Blood Transcription clarification

Feeroper

Explorer
This is a pretty dumb question, but I wasnt sure, so I thought Id ask.

Here is the spell:

Blood Transcription
School divination [evil]; Level alchemist 2, magus 2, wizard 2, witch 2
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V
Range touch
Target one dead spellcaster
Duration 24 hours
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no
By consuming 1 pint of blood from a spellcaster killed within the last 24 hours, you can attempt to learn a spell that spellcaster knew. Select one spell available to the dead spellcaster (this must be a spell on your spell list); you gain the knowledge of this spell for 24 hours. During this time, you may write it down (or teach it to your familiar, if you are a witch) using the normal rules for copying a spell from another source. Once you have learned it, you may prepare the spell normally.

Okay, so the part I want to clarify is this "this must be a spell on your spell list" - what does this mean? I need to already know this spell in order to gain it from drinking blood? The rest of the description sounds like you can learn new spells using this one, so that wouldnt make sense that it must be on your spell list - unless they mean your classes spell list, then yes that would make sense. Since it doesnt specify I thought Id double check.

Also, Im considering taking this spell for my PFS Wizard - are there any restrictions due to it being considered Evil? and will using it shift my alignment towards evil? (currently CN).

Thanks for the help!

paradox42

First Post
It is indeed the class spell list that's meant- as you yourself pointed out, the other version doesn't make sense. :)

Since it is an Evil spell, casting it is considered an Evil act by the rules, so it will indeed cause you to drift towards Evil alignment. However, this does not mean you can't cast it- even a CN Cleric could cast it, since they're only prohibited against casting spells of opposed alignment (this would mean Lawful, for CN). Do enough good actions, or cast a spell of equal level which has the Good descriptor, and your alignment will stay right where it is (by the rules). Story-based events and GM judgment can, of course, alter this equation slightly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases