Elephant in the room: rogue and fighter dailies.

What, the Fighter's Surge and Knack abilities? What's so bad about them?

I mean, Knack is about a spurt of good luck, which won't even necessarily succeed. It's so intangible, it's hard to get worked up about it.

As for the Fighter's Surge... I'm used to Surge mechanics from Mutants & Masterminds, they don't break anything or cause problems as long they're somewhat limited. (In M&M, by your stock of Hero Points, and the fact that you can spend Hero Points on so many other tempting things.) Twice a day is just not that big a deal.

I mean, yes, I can see people getting a bit worked up about the concept of certain kinds of mundane dailies, but these are more... dramatic? than mundane. They're more like a player resource than a character resource, if that makes any sense.

EDIT: IOW, it's not like the fighter 'knows' that he can Surge twice a day in the same sense that the wizard knows he can cast Sleep X times a day. It's that every so often he beats the odds and becomes awesome; the player knows how often it can be done, but in the fiction the fighter just gets desperate and does his thing, really well.

nnms

First Post
I'm not sure what I think about them.

I keep using "what does it look like in the fiction?" as a litmus test. So why is it that a fighter can get an extra attack every now and again, but if he does it twice in a day, the situation that allowed him to do so is pre-written to not occur again until the sun rises again? Or he sleeps?

I'm sure pages and pages about Encounter & Daily powers have been written back in 2008 that would probably express it better than I though.

I don't find these as overt as 4E encounters and dailies, but I'd rather an extra action or an advantage on a skill roll be a result of the situation rather than a spotlight mechanic.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
It doesn't bother me any more than the Barbarian's x/day in 3e. Which is to say it's not my favorite mechanic, but not horrible, either.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Well, the Lucky, is a Lightfoot racial bonus, not a rogue one, while the Fighter's surge grants a twice a day surge to perform two actions.
I'm okay with both, I'd characterise these as race/class abilities, and not directly a comparison to 4th ed Powers, per se.

But that's just me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases