Homebrew Adventure Using Masterplan

This is the first arc of a 20 level campaign I plan on running with my regular group someday. I'd like suggests and comments please. Thanks,

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
This is the first arc of a 20 level campaign I plan on running with my regular group someday. I'd like suggests and comments please. Thanks,

Just gave it a skim read, and I really like the feel you're going for as well as your use of hazards, puzzles, and skill challenges! Here are a couple things that stood out:

Brygs (sp?), the guy who is imprisoned. You have him as the "only source of information about X." That's never a good idea. Much better is to follow the 3 clue rule and provide three different ways the PCs might get what they need. So Brygs is just 1, what might 2 others be?

Your skill challenge shorthand is textbook, and while that might be all you need to run a good encounter, my gut reaction is: Why on earth are you writing lists of what the PCs can do? That should be up to the players and the spirit of the moment. Instead I recommend devoting your skill challenge design to meaningful failures that don't end the game, interesting developments, and cool mini-games. Better payoff in game.

About a specific skill challenge: negotiating with the mountain guide. If you have a ranger in the party they're going to be "Screw this, I can guide us!" Also the failure condition of the mountain guide attacking the party is ridiculous; instead he might give them a bum lead to a dangerous monster lair. Much more in character for the NPC I think.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I knew it was a bit railroad-ish to make the characters want to free the woodsman, but they have no other reason to want to go the the prison. I'll think about this as I work on the second arc.

Running skill challenges never goes to script. I always let players run with their own ideas rather than sticking to the text. The notes are almost for my benefit rather than theirs. Good point though, I'll never think of EVERY way that a PC can beat a challenge. I will take a look at the failures and maybe add some triggered developments.

The mountain man attacks the party only if they try to cheat him at cards and get caught. That wasn't very clear in the text. And sure, the PCs can do it without him, but having the guide along gives a +2 bonus to all skill checks as he is familiar with the terrain.

Thanks again for the feedback, should help make the adventure come out better.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6668615]Chaos Trip Studios[/MENTION]
You're welcome. I'm wondering how the Masterplan software comes into play? From the PDF it looks like a straight DOC to PDF conversion...

Masterplan is an amazing set of campaign organizing tools for 4E. Easy and fun. The software exports everything as a .htm, so I had to convert it to a PDF.

Masterplan

You have to hunt around a bit for the libraries though. Making custom monsters and traps, skill challenges, et cetera could not be more simple.

Remove ads