Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

LostSoul

Adventurer
The couple I play with wanted me to run this and I agreed. Here is a log of the game.

1. Wherein I do a lot of work

I didn't really like the computer-game aspect of the module - where going to a certain location would trigger another "act". This seemed to cut out a lot of opportunity for the players to make meaningful decisions. I wanted to put that back in.

I started by asking myself questions. What were the goals of the NPCs? Given their resources, how could they achieve them?

[sblock=One Question]
Goal #1 : Find the Champion of Elemental Evil.
Goal #2 : Release Tharizdun from his prison.

Goal #1 . How would they do this?
Commune. They would cast Commune until they were able to narrow down who the Champion is (or is to be). They have not yet discovered who the Champion is, so the answer they are getting must be "Unclear".

Why "Unclear"? That would make sense if the Champion (Lareth) were dead, but he was Raised. And if all they needed to do was Raise him, it'd be easy for them to figure it out via Commune or Divination.​

That wasn't getting me anywhere. I decided to focus on why Lareth was the Champion. That, too, proved fruitless.

My questions unanswered, I turned to Greyhawk lore, especially Maldin's Greyhawk.[/sblock]

This led me 1000 years into the past...

[sblock=My Revised Greyhawk History]The Suel arch-mage Xodast the Doom-Bringer came to possess The Codex after discovering it on the Rock of Bral. Through it he created the Bringer of Doom. Xodast realized the power of his creation and kept it safely hidden. Destroyed by summoned fiends, the Codex was left hidden within his castle.

The Codex of Infinite Planes: The Codex holds "the keys to instant physical transference to any one of the other planes and alternates of any world or universe." It is the Way and the Key. "...and the two strong slaves lifted it [the Codex] from the back of the Beast. Thereupon I commanded the Brazen Portals to be brought low and they were wrenched from their hinges and rang upon the stone. The Efreet howled in fear and fled when I caused the page to be read, and the Beast passed into the City of Brass. Now was I, Tzunk, Master of the Plane of Molten Skies. With sure hand I closed Yagrax's Tome [the Codex], dreading to -"

The Bringer of Doom: A manifestation of Tharizdun's prison.​

In 5031 [-484 CY], a series of border skirmishes led to war between the Empires of the Bakluni and Suel.

In 5058 [-457 CY], the soothsayers and augurs of the Oeridians prophesied that a great curse was soon to befall the both Empires. Their peoples began to move east past into the Flaness.

In 5069 SD [-446 CY] the divinations of the Mages of Power of the Suel Imperium warned them of the Rain of Colourless Fire. The Mages sought The Bringer of Doom to destroy the Baklunish Empire in an Invoked Devastation before this could happen.

The Invoked Devastation: The manifestation of Tharizdun escaping his prison. Entropy on a vast scale, a black wind howling across the land causing everything to break down and die. "For He escaped his Prison for the shortest of instants, and wrought death on a world."​

The Mages alerted their Emperor Zod Ad-Zol. He wished above all else for the safety of his son Zellif, and commanded that he lead his people in exodus while Zellifar Ad-Zol remained to continue the war. He did not explain his reasons.

Zellif was seen to be fleeing the war. Zod Ad-Zol's honour was impunged and internal strife wracked the Imperium.

In 5087 [-428 CY] the auguries of the Bakluni Padishah Ramif foretold a great doom brought against his people by the Suel: the Invoked Devastation. He focused all his research on stopping the cataclysm. This led to his discovery of the Codex in the ruined Tower of the Brooding Mage - Xodast's ancient seclusium.

Padishah Ramif asked his god Dorgha Torgu, now known as the Outcast of the Gods, how he could use the Codex. Dorgha Torgu was "[swayed] by the evil counsel of ... that alien thing called an Elder Elemental God". Dorgha Torgu told Ramif to take the Codex to the one place where it would be safe - Tovag Baragu, that which is and is not - and upon its pages was the key to defeating the Suel.

Tovag Baragu: [Carcosa.] The centre-point at which all things meet. [The Plateau of Leng.] It is not so much a place as an idea, a frame of mind. "Far away, in the lands still barren from the Invoked Devastation, alone on a great plain, the ancient stone circle of Tovag Baragu, the Navel of the Oerth, stands in the shadows of the Sulhaut Mountains. Through its mighty arches are gateways to other places, other worlds, other times... "​

The Padishah Ramif knew that "any person reading its 99 damned pages [was] 99% certain to meet a terrible fate" and he weighed this cost with the doom of his people. Within he discovered the Rain of Colourless Fire and vowed to use it if the Invoked Devastation ever came to pass.

Rain of Colourless Fire: Nuclear destruction on a massive scale. "A nearly invisible firey rain which killed all creatures it struck, burned all living things, ignited the landscape with colorless flame, and burned the very hills themselves into ash."​

In 5094 [-422 CY] the Mages of Power found The Bringer of Doom. They determined to call the Invoked Devastation by opening Bringer of Doom. This, they hoped, would end both the war and stop the Rain of Colourless Fire.

They opened it and waited.

Padishah Ramif was safe within Tovag Baragu - a place between time and space, both there and not-there - with the Codex. When his spies and spells told him that the Invoked Devastation was to come and could not be stopped, he cursed the Suel and called down the Rain of Colourless Fire.

When the Padishah Ramif invoked the spell - with the aid of his god Dorgha Torgu, who "bent dimensions and loosed unnatural elements" - the Door and the Gate to time and space were opened, and Tharizdun escaped his prison: the Invoked Devasation howled across the land.

Ramif knew the terrible fate the Codex bestowed upon him and shut its damned pages. The Door and the Gate were closed and the Way blocked. The Invoked Devastation ended and Tharizdun returned to his prison.[/sblock]

This allowed me to give the NPCs a goal and a plan.

[sblock=Their Goal & Plan]The Orb of Oblivion is the Bringer of Doom. When opened, it releases Tharizdun from his prison for a moment, centred where the Orb lies at the moment.

This also allows the NPCs to have "power" as a motivation - they can use the Orb to create an Invoked Devastation and take over the world. The more insane still want to destroy the world, but others just crave power.​

The Orb of Silvery Death allows the Champion of Elemental Evil access to Tovag Baragu. Once there, he can read from the Codex - the Way and the Key - and create the connection between the Orb and Tharizdun's prison.

Lareth is simply the destined champion.

Knowing what their goal is, I can easily say that their goals have not yet been met - they don't have either Orb. It will take time to create the Orb of Silvery Death, and time to find the Bringer of Doom (buried within the Dry Steppes).[/sblock]

A little history on one of the more important NPCs:

[sblock=The History of Lareth the Beautiful]Lareth was born some 40 years ago, a child of an incestuous ritual designed to bring about the Chosen One, the Opener of the Way, the Key and the Gate, Umr at'Tawil. He was a perfect specimen of humanity - strong, tough, beautiful, and possessed of an indomitable will. He was raised by a small group of cultists on the Wild Coast who taught him how to channel these abilities and to cast aside all weakness.

From "Dissertation on Sepulchral Twilight: A Monograph on Astrological Mysteries", by Voivod Joanna, CY 550: "When the world cowered under the great eclipse of 543, I turned my astrolabe towards the skies and the stars. What did I see but something that has never before been recorded - an event that may not have taken place since the Invoked Devastation: the conjunction of the constellations of Life, Death, and Time. I fear that these signs mark an event that will change the very world in which we live - and not for the better..."

The cultists lost their hold on Lareth when they were assaulted by a group of bandits. They were slain to a man, but Lareth, still a child, was spared. Even then he exercised control over men's emotions. The bandits were hard men, but Lareth was harder, and he thrived in the unforgiving environment they had given him.

From the diary of Rube, bandit leader: "Today we found a small monastary filled with crazed men and women. They seemed to be focused on raising a child. We slew the men - and the women, too, sadly, for they were driven mad by their unholy worship and not fit for labour in the field or the harem. I was going to kill the child but stayed my hand. If these maniacs were so interested in him, he might prove to be valuable in some way. Time will tell."

Lareth began to believe that his powers came from within himself, not from any outside power. He worshipped himself as a fallen god. He began to convince the weak-willed bandits that he was a messiah, that he would lead them to glory and salvation.

At the tender age of 15, Lareth slew the bandit leader and took control of the group for himself. No one challenged him.

Lon Droga, Spymaster of Fax, in a report to the Council of Fax, 558 CY: "And in other matters, it seems that some of the highwaymen who have been so cunning of late have taken up some new kind of worship. They venerate a man - or a boy - called 'Lareth the Beautiful'. He has their complete loyalty. Bribes fail to move his men, force does not scare them, and even in death they do not betray him."

In the following years, Lareth's infamy grew. He was feared by all civilized men and those outside the law. Men and worse flocked to him, honouring him, worshipping him. He was a legend of pain and death and cruelty along the Wild Coast and the Pomarj.

Scrawlings found on a cave wall in the Pomarj, written in orcish: "Lareth is the doom-bringer, the maker of pain, the way and the key. He will make our enemies pay in pain and blood. Their children's children will cry the lament of Lareth the Beautiful."

It did not take long for his reputation to reach the ears of Hedrack, at that time the High Priest of the rebuilding Temple. Hedrack met the young warlord and offered him a place of prestige in the Temple's organization. Lareth accepted and became the New Master of the Moathouse near Hommlet. Lareth ruled with an iron fist, terrorizing the people of Hommlet and the Kron Hills. He had developed his own cult of worshippers, a flock of fanatics who were willing to do his every whim - to kill and die for him.

Excerpt from the Journal of Hedrack, High Priest of the Temple of All Consumption: "In my time as supreme commander of the Temple, I saw no greater servant of evil than the one called Lareth the Beautiful."

It was during this time that Lareth investigated the legends about him. He discovered his heritage, and the prophecy that he was destined to fulfill. From the moathouse he spoke: "I am and will be the Chosen one. I am the Way and the Key, the Opener of the Gate. I was born when the stars were right, and I will be there when they are right once more. When that glorious day comes, I will be exalted above all man and beast, a god on Oerth. I have seen it."

In a daring strike, Canoness Y'Dey struck down Lareth, crushing his skull in. Lareth lay dead and the legends about him dissolved. His growing cult of followers disbanded and disappeared into the hills of the Pomarj.

From the diary of Y'Dey, humble servant of St. Cuthbert and Canoness of Hommlet: "Lareth is finally dead. I dealt the final blow myself. Even I was surprised to find that he was mortal. His reign of terror is ended."

After the second fall of the Temple, Hedrack discovered Lareth's corpse, and, thinking that Lareth might yet have a part to play, Raised him from the dead and left him in the ghost town of Nulb. Horribly disfigured, Lareth went insane with anger and resentment.

Writings in the journal of Nietheri Proscuran: "I believe Lareth the Beautiful still lives. After much searching, consulting with sages and seers, prophets of all kinds, and spending too much god-damned gold, I discovered his tomb. The blasted skeleton is fully intact! It can't be his, if Y'Dey's story is true. And that bitch is as likely to lie as Iuz is to let a virgin she-elf leave his bedchamber with her maidenhood intact. The secret of his power has not died with him."[/sblock]

One question answered, two remain. Lots of work left.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Still working

The second question I had was a pretty basic one.

[sblock=Question Two]
What is the point of the Crater Ridge Mines?​

At first my idea was that they still had to find the Elemental Gems. That would require a mining operation, however, and didn't really fit with the feel of the CRM in the module.

I decided to leave this for a bit and focus on another question.

How could the Triad create the Orb of Silvery Death?​

I decided to break down its cost using the standard magic item creation rules. What I ended up with was something costing 476000 GP. Obviously that result is just a wild guess, but I didn't have a problem with it.

That much GP and XP created a problem in itself. Even three beings of great power wouldn't have the XP required - unless they got in a lot of dangerous fights. That triggered an idea...

I turned to the Book of Vile Darkness. The Sacrifice rules. A sacrifice can grant "Dark" GP or XP used to create magic items.

Well then. I just found a reason for the CRM to exist.

I added up the modifiers to Knowledge: Religion checks for the various temples and figured out how many sacrifices it would take to gather enough "Dark" GP and XP.

The result: 3797.

I decided to say that, in order to create the Orb - an artifact - they needed the "Dark" GP and XP. Normal components and XP would not do. The various Temples in the CRM would then turn the sacrifice into Incense of Dreaming and send it to the Triad for consumption.[/sblock]

Now, with the first two questions answered, the third - and most important - loomed: how can I give the players meaningful decisions to make?

[sblock=Question Three]Since the Triad, creating the Orb, were restricted to Dark GP and XP, they needed a steady flow of sacrifices.

Obviously, then: The Triad will complete the Orb unless the PCs take action to stop the steady flow of sacrifices from the Temples.

But how long had they been doing this? How many sacrifices could the Temples make per day/week? How much time should I give the PCs to stop the Triad?

I went through the module and added up each encounter presented. I assumed that 4 encounters with an encounter level (EL) equal to average party level (APL) were equal to one Adventuring Day (AD). Applying some modifiers to ELs higher or lower than expected APL, I came up with the following:

94 days until completion.

I decided to alter the timeline to set the campaign within the Greyhawk Wars. The conflict and refugees fleeing from the Shieldlands would provide cover to the activities of the Temple.

And, perhaps, instigated by the Temple? The Elder Elemental God has been known to play dirty tricks - perhaps it was he who convinced Iuz to being the Wars.​

Here was the timeline, then:

579 CY: Lareth is killed by Y'Dey.
579 CY: The Temple falls. Zuggtmoy is banished to the Abyss. The Orb of Golden Death is destroyed.
579 CY: Hedrack flees, hunted. He is saved by the Triad. They tell him the truth. He serves them.
580 CY: Playing a hunch, Hedrack raises Lareth from the dead. He casts Commune and learns that Lareth is the Champion who can reach Tovag Baragu. Hedrack hides this fact from the rest, believing that there's a way he can become the Champion.
580 CY: Commune is cast multiple times to discover the location of the Elemental Gems. They lie within the CRM.
May 6 580 CY: They set up in the CRM and begin excavations for the Elemental Gems. To avoid unwanted attention until their defenses are strong. Slaves are brought in by the dozen.
Jun 7 580 CY: The Triad dream about the Orb of Silvery Death. The Doomdreamers search for The Bringer of Doom. Hedrack runs the CRM and the Fanes.
Aug 3 582 CY: The Triad discover the ritual to construct the Orb of Silvery Death.
Aug 5 582 CY: The Triad begin work on the Orb of Silvery Death. Thousands of sacrifices are required.
Aug 8 583 CY: The Elemental Gems are found.
Sep 1 583 CY: Based on a Commune cast by Hedrack, he determines that there is Incense of Dreaming in the Moathouse. An expedition is sent. To avoid suspicion it is kept small.
Sep 27 583 CY: The expedition finds the relics, but Festrath goes insane. Before the others can take them, Utreshimon arrives at the Moathouse and keeps them pinned down.
Dec 3 583 CY: The drow envoy arrives in the Fane.
Dec 15 583 CY: The Doomdreamers discover the Orb of Oblivion and return to the Fane.
Dec 24 583 CY: The Orb of Silvery Death is completed.
+1 week (Dec 31 584): Allies for the excavation of the temple arrive at the CRM.
+1 day (Jan 1 584): Excavation of the Temple begins.
+2 days (Jan 3 584): The Temple is excavated. Lareth is brought there.
+2 days (Jan 5 584): The Bringer of Doom is brought somewhere, where they want the Invoked Devastation to be brought forth.​

Now I decided to figure out how many agents - slavers - the Temple had looking for sacrificial victims. I decided to go with 60-100% of the total number of guards within each CRM complex, based on the fact that the module had reinforcements arrive each week for a few weeks. These reinforcements, then, were agents scouring the lands looking for sacrificial victims.

It helps that Greyhawk is a post-apocalyptic world.​

I came up with a figure of 152 total agents.

How long would it take to gather a single slave? I decided that Profession: Slaver was the best way to abstract it. I looked on-line for a value for a slave and found one that said 61 GP. Statting up the slavers to focus on Profession: Slaver, I came to this figure: 7 slavers could gather 1 slave per week.

In addition to this, I decided to tie the Slavers of Suderham (from A1-4) into the campaign: every six weeks, they'd bring 45 slaves to Rastor for sale to the Temple.

The Temple would need some way to pay for all of this - and finance all the guards, and supplies their endeavour would require. They'd go through Rastor, using Tal Chammish, and Hedrack would use Planar Binding to summon a demon named Glabrezu to Wish for 25000 GP each month. That would give them just enough to supply the entire organization.

This left me with multiple ways for the PCs to disrupt the Triad's timeline:
  • Kill slavers
  • Destroy the caravan
  • Destroy Temples within the CRM
  • Free sacrificial victims
  • Stop the supply line in Rastor
  • Kill the Glabrezu providing the cash
  • and many others...
[/sblock]

The XP system, however, provides a problem. If the players are making smart decisions, they are going to be avoiding many pointless fights in order to hit the bad guys where it hurts. In order to make not fighting your way through their entire organization a valid choice, I had to provide bonus XP values.

[sblock]Based on the Adventuring Day/EL calculations, when the Triad would start noticing the PCs taking action, and what level the module expects you to be at that point, I came up with the following:

• EACH wave of slavers defeated is worth 325 bonus XP to EACH PC.
  • The Slave Lord caravan, if defeated, is worth 4000 bonus XP to EACH PC.
  • 2450 bonus XP to EACH PC per destroyed temple
[/sblock]

...And then I was done. I had a few more details to work out - how much information the PCs needed in order to make meaningful decisions, how many guards the NPCs had along their supply line drop, etc., but we were ready to play.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here is the simple log from last night's game:

Patchwall 2nd
PCs arrive in Hommlet
Xaod hits on Maridosen
Cat lady and goblin try to steal from Rufus, fail
Shaman meditates in grove
PCs gather information about the moathouse, don't learn much
Brenner hangs out in Temple to Ehlonna
Cat lady sleeps with Chat while they try and fail to rob him
Xaod sleeps with Maridosen

Patchwall 3rd
Chat announces he is going with the PCs
Shaman visits grove
Yundi mentions that something's up with Jaroo
Yundi leads Jaroo into the woods as a distraction
Brenner talks to Tanak
They find Jaroo's corpse
They follow "Jaroo"'s trail and it leads to a dead Yundi
They follow the doppleganger's trail and it leads to the mill
Brenner heads in as a naked human
Vacra takes him to the cellar to warm him up
Other PCs spot a mechanical bird, imagine it's a watcheye, run to mill
Dunrat casts Charm Person on Brenner, fails
Brenner is attacked
Xaod breaks the waterwheel, the millstone crashes into the cellar killing most
Dunrat is kept alive
Burne casts Dominate Person on Dunrat
PCs learn about Chat, Maridosen, Moathouse expedition, Lareth, CRM, slaves, etc.
PCs head to Moathouse; Chat has 1hr head-start
PCs see Chat, fight him
Glitterdust cancels obscuring mist + invisibility; he surrenders

LostSoul

Adventurer
I should note that the guy who played Xaod wasn't scheduled to be a part of the game. He was a neighbour who wanted to watch and we forced him to play; he chose Xaod the Slayer after hearing his name (and his drinking problem).

It was his first time playing D&D.

I found his interaction with the game very interesting. Freed from game-logic he approached the world as a living construct. I think that's why he had the idea to break the waterwheel - which he rolled a natural 20 on (I set the DC at 18, as hard as breaking a strong door).

I wonder if that will change - if he keeps playing. He seemed into the idea, but springing a new hobby on a guy in his late 30's doesn't always take.

Oh yeah, we also had a lot of problems making the PCs. The players wanted to make lycanthropes, but didn't add the racial hit dice and there was a lot of grief in fixing their PCs. We wrote up a 6-level class for Brenner (a werebear) and the werewolf has, basically, an at-will polymorph to wolf.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I really love the work you did to provide a logical framework for the story. I'm glad I am not the only OCD DM around here.... :)

More seriously, with all of that background information you really have so much material to work with should the PCs decide to do their own thing but still run with the plot. It makes me want to run Greyhawk, RttToEE and 3.5E all over again. :)

LostSoul

Adventurer
I really love the work you did to provide a logical framework for the story. I'm glad I am not the only OCD DM around here.... :)

Honestly, it was fun. I don't know much about Greyhawk, but I got to read up on a lot of its lore. Fitting that in to what I wanted was an interesting challenge. I think the big thing was focusing on how the players could influence what happened in the campaign. That was my guiding light, and it helped me make choices along the way.

The interesting thing now, based on what happened in the first game, is what Burne & Rufus are going to do. I've asked the players and they don't want those NPCs to steal the spotlight. I think they are going to try to gain allies among the Verbobonc nobles, but that may be difficult in the wake of the wars. (Which is why I set the campaign during the wars in the first place!)

Y'Dey is going to Commune and Divination for them, and Raise Dead when it's called for. I figure that she's "too old for this ----" and she doesn't really want to get personally involved.

The other big problem that Burne, Rufus, and Y'Dey have is that most NPCs will recognize them. If Hedrack knows that any one of them is acting against him, I think he'd take action. If the PCs - lower level nobodies - are causing trouble, it's not such a big worry.

I don't want them to take over prominence in the campaign. I offered the players the choice to play those NPCs as PCs, but they rejected it.

Dozen

First Post
I found his interaction with the game very interesting. Freed from game-logic he approached the world as a living construct. I think that's why he had the idea to break the waterwheel - which he rolled a natural 20 on (I set the DC at 18, as hard as breaking a strong door).

I'd love to hear more on the context of this!:D Why was breaking the wheel a good move?

LostSoul

Adventurer
I'd love to hear more on the context of this!:D Why was breaking the wheel a good move?

One of the PCs went into the Mill where the cult was hiding out - and he did it naked without any backup. True, he's a werebear, but he can't grow claws or teeth yet. The NPC on watch duty - Vacra - took him in, gave him a blanket to warm him, and ushered him into the cellar where he could sit by the stove.

When he entered the cellar, the rest of the cult was there, and they initiated aggression (after he made his save against Charm Person in the surprise round).

The millstone is in the level above the cellar (I don't know why); when Xaod smashed it I said that it tumbled through the floor into the cellar, crushing and pinning most of the NPCs. (The only rules I know for having a building collapsing on you are found in the Earthquake spell, so I used that.) The PC moved just out of the cellar on his turn, so he wasn't there and didn't get crushed.

I'm not sure that's what would have happened. I didn't want to take 15 minutes to google waterwheels and millstones, and I figured at the time it was better to err on the side of massive destruction. ;)

Dozen

First Post
The millstone is in the level above the cellar (I don't know why); when Xaod smashed it I said that it tumbled through the floor into the cellar, crushing and pinning most of the NPCs. (The only rules I know for having a building collapsing on you are found in the Earthquake spell, so I used that.) The PC moved just out of the cellar on his turn, so he wasn't there and didn't get crushed.
;)
Awesome.

I'm not sure that's what would have happened. I didn't want to take 15 minutes to google waterwheels and millstones, and I figured at the time it was better to err on the side of massive destruction. ;)
You did it mostly right. Millstones cause injuries or death once in a while. The damage is a bit extensive though. A mere building collapse deals 1d8 damage per floors collapsing on you, as per Cityscape. If I understand right, that should have been 3-4d8 damage, plus the 1d6 damage after every turn spent under the rubble.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases