WotBS WotBS: Inherent Bonuses?

Ajar

Explorer
:w:

I'm currently running Zeitgeist for non-local friends through MapTool and Google+ hangouts, but now some local friends have asked me to run a game for them. Given their interest in heroic fantasy specifically, I thought WotBS would be a good fit. I'm wondering about treasure, though. Would it change things dramatically to use inherent bonuses rather than treasure parcels? I know the setting depends somewhat on artifacts (hello, Torch of the Burning Sky), but do any plot points rely on the prevalence of more mundane items?

I've been pillaging this forum's history for WotBS tips, but haven't found anything about inherent bonuses in the setting. Search came up empty -- probably because WotBS came out well before the inherent bonuses rules.

Well, #2 has the Living Blade. Either Indomitability's boon or tidereaver tears are necessary in adventure 3 (or you can just say the storm winds aren't that strong). #4 had a little bit of riding horses til they passed out, using magic to keep them alive. #6 has an item that holds the firestorm at bay. #7 gets you the Torch.

Plus there are the trillith boons, which I think are just nifty add-ons. None of that, though, would cause any trouble with inherent bonuses.

Ajar

Explorer
Perfect, thanks! I'll look at those adventures and check out those items, and use that to decide which way to go. :)

Truename

First Post
I use inherent bonuses in my WotBS campaign. (Just now wrapping up #4.) It works great. I ignore that treasure listed in the adventures and just hand out what I want, when I want.

The neat thing about inherent bonuses is that you don't have to stop giving out magic items--you just don't have to give out magic items. It lets you ignore magic items as a balance issue, as long as you're not giving out too many.

So I still give out plot-related magic items like tidereaver's tears, and I hand out other magic items when it seems appropriate. And other than that, I don't worry about it.

I second that opinion. I just switched over to inherent bonuses after seeing the disparity caused by new pcs coming in kitted out.

Its much better now.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Remove ads