Six from Gate Pass - Chapter 4: The Mad King's Banquet (War of the Burning Sky)

Gregor

First Post
Chapter 4: The Mad King's Banquet

It has been over a week since you defeated Lee Sidoneth and his conjured hurricane. The city of Seaquen is devastated, but in this time of trial its people have unified to defend each other. They now know that Ragesia is still a threat, even though far away, and this motivates them to join the war effort. It will take a long time to rebuild the city but your actions in securing various magical items, such as the Decanter of Endless Water and the Lyre of Building have gone a long way in assisting with reconstruction and sanitation. The people look haggard, but a passion and spark burns within them now and refugees and common folk alike have banded together to help one another and put the city and the resistance back into fighting shape. In some strange way, Lee's storm accomplished the opposite of its intended goal: it has unified rather than shattered the city.

Thankfully the weather has been glorious. Though cool due to winter, the sun shines and barely a cloud floats by in the sky. Boats have returned to the sea to fish and hopefully even some trade will return now that the Elven fleet has limped away to lick its wounds.

You spend this week as you wish: studying in the library, training, crafting, performing, etc. Everywhere you go a citizen is slapping you on the back, asking to shake your hand or buying you drinks. The wealthiest patrons of the city have even pooled gold and given it to the Lyceum on your behalf in order to ensure that the leaders of the resistance can reward you properly. You are undeniably heroes and various names for your party begin to crop up: The Storm Lords, The Windswept Companions, The Knights of Seaquen.

Yet its not all good news. Word has come that the winter storms over south Ragesia have faded, clearing the way for the third Ragesian army to march into the Kingdom of Dassen. There is also news that their King has survived an assassination attempt.

However, for now your time is your own. You know you should enjoy it as a knock on your door from Simeon is likely just around the corner.

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio spends a good portion of the intervening week performing, finding his way to an inn every evening to ply his trade...

Looking back on the week he is pleased with the performances... and certainly the extra income is always welcomed.

OOC: I know there are simpler ways to do this, but honestly, I just LOVE seeing all those rolls...

Last edited:

fromage67

First Post
After a night of wild excess, Lars sleeps for 15 hours straight.

He then returns to see his tutor. Lars unashamedly milks his status as a hero to extract every last ounce of magical knowledge from the Lyceum that he can. He also makes sure his pet rat attends all the lectures and demonstrations.

Bannock

First Post
Bannock takes the death of a party mate hard, spends the week mostly drinking and enjoying the swelling ranks of women offering anything and everything for some coin. It's amazing how disaster and mayhem envigorates the world's oldest trade, and Bannock finds that a man with a bit of coin is well sought after.

He decides to abandon his work on the heavy repeating crossbow. He's in a bit of a cynical mood and thinks to himself that he wouldn't even know how to properly use one. He decides to hang onto the heavy crossbow he took from the Ragesian soldier, preferring the idea that his equipment be paid for in the blood of his enemies. His latest adventure makes him hate Ragesia all the more.

He applies the time and metalworking skills he would have spent working on his weapon to helping the survivors rebuild the city by making basic tools, repairing broken wagon wheels, and occasionally, aiding those who want to arm themselves by making a spade into a spear or converting a heavy mallet into a warhammer or mace. The smiles on the faces of those he helps serve to elevate his mood, and he never asks for any money.

He thinks often of his father, and wonders if he still lives.

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
One night, when gathered with his surviving friends in a battered inn and toasting Hrimr as Kirio plays a ballad, he draws out the living weapon formerly belonging to the dwarf. It is still in the shape of a warhammer. He looks at it quizzically.

"So, how was this s'posed to work?"

Gregor

First Post
[sblock="for Bannock"]Bannock, the weapon doesn't really seem to do anything when you wield it, nor does it mystically impart any information to you. Where once it looked like a a tree formed into a weapon: a firm piece of wood flourished with small leaves, clumps of bark and fresh shoots it lost much of its life after Hrimr's passing. The bark crumbled, the leaves fell and the shoots shriveled. However, after holding it in your possession for a full day, you found that your dreams were suddenly infiltrated one night. You found yourself back in Innenotdar forest, except as it probably once was long ago. The trees were lush, the grass green and the stream bubbling with fresh water. Birds sang and the petals of flowers and fallen leaves danced in the breeze. Sitting beneath a vast weeping willow was the dryad Timbre: the most delicate and beautiful fey creature your eyes had ever set upon. She stared into your eyes, smiling and gesturing to the woods around you as if hinting at something. Seated next to her, resplendent in etched armor was the Elven warrior Anyariel, the lover of Timbre. Beside her sat Hrimr, his hands filled with the fresh soil of a hole he was digging at his feet. You snapped awake in the morning, figuring that a vivid dream such as that was likely a result of an ale-filled evening. Yet when you got ready to head out for the day and you touched the living weapon, it sprang to life: leaves growing green and firm, the bark taught and strong and the fresh smell of a forest filling your nose. It bonded with you and suddenly grew and stretched magically to form itself into your chosen weapon. In your mind you understood everything about it and how the life of Innenotdar was now tied to your soul, much as it was to Hrimr before you and Anyariel before him.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Bannock

First Post
Two days later, Bannock can be seen going about his business using a new weapon as a walking staff. From a distance, it appears to be a normal glaive, but on closer inspection, one can see that from hilt to blade the entire weapon appears to be made of a single unbroken piece of glossy lacquered dark wood, inlayed with patters of deep green and gold so intricate that no mundane craftman could possibly have carved it. Bannock seems completely and naturally at ease with this new glaive, as if he was born with it. The blade is long and wide and flows out from the shaft in a smooth continuous curve, with a vicious barb on the reverse side. Although made entirely of wood, the bladed portion is much denser and heavier, giving the weapon striking power comparable to a metal-headed equivalent.

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio spends some of the intervening time shopping... About mid-week, after a particularly satisfying set he approaches the others with a large pitcher of ale "This round is on me... so I've been shopping a little, and it occurred to me that we have the means to... hire a little help, should we have need to travel fulfilling our commitments. I think we should acquire a wagon, some mules and a driver. I spoke to a merchant that could even outfit a wagon for us, build in some protection/cover in case of ambush. Even with modifications the whole thing should come in well under 200 gold pieces, split between us? Bedrolls, rations, tents... none of that need way us down. We could have bigger tents, nicer bedrolls. We could even task the driver with ensuring there are ample refreshments stored in the wagon, wine or ale for after a big fight? Cheese, bread. He could also be charged with setting up camp. We may need to travel in the service of the lyceum, but I see no need for us not to do this in style... no?"

He grins from ear to ear looking to the others for their reaction. "Should you be willing I am more than happy to make the arrangements and interview perspective drivers/lackeys".

fromage67

First Post
Lars, taking break from his studies, thumps his pitcher on the table. "Great idea! A beautiful wagon, with the arms of Gatepass! And 4 fast horses that we can ride. How about it? I will buy myself the nicest horse I can find."

Bannock

First Post
Some part of his experience with binding to the Living Blade relieves Bannock's mistrust of magical enhancement. After finding a buyer for his old magic glaive and selling it, he makes a number of trips to the Lyceum during the party's remaining days to commission some work from the academy's wizards.

Of Kirio's idea to obtain a cart and horses, Bannock approves enthusiastically.

"Sure would be nice not to hafta stomp around on foot everywhere in full plate! Err, I might not be able to pitch in so much as you all if it turns out to be on the rich side. I gave most of my coin to wizards and wimmin!"

OOC: Bannock sells his old glaive for 50% of its original purchase price, fetching 659 gp. With the 2500 in payment for their mission plus what he began with, he has somewhat more than 4000gp, which he takes to the Lyceum to commission a +1 magical enhancement bonus for his masterwork full plate armor, and he also requests the "light fortification" ability. In addition, Bannock purchases a +1 Ring of Protection if such is available. The total cost of all of these these should be 4000gp

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases