watched the assassin, and now we have saved you.

“Leone Quital was spotted on the 28th of Spring in the Cathedral of Triegenes at Enzyo Mons. Do not be impressed that I know you are looking for him. His former associate, the gnome named Oddcog, cursed the man’s name repeatedly while he fitted me for my own mechanical battle suit. It was natural you would seek the Steelshaper at some point.

“We will work together. My eyes will follow you, look for threats and targets around you, and share what they see. If you disagree, my eyes will send couriers to share what they see, so that you don’t get upset and kill any of them. You should read this book, so you respect the value of little people.”

He closed the tome in his lap, then tossed it to Uru. Uru caught it, and the kobold vanished in a puff of smoke. When it cleared, he was gone, along with the stack of books he was using as a stool. The tome was a Codex of the Little People, and Uru at once took it to heart.

gideonpepys

Session 13 (136) Part Four - International Manhunt

INTERNATIONAL MANHUNT

With the help of the dozens of kobold spies now at their disposal, the team assembled by Delft proved itself ideally suited to the task of an international manhunt: Leon’s facility in obtaining information from total strangers; Gupta’s connections, and her ability to erase the memories of those they had spoken to; Uru’s keen eyes and ears, and his unrivalled stealth; Xambria’s keen intelligence and her ability to offer specific, salient advice – all contributed to expedite what might otherwise have taken months. In under three weeks they had followed Leone’s trail to Trekhom, where they were joined by Rumdoom. To avoid a blow-by-blow account of their hunt, here instead is the account of Leone’s travels they were able to piece together:

Leone debarked from the Cold Vessel and went to a church as is traditional. In this case it was the Chapel of St. Tromboni, a humble building with pink plaster walls. Nothing of interest happened there, and he left amidst a large crowd when a mass let out.

From there he got new threads at Broclofa Apparel, a clothier shop, and then he rented a room across the street from Glazier Charani, a shop that sells glasswork and carries a small selection of premium wines. Over the following days he traveled little around the city, mostly using a young girl named Emmelsa to fetch him food and books. Leone has a fondness for Bromago cheese, and he made a special request for a pound of it.

There are only two shops in the city that carry Bromago. Eight days later, on Spring 28, a delivery arrived at Glazier Charani from the Quital Vineyard, owned by Leone’s family. Quital spoke with his nephew Piginni Quital, who was running the delivery. He arranged for them to rendezvous at Enzyo Mons, a nearby volcano, where he chucked the damaged head of Grappa’s previous golem body into the lava. This was his offering of sorts, presumably hoping to be protected from any further bad luck.

From there he hitched a ride in his nephew’s wagon out of the city back to his family lands. He stayed with the family at the next estate over, the Cejakreig Vineyard, arriving on Spring 35. He had his nephew deliver a letter to Vendricce and leave it in a deaddrop at a public park near the rail station on Spring 44.

On Spring 47, a rider arrived with a near-dead horse at the Cejakrieg Vineyard and handed over a package to Leone. The package included a syringe (similar to the one found on Lya Jierre). When Leone injected the courier, the courier began speaking in a different voice and his first priority was to ask for a cigarette (a pack of which was included with the syringe). They discussed plans while the courier chainsmoked. Leone left the next morning and caught an Avery Coast train west to Nalaam. There he linked up with a cadre of Obscurati agents, rode into Trekhom, and on Spring 50 purchased two entire rail cars and had them modified to his specifications. He has been riding the Drakren rail system ever since.

By now they were clearly getting close, and were set upon by an Ob strike team in the rail enclave. They were able to brush this attack aside easily, and established that their curiosity had been noted by a voyeuristic satyr named Krampus Snow, who waited in a tower some distance away to hear from the assassins by sending. They tracked down Snow, forced him to alert his superior – one Bert Facie – that the mission had been a success and then wiped his memory of their encounter.

Three days after their arrival in Trekhom, the kobolds summoned them to a meeting in a needle factory after dark. Two kobolds with pistols guided the group in, and in the heart of the factory El Extraño waited for the group, absent-mindedly grinding points on the tips of short pieces of steel wire, then punching holes to make the needles’ eyes. He said nothing to the group, and responded to questions with wordless shrugs or some variant of “eh.” Eventually, when their demands became more explicit, he gave them a long look, rolled his eyes, then stood up and walked away. But on the table next to him he had left a folded sheet of paper containing details of Leone Quital’s complex train schedule. The note directed the unit to seek out Leone in Mirsk. If they hopped the first train the next morning, they could get to Mirsk half an hour before Leone’s train.

“Time to start whittling,” thought Uru.

End of Session

DM's Notes I set the difficulties really high, but the group totally aced this. They couldn't have been more ideally suited to the task, and that is always a rewarding experience for players who have put XP and training into non-combat abilities. With travel time thrown in it took them just 18 days to track Quital to Drakr; three more to triangulate on Trekhom. Korrigan's player sat out the whole session. Afterwards he said it was great to just sit back and watch his team at work.

El Extraño was based on the idea one of our Admiral o' the High Seas Kickstarter backers, Michael Hart, proposed. He was always fun to write.

I'm curious how players feel about him.

Remove ads