[LPF] Mopping Up

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Heinrich takes a moment to asses his inventory and realizes he is in need of travel supplies.

OOC: headed to the pearl.

some time later he returns.

OOC: game-time mechanic question here. I have some scrolls I wish to translate into his spell book before takeing off. how can this be handled?

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=Learning Spells]Learning by oneself: (LPF rules)
  • A scroll may be purchased at the Mystic Pearl. There is a 25% chance that the Mystic Peal does not have the scroll in stock on a particular day. A scroll may also come from being part of the earned treasure of an adventure. The spell is then learned by traditional methods with a spellcraft roll and added to a spell book.
  • Limit one spell per calendar, or real life, day. Time is expected to flow at 3 calendar days to one En day for commissioning crafted items, so 1 hour studying + the hour/level scribing time itself leads to a 1/3 En work day roughly.
Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook (PF rules)

A wizard can also add a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard's spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings). Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from his specialty school. If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into his spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

Once a wizard understands a new spell, he can record it into his spellbook.
Time: The process takes 1 hour per spell level. Cantrips (0 levels spells) take 30 minutes to record.
Space in the Spellbook: A spell takes up one page of the spellbook per spell level. Even a 0-level spell (cantrip) takes one page. A spellbook has 100 pages.
Materials and Costs: The cost for writing a new spell into a spellbook depends on the level of the spell, as noted on Table: Spell Level and Writing Costs. Note that a wizard does not have to pay these costs in time or gold for spells he gains for free at each new level. (1st level = 10 gp; 2nd level = 40 gp)

I'm not sure how stringently we are enforcing the cost for materials.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Arianna is ready.

Yes, we are trying to enforce the cost of writing materials too, but that part has been hard to chase down after the fact.

For an "in game" inscription, if the GM desires to set aside time and allow you to sit the hour studying + hour per spell level writing while the other characters are twiddling their thumbs waiting, that can be done too.

If you hare doing a "during rest, after travel and before bed", you can get one in per in game day.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]There would have been a couple of days from the initial interview to the time you left, so you could have gotten a couple of scrolls scribed into your book in the midst of your other preparations.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Herr Heinrich Schreibersen-Wizard 4

[sblock=ooc]There would have been a couple of days from the initial interview to the time you left, so you could have gotten a couple of scrolls scribed into your book in the midst of your other preparations.[/sblock]

OOC: there is the information i needed!

day 1
Heinrich tries to comprehend the poor penmanship of the purchased scroll (fox's cunning dc 17)

day 2
memorize fox's cunning, cast fox's cunning,
; spellcraft check flaming sphere dc 17

the next day he pulls out a second scroll and tries to comprehend the penned formula, but it escapes him for now.

OOC: forgot to add the other +2, but missed by 1 regardless.
****edit****
Please let me know when I can try another time.
David J of the USA

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
OOC: Sorry about the delay. Work decided to go crazy on me.

The first part of the journey is uneventful, with the weather cooperating thus far. You see signs of fresh repairs in all of the villages along the road as if it had been slumbering and just woken up to find the world had tried to move on without it. The cooking is good for trail food, though even Gendrew can only do so much while traveling. As you approach the edge of the estates on this side of the Feywood, the road starts to get wilder and signs of civilization farther apart, but aside from scaring off the wild animals, you still don't see much in the way of action. There are others traveling with you that seem to have been hired for the same purpose you are, though of different levels of skill, and it seems likely that when you get to your destination, you will be together with no one else.

OOC: You can rp a bit on the road, with each other or the NPCs, or I can keep moving. Once I have a consensus, I will move on.

Qik

First Post
Ni enjoys the sights of the trail immensely; portal to the other planes though it may be, his home island Illi Esse just doesn't have a lot of room to stretch one's legs, so the sheer experience of traveling for days on end in one direction is novel in and of itself. Lu also enjoys the trail, roaming as far as magical limitations will allow him to (so: not very far), catching what game he can for Grendew. Ni talks the master cook's ear off about his craft, being ignorant on the subject himself.

"So, do you have a specialty, Master Gendrew? A favorite seasoning? Ingredient? Temperature? Cuisine? It's all very interesting. I don't have much experience in cooking myself - Lu usually does the gathering when we're on the road and short on food."

[sblock=OOC]No worries, ss. I'm happy to move on, and just RP a bit along the way, but however the others want to handle it is fine.

Will roll a survival check for Lu's gathering of ingredients for Gendrew.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna walks along mostly quiet, as Ni can talk enough for three. Every couple of hours, she stops an summons up a personal rain shower for few seconds, to keep her cloak and skin damp. This is the furthest she has been from shore, but she tries to not show her apprehension.[sblock=ooc]Fine to move on[/sblock]

Qik

First Post
Noticing her distress, Ni tries to animate water droplets into minuscule elementals for Arianna as often as he can.

nimientioquijuil-smaller-e1336011034261.png
lumoies-e1336011022912.png
[sblock=Stats]Nimientioquijuil
HP: 23/23
AC: 17 (Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15)
CMB: 0 CMD: 12 Fort: +3, Ref: +3, Will: +4 (+6 vs Illusions)
Perception: +2
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Summon Monster I: 9/9
Spells:
- 0: Infinite
- 1: 4/4

Eidolon: Summoned
HP: 10/10
Eidolon AC: 18 (Touch: 14; FF: 15)
CMB: 0 CMD: 13 Fort: +3 Ref: +5 Will: +0
Perception: +17