4e: PHB3, Monks, and the Gate Pass "Initiate" feats

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I could not find any reference to it in this forum. If I missed it, please redirect.

My gaming group is looking to start a 4e WotBS campaign with myself as the DM, and one of the players is looking at playing a Monk. (Specifically, a Pixie Monk from the new "Heroes of the Feywild" book. I kind of hope the humor value fades before the campaign starts, but do as thou wilt.) Obviously, he is looking at the "Initiate of the (X) Wind" feats, specifically, the East Wind (adds 1d6 lightning damage to unarmed attacks).

WotBS 4e was put out before the Monk class was introduced in PHB3, and as written, the Monk class -- which does not have Arcana as a class skill -- cannot qualify for the Initiate of the Wind feats without either taking Skill Training in Arcana, or multi-classing into a class that allows them to train in Arcana. However, the Initiate feats are still unavoidable pre-requisites for the related paragon paths (which list "Monk or Sorcerer" as the required class).

Has there been any errata (either from ENWorld or by general player consensus) as to how to handle this situation? Is the Arcana training a feat tax for Monks who want this extra upgrade to their MUS, or who want to qualify for the relevant paragon paths? Or was "Monk" agreed upon as an alternate pre-requisite for the feats (in which case, is IotEW considered overpowered)? I can come up with something on my own (which will probably simply be "yes, the Monk class qualifies you for the feat") but if those who have gone before have discovered wisdom, I am all for hearing it.

Thanks! We're all really looking forward to this campaign.

Selganor

Adventurer
As I interpret them, the "true" Two Winds Monks aren't just Monks they are multiclassed (or maybe even Hybrid?) Monk/Sorcerer (East Wind) or Monk/Cleric (West Wind)

I'm pretty sure if we'd had access to the Monk class when the WotBS 4e player's guide came out, they would have been proper monks. Or perhaps hybrid monk/sorcerer and monk/clerics.

Alternately, East Wind and West Wind training might be themes, so any PC who trained at the monastery could have a free 'full discipline' encounter power that fits the monastery's schtick.

Peter FdH

First Post
We're also looking to start this campaign soon (in January) and my thought on this feat was that it was a bit overpowered compared to other Heroic tier feats (that typically do +2 damage). I'm considering allowing the feat but reducing the damage bonus to 1d3.

Like the OP, if there are any errata out there, I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction...;)

ve4grm

First Post
We're also looking to start this campaign soon (in January) and my thought on this feat was that it was a bit overpowered compared to other Heroic tier feats (that typically do +2 damage). I'm considering allowing the feat but reducing the damage bonus to 1d3.

Like the OP, if there are any errata out there, I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction...;)

One thing to consider: The PHB3 Monk rarely makes unarmed attacks.

Its melee basic attacks are unarmed strikes, but its powers are all Implement attacks, using either a Ki Focus or an enchanted weapon.

As such, it's going to be up to you how to interpret the intent. Should you grant a bonus to all Ki Focus attacks? All melee attacks? At-will attacks? Melee Basic attacks?

In each of these cases, the feat would need to be adjusted in different ways.

My personal preference would be the following:

Initiate of the East Wind
Prerequisites: Monk or Trained in Arcana
Benefit: Your unarmed attacks and at-will powers deal +2 lightning damage. The damage dealt by your Flurry of Blows feature (if you have it) may be lightning damage, if you wish.
There are so many feats that affect lightning damage, I think that adding it to most of your attacks, plus Flurry, will be pretty desirable.

Peter FdH

First Post
Thanks ve4grm - I really like the way you've set that out. The lightning damage kinda fits as well.

As luck would have it, one of the players has rolled up a monk hybrid so it looks as if this will get used.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases