D&D 4E Revised 4E Wizard Class with Freeform Spellcasting System

It takes little effort to NOT suck in 4e .. I think that is the goal (ie NOT sucking should be easy and in context that means NOT being boring shouldnt make you suck.

Right, but I think that what the solution proposed in this and the other thread does is simply take the choices away entirely! I mean, what choices do you have here? To only use certain specific damage types and effects to get a rather hefty increase in damage? TBH I'd be pretty darn hard pressed not to just toss around lightning and/or thunder for 2 extra points per die of added damage (or 3 if you can pare it down to one or the other). Yes, I know, I will fight Shambling Mounds to the end of time :(

Lets look at the level 1 wizard powers from PHB1:

Cloud of Daggers - Nope, that would require a Paragon Tier delivery system, and even then the result would be different, though I will grant that the difference would probably be largely immaterial in play.

Magic Missile - Not precisely reproducible in its post-Essentials form, not even close in its pre-Essentials form. There's simply nothing like 'can be used as an RBA' possible in the 2 page wizard.

Ray of Frost - Slowed is only available in (save ends) flavor, so this is pretty close to available. I can't feel too sad about simplifying durations to be honest, though I think it may be a bit OP with save ends.

Scorching Burst - Ranges are a bit simplified, which I think is a bit of a shame tactically, but in some ways not really a big loss. This is the one at-will which is essentially reproducible. I would note that it was pretty much universally panned and only ever used in builds which focused on Fire damage, which is pretty much a non-existent optimization in stock 4e.

Thunderwave - technically not possible by the one-page rules, as you would have to add condition 'slide 3' reducing the damage to 0 dice. I note that again the granularity of the system is too large, as it ignores push.

At the very least I would suggest there would need to be a list of 'zero cost' add-ons for powers (yes this means every power use would add on something, why not). That would allow for things like push or pull, minor heroic level UEONT conditions, etc. Maybe these should be trade-outs at a sub-1d level, so you have to shorten range to 10 squares, or make an implement vs AC attack, or one of some list of other such things to buy a minor effect. As it stands now you certainly cannot produce EXACTLY any of the PHB1 at-wills, though I think a few of them you can get close enough that nobody would be offended.

I'd note that there is a distinct lowering of power level here too. The only power you can fully emulate is Scorching Burst, which was basically never used by anyone with any 4e experience due to its weak nature. I note the same issue below with encounter powers.

Burning Hands - Already a weak power, this now goes from Blast 5 to Blast 3 (or loses a whole damage die, take your pick). It was already a lemon power...

Chill Strike - This one simply becomes range 20 and Save Ends instead of UEONT. So its the most doable. It was again a somewhat weak power, though not bad. The switch to Save Ends is maybe not so bad. It also loses a tiny bit of damage, but that's splitting hairs really (average 1 point per hit).

Force Orb - This was a weird power which can simply be emulated as an area burst one. It is really another of the fairly weak encounter powers which does nothing to aid the wizard's control shtick. I expect the wizard handbook calls it purple or something like that, usable but not recommended. The two page version is no better, though by comparison to other two page options it is relatively OK.

Icy Terrain - This is a really solid control power, at least for original PHB1 wizard encounter powers. Unfortunately two page offers no options to build anything even similar, since it simply leaves out all Zone type effects entirely at heroic and has only movable ones at paragon. To be fair, this could be rectified without a drastic revision I'm sure.

Ray of Enfeeblement - Again this cannot be precisely recreated, as weakened (save ends) is a -2 die effect and there is no -1 die UEONT version of it. That could be fixed of course...

Daily Powers really are where things fall short

Acid Arrow - This one you can approximate as an area burst 1 Acid attack, and just not bother with the fairly uninteresting ongoing 5 damage (I was never a fan of ongoing damage really, it may add some color but tactically its fairly uninteresting, at least in this context).

Flaming Sphere - Well, you can do this one, pretty much, due to the fact that the two page wizard oddly provides this one-of-a-kind delivery mechanism as a standard off-the-shelf! I have no idea why that is, except I would assume U_K wanted to be able to emulate all level 1 PHB1 wizard powers... However, we now run into the omission, there's no sustain option at all at heroic!

Freezing Cloud - There are multiple omissions which make this impossible. There's no option to sustain, there's no option for a zone at all, and there's no option to increase from burst 1 to burst 2. That last is probably trivial to add (cost of one extra die, which would match this power exactly on that front). Sustain simply needs adding, badly, as wizards use it extensively in heroic.

Sleep - Yeah, you just cannot do this at all with the existing two-page system. It lacks any option for progressive saving effects, helpless isn't there at all, and you cannot create a non-damaging attack power effect. Thus we see that any somewhat outlying power is simply lost, or else significant (and potentially complex and unbalancing) options need to be added to the system.

I will note that from here we really run off the rails. At level 5 you cannot even come close to any of the daily powers, the options available would need to be extended dramatically. This tells me that the contention that all powers are merely a few minor variations on one or two options is simply wrong. You could argue that such things add nothing to the game, but I think very few actual 4e players will agree with you! Again, I think you would need to create a much less combat-centered and tactical game to pull this off!

To be perfectly honest. I think if you were to produce a reasonable facsimile of each 4e wizard power in PHB1 you'd require about 15 pages worth of rules! Odd, how that corresponds pretty well with the size of the wizard spell list...

I agree that the effects would be more regularized and probably that would make play somewhat simpler. In fact this is another area where HoML also does the same thing, there are far less little twiggy differences between powers. But I still HAVE powers!

Last edited:

That was a decent pdf. I remember buying it back in the day.

I haven't yet

You might like it.

I thought of just sliding eh scale size of squares and with many armies being dangerous terrain :p

The terrain would be the enemy army or giant monster. I had some great ideas for planet size monsters that PCs would have to face in multiple stages like Magnetic Field; Atmosphere; Surface; Underground; Core etc.

Rocket Tag... Now I know 4e gets criticized for taking longer to resolve combat I am actually fond of having battles take enough time to actually play out powers and effects like regenerates when bloodied and similar.

I agree although in practice Monsters have too much HP in 4E. As I recall my DM would halve the HP (Minions had 1 hp/level) but increase their damage by 50%, sped up the game noticeably.

It's one of many things that make 5e seem rather ho hum. In addition to lacking effects like the "False Opening" called Come and Get It.

5E is modern Basic D&D, 4E is modern Advanced D&D

;)

I think you're forgetting Dominate/Stun+Fragile…Dominate/Stun Orcus so he can't use free actions, Fragile him, then let the party Wizard blast 'em with Annihilate on their turn, then AP to ready to Annihilate as soon as someone else puts Stunned+Fragile on him.

I wouldn't let that happen - his Brutal Shake-off is designed to let him escape lock-down status effects (even if the wording may not be perfect).

Monsters do not use the same rules as the PCs. No effect that the PCs can consistently do should ever allow them to repeatedly do 1/4 of a Solo's hp. Because they will use it and then every Solo has to have a way to stop it. Which is a boring outcome of rocket tag.

We could easily design things so that never happens. I know the (Disintigrate/Annihilate) effects are maybe less than perfect but D&D used to have (Russian Roulette style) Save or Die effects and the game worked okay for decades.

Also, Orcus can't actually beat an init-optimized Epic PC on an initiative roll. +39 isn't that difficult to get to and then that's that - for a Wizard, Wis or Cha to Initiative feat+Superior Reflexes+a +8 from somewhere else. Say a Warlord in the party or a number of options that will add up to +8 or higher with 2 of them.

Even if one character wins initiative (which won't be automatic) they still have to hit (which won't be automatic) and Orcus can still block them at least once for two consecutive rounds.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, but I think that what the solution proposed in this and the other thread does is simply take the choices away entirely! I mean, what choices do you have here?

I see a premise of using meta abilities to construct powers and no I agree what we see is not a finished thing.

Sleep - Yeah, you just cannot do this at all with the existing two-page system. It lacks any option for progressive saving effects, helpless isn't there at all, and you cannot create a non-damaging attack power effect.

I kind of wondered about sleep as damage free unconsciousness anyhow --- consider this. A hero in 4e has absolute choice on killing or "knocking out" by making a sleep power that was mechanized by hit points and allowing "defeated" to be detailed in a power specific fashion I could create certain myth and legend effects. Like snow whites poison apple. Let the player decide eternal slumber with a defined condition for awakening -- in addition to a level 8 remove affliction ritual.
This could be a sandmans sleep power with a feedback effect on the caster too...

This could be stoning someone... with intermediate slowing effect which if killed by that power gives you a medusas statue.

Thus we see that any somewhat outlying power is simply lost, or else significant (and potentially complex and unbalancing) options need to be added to the system.

Generally yes we cannot lose the things which make for interesting powers

Last edited:

That was a decent pdf. I remember buying it back in the day.

You might like it.

The terrain would be the enemy army or giant monster. I had some great ideas for planet size monsters that PCs would have to face in multiple stages like Magnetic Field; Atmosphere; Surface; Underground; Core etc.

I always felt like Epic should have this kind of stuff in it. Paragon can do the "we're superpowerful badasses" stuff, and then Epic should go into the totally gonzo. 10 epic levels is already quite a lot IMHO.

In HoML (see my thread on Story Now 4e) I have reworked the tiers, there are 20 levels, the first chunk are heroic, then there's another equal chunk that are Legendary, and the last 3 levels are Mythic. So the basic theory is you'd do a bunch of adventuring ranging from 'home town hero' up to '(in)famous powerful guy in my land' and then into the Legendary "more powerful than anyone else, does a lot of fantastic stuff" range which would eventually blend at the top of the tier into a world-busting 'make a new myth' story arc which would top off with the characters completing their fate/apotheosis/debacle/whatever.

Its definitely more oriented around the idea that the PCs will run through the whole gamut of levels and create a complete story.

I'm certainly not going to start disputing your experience, but I found this to be quite true in practice!

I've probably forgotten most of any experience I had by this point amigo. :D

My point is that extensive experience tells that the ONLY way to do that is to make the set of combinations and their effects very limited in significance and to keep tactical considerations fairly secondary, such that there's not much of an advantage to being clever. You cannot 'not have loopholes', not unless your system is exceedingly simplistic, and even yours isn't THAT simple. [MENTION=12749]MwaO[/MENTION] has already pretty much broken it once. You can fix each thing he finds, but I guarantee you that by the time you fix all of them, you won't have any more options, maybe less, than an Essentials Slayer.

He's certainly raised some problems with TWO NEW MECHANICS I ADDED. But that doesn't invalidate the totality of the core system I have designed - only those two mechanics.

No, that's my point, it won't even be CLOSE to as much stuff. 4e powers can do a vast, and in fact pretty much open-ended list of possible things. Your system (and I'd look at Slayer as being an example of the same thing, Knight also) doesn't allow for anything like CaGI, or RoS, or RoB, not even to start on the paragon and epic level fighter powers. This is the example which is BEST in your favor, fighter. Every other class is hurting much more. You can't even come close to the flexibility of a 4e Wizard or Cleric. Not even Essentials' designers cracked THAT nut, though I think they may have considered it and tried!

I fail to see how my system (which allows full flexibility on the fly and adapt to any situation) is LESS flexible than a system that requires players to choose powers AHEAD of time.

Fair enough, that's probably not untrue. Still, some characters are going to be pushed into a secondary place in a range of encounters, and others will become primary. Now, this CAN happen in 4e already to some extent (clerics and undead clearly) but there are always options for other classes, because there is a wide range of items, powers, and feats to produce solutions with. The issue being, if you allow all that in your game, you're right back to square one!

I agree. But part of the problem with 4E sourcebooks is the one-upmanship that each next sourcebook tries to bring to tempt players into buying it. Additionally the more rules you have the greater potential for game breaking (or at least bending) loopholes to be found.

OK, I'm just going by what WAS there and what I know is possible in 4e from feats, etc. I think if we fed your 2 page wizard solution to charops they'd pretty much produce a specific optimum build in a week or two.

Except no optimum build would be optimum against all situations and all enemy types.

Defenders behind walls, units in phalanx formation and spread out archers would all have different optimum strategies to deal with.

I disagree. No doubt there ARE some powers like this, and the redundancy tended to grow somewhat with time as more powers were added, but there's a LOT of variety in there as well! I could start running through lists and show you how much your implementations are losing out on, but do I need to do that? I'm sure you know 4e pretty well, you can do it. I think you know what I mean.

I remember going through the lists at the time (I had at least 50% of the sourcebooks) and I think there was almost nothing that couldn't be accomplished by my Revision. I think I foot-noted a total of 2 things...one might have been Time related (IIRC).

So what? 15-20 pages of good stuff is fine with me!

I agree, but 15-20 pages of mainly repetitive powers that can be easily boiled down to 1-2 pages is a waste of space and counter-productive to accessibility.

I'm not sure I follow you... What is 'restrictive' about what I've done? Everything which exists in 4e in terms of being able to choose from a wide range of powers and the structure which leads to doing a wide variety of things each encounter is fully intact in HoML! I find it quite puzzling that you could call MY implementation 'restrictive', when your own removes all but a small fixed list of options from the game!

Well for starters you eliminated the epic tier - so you restricted that option. :)

I don't think it has to do with a number of sessions to get used to something. The degree of flexibility is just not there! You cannot create a wizard anything close to an actual 4e wizard by your 2 page system.

I think I already have. :p

Every spell you have is just some sort of fairly simple blast.

Which to a very large degree encompasses many 4E powers.

I mean, you can't get the effects of even some at wills, let alone the large array of things that encounter/daily powers can do.

If there was anything I hadn't already added to the current list (and I doubt there is much of note) its nothing that couldn't easily be added within an extra half a page or less; perhaps even as little as an extra line of text.

I understand and sympathize with what you want to do, and I think that in a game which has different objects than 4e this is a workable system. Its just that powers do a HUGE amount in 4e. They are the beating heart of the system, and FOR ME it wouldn't be 4e with just a small set of stock effects. In terms of exploring what makes 4e tick, and in presenting a different mix of game elements, I'm glad you've done this work. I know I sound critical, but I certainly don't want to sound like I'm putting it down. I just think that other aspects of the game have to be created or built up or redesigned to move the focus to something else, so that powers aren't doing so much work. Then this may be a more palatable option.

I think you are focusing on a List of Powers instead of focusing on the Freeform System I have created. Any and all powers in 4E can be added/absorbed by my system and it will only take 1 line to do so not 15-20 pages in a sourcebook.

Finally, I think that one way it might work best is in a game which is not really all that tactical. One where combat is more about the effects of your choices and less about how you implement your tactics. In other words something like a non-tactical Story Now kind of a game would probably be fine with simplified powers. Wizard would probably get their awesome magical effects in somewhere outside of combat, and fighters would probably merge with warlords or something and become all about being leaders, etc. It would, in short, be a different sort of game entirely!

As I see it, my Revised classes are the exact same system without rules bloat of 15-20 pages x 4+ sourcebooks per class.

I see a premise of using meta abilities to construct powers and no I agree what we see is not a finished thing.

I kind of wondered about sleepa damage free unconsciousness anyhow --- consider this. A hero in 4e has absolute choice on killing or "knocking out" by making a sleep power that was mechanized by hit points and allowing "defeated" to be detailed in a power specific fashion I could create certain myth and legend effects. Like snow whites poison apple. Let the player decide eternal slumber with a defined condition for awakening -- in addition to a level 8 remove affliction ritual.
This could be a sandmans sleep power with a feedback effect on the caster too...

This could be stoning someone... with intermediate slowing effect which if killed by that power gives you a medusas statue.

Generally yes we cannot lose the things which make for interesting powers

I think in one sense you have a point, why not just use color to bring things like Sleep into the realm of the standard "when its hit points are gone its defeated" paradigm. Sleep is a SOMEWHAT problematic power in that it was possible in the early pre-errata days to slot in enough save penalty mechanics on an orbizard to make it almost a sure thing, at which point it actually becomes close to the ultimate power (enough so that even Epic Orbizards built in that time period will usually retain this power as one of their daily choices, and even optimize around recovering it 2-3 times per day). Notably all options to recover daily powers were removed from the game by errata (there never were many) and all orbizard save penalty mechanics were reduced to being one-time penalties, or removed entirely.

I'm not sure this is the best course of action though. Yes, you could make sleep do a whole bunch of psychic damage and let the character's declare the enemy to be 'not dead' at 0 hit points. Its hard to give a power enough damage to make this work in a way that is similar to old school SOD effects. This was the point of the 'chain of saves' mechanic, was to allow for a few holdout outlier neo-SODs to exist. Its not a perfect solution, but I feel like too much consistency is not a great thing. I mean, I want to keep things a little simpler than in 4e where it can get kind of crazy with minor variations on a theme, but still have a few big outliers that are distinctive.

As I see it, my Revised classes are the exact same system without rules bloat of 15-20 pages x 4+ sourcebooks per class.

Yeah, we clearly have VERY different ideas about what powers are and do in 4e. That's cool. Suffice it to say that from my perspective powers have a much wider variation than you see, and I wouldn't know how to play 4e as it is with this narrow a range of effects.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think in one sense you have a point, why not just use color to bring things like Sleep into the realm of the standard "when its hit points are gone its defeated" paradigm. Sleep is a SOMEWHAT problematic power in that it was possible in the early pre-errata days to slot in enough save penalty mechanics on an orbizard to make it almost a sure thing, at which point it actually becomes close to the ultimate power (enough so that even Epic Orbizards built in that time period will usually retain this power as one of their daily choices, and even optimize around recovering it 2-3 times per day). Notably all options to recover daily powers were removed from the game by errata (there never were many) and all orbizard save penalty mechanics were reduced to being one-time penalties, or removed entirely.
i suspect a ton of them could be allowed without problem too...

I do think sleep being a left over in terms of save or dies and save or sucks are too easily warped into too powerful says something about that particular mechanic not necessarily the flexibility of repeating for me it says "Tradition" was allowed to harm the balance of the game.

If it had been computed as ongoing damage they might have noticed it was potentially too powerful...

The hit point damage of sleep doesn't have to be its only thing of course this is a controller power it could create sluggishness (losing ability to take opportunity actions ), dizziness (falling), slowing etc it can be interesting without legacy save or dies.

Also note how "Sleep of the White Queen" poison damage and sleep at zero hp or comatose and awaken with a kiss.... is very analogous to the "The wounds or PTSD" at zero hit points we have been discussing as a general mechanic.

If Defeated is allowed to be more interesting I think the game wins.

Remove ads