Gold Trading Higher Than Plantinum

Kaodi

Hero
I was just looking to see if there was anyone who had produced poker chips for D&D coloured with copper, silver, gold, and platinum paint when I decided to take a look at the actual prices of metals. Maybe it is a sign I have been D&D for too long and am out of touch with reality, but I was flabbergasted to find on the TSX that gold is trading for like $10 more than platinum? Like, what the frak, World? What the frak?!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's because of a combination of rampant speculation + gold being more useful as an industrial metal than platinum. Things are nuts right now as investors are trying to hedge against uncertainty and China and India are ramping up their tech sectors.

Fast Learner

First Post
Freakin' things being worth what people will pay and having no inherent value or comparative value. Makes commerce so complicated.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The dollar is being devalued at an alarming rate, so people are buying gold so as to not lose their wealth.

Part of it is that so many people are buying it (driving up the price), but part of it is that the dollar is just getting to be worth less and less, so it takes more dollars to buy the same amount of gold.

Same reason selling scrap metal is so lucrative right now...

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The dollaris not loosing that much value and I don't see how dollar values vs other currencys would affect a commodity traded in dolars.
However, gold is in the midst of a speculative bubble right now.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My company makes class rings, so we closely follow the gold prices. It fluctuates, and is usually below the platinum price. But today it happens to be above.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases