Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

VanceMadrox

First Post
No rush needed at all, I'm greatful you're willing to look it over at all, it's not often you can get feedback directly from a game's creator.

Honestly if it wasn't for your stellar feedback I probably wouldn't have looked at Radiance nearly this closely.

I have noticed a few things already.

The level up difference are a LOT flatter. The numbers don't scale nearly as much as in 3.5/Pathfinder

It still feels wrong to not be able to pick skills each level. The overall bonuses are fine but I haven't felt like I'm truly choosing my skills.

The Fighter feels very shoe horned into 1 or 2 fighting styles. Two Handed and Sword and Board work fine but there's no way to do a pure Two Weapon Fighter or even a pure Archer. I know this can be done via themes and mutliclassing but it feels like some basic choices are missing and I don't think I like that.

Robyo

Explorer
I had a question concerning electrotech...
Can a PC use a zap gun even if he doesn't have the Technics skill? In my campaign, there's a gunslinger PC who took one from an unconscious illithrix. Since it's a gun, would he already be proficient? I was thinking of -5 penalty, at least until he gets the Technics skill. The rules seem to imply that he can't use it all.

AncientSpirits

First Post
I had a question concerning electrotech...
Can a PC use a zap gun even if he doesn't have the Technics skill? In my campaign, there's a gunslinger PC who took one from an unconscious illithrix. Since it's a gun, would he already be proficient? I was thinking of -5 penalty, at least until he gets the Technics skill. The rules seem to imply that he can't use it all.

A gunslinger is proficient with all firearms and the zap gun is a firearm, so in the most basic ways (aim, fire, etc), he is proficient with it. That said, electrotech requires Electrotech ability and access to the Technics skill "to use properly" (paragraph 1 of page 176). There's always improper use!

There are no rules for improper use. However, we can work off of the "Operate Tech" option under the Technics skill (page 177). Use the Technics skill rules here but apply a -10 or -2 penalty with the understanding that results at or below a "1" indicate a malfunction. Maybe apply a -10 the first use and -2 whenever he he uses the zap gun thereafter.

(BTW: Being trained in the skill negates the need for additional rolls after the first use, but since he's not trained, he has to roll each time).

I suspect the player will wish to get his PC trained in Electrotech at some point but may remain fairly satisfied for the time being.

This does not allow the PC to use any of the other Technics options such as Craft Tech or Tech Repair.

------------

If you want, this all boils down to a single rule: For folks untrained in electrotech, apply a 50% chance of failure to use the item until the PC gets it to work, then apply a 1 in 6 chance of failure thereafter.

------------

AncientSpirits

First Post
The Fighter feels very shoe horned into 1 or 2 fighting styles. Two Handed and Sword and Board work fine but there's no way to do a pure Two Weapon Fighter or even a pure Archer. I know this can be done via themes and mutliclassing but it feels like some basic choices are missing and I don't think I like that.

All classes are more specialized. For example, cleric, druid, and wizard have turned into a host of classes: cleric, druid elementalist, invoker, necromancer, sage, shaman, warlock, witch, wizard, and more.

The fighter is now an infantryman with 2 options (as you notice) while the ranger has two options (archer and two-weapon master). That said, the ranger has a lot of nature baggage that might not be what someone has in mind.

There is a good argument to offer a scout class that replaces the ranger's nature-oriented abilities with fighter abilities for a pure archer/two-weapon master.

VanceMadrox

First Post
All classes are more specialized. For example, cleric, druid, and wizard have turned into a host of classes: cleric, druid elementalist, invoker, necromancer, sage, shaman, warlock, witch, wizard, and more.

The fighter is now an infantryman with 2 options (as you notice) while the ranger has two options (archer and two-weapon master). That said, the ranger has a lot of nature baggage that might not be what someone has in mind.

This may be true for some other classes but for the Fighter it's become more specialized without being split out into other classes. You still can't build Fighters using 2 of the most basic combat styles without dipping into another class or using Theme. You even give Fighters all weapon groups but do not let them do much to improve ranged fighting. Weapon Focus can't even be used on ranged weapons.

There is a good argument to offer a scout class that replaces the ranger's nature-oriented abilities with fighter abilities for a pure archer/two-weapon master.

Actually I think it's a good argument to create a Weapon Master class. The Fighter in radiance really feels more like the 3.5 Marshal, a front line fighter who can lead men too. I think there's room to create a new base class that's even more combat/weapon focused. I'd love to see a class that is not shoe horned into 1 or 2 combat styles but rather can use any of them.

On another note I'm also curious as to why you've set the limits on # of attacks that you have.

Consider the following Combat Styles:

Sword & Board or Two Handed Weapon.

The Rapid Attack ability gets you two attacks and Many Strike gets you a 3rd.

So a Starting Fighter in Radiance gets 2 attacks per round and the most advanced fighter gets 3.

In Pathfinder by Comparison the Same Fighter gets one to start, a 2nd at 6th level, and a 3rd at 11th.

So in Radiance RPG a 20th Level Fighter has the same attacks per round as an 11th Level Pathfinder character. Given that the upper end of Radiance's power level is equivalent to around 9th-10th level in Pathfinder this seems to work out.

Ranged Combat:

Ignoring that Fighter can't focus on Range...

A starting Ranger can have Rapid Shot for 2 shots per round and the most advanced Ranger can use many shots for 3 per round.

In Pathfinder a dedicated Archer will have 1 shot starting out, usually pick up rapid shot by 3rd level for a 2nd attack, Have a 3rd shot at level 6, and a 4th at level 11. (Ignoring manyshot in pathfinder making 1 shot do double damage.)

So in Radiance RPG a 20th level ranger has the same number of attacks as a 6th Level Pathfinder character. This seems a little under the power curve. In Pathfinder, howeverm ranged combat is usually seen as a little overpowered so this may be by design.

Two Weapon Fighting.

This one seems the worst to me.
In Pathfinder a dedicated Martial charcater with Two-Weapon Fighting will have 2 attacks at 1st level, 4 at 6-7th level, and 6 at 11-12th level.

In Radiance RPG Two-Weapon Fighters NEVER get more than 2 attacks per round, 1 with each weapon. There are NO advanced or paragon abilities that support this fighting style.

On the constructive side I think the best solution would be a new base class that acts more like the classic 3.5/Pathfinder Fighter.

VanceMadrox

First Post
Continuing my sample character:

At 14th level Jonathon finds himself in a position he never expected. After performing a great service, he was granted the hand of a Lady in marriage and a magical Heroic Standard as a wedding gift. He now finds himself navigating a world where his skill with his sword is no real help and has had to learn the ins and outs of high society. Still, he is a warrior first and despite his knighthood and new love he wishes he were more free to be a traveller and monster hunter again. The lessons of his youth hold fast though and he will not abandon obligations.

Sir Jonathon Smithson, Level 14 Fighter
NG Medium Human Male, Theme: Noble
Deity: Voktra Faith Points: 7
Str: 19 Dex: 14 Con: 16 Int: 10 Wis: 13 Cha: 14 Com: 11
Saves: F: 25 R: 21 W: 21
Hit Points: W: 11 V: 76

Attack Bonus: +11 Armor: DR 7, 10 vs 1 Opponent
Init: +2 (+2 Dex) Speed: 30 ft Low Light Vision
Weapons & Armor: All groups

Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +17 (1d10 + 19) 19-20 x2
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +16 (2d6 + 19) 19-20 x2
Power Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +15 (1d10 + 24) 19-20 x2
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +14 (2d6 + 24) 19-20 x2
Rapid Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +17/+17 (1d10 + 19) 19-20 x2
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +16/+16 (2d6 + 19) 19-20 x2
Power Attack & Rapid Attack:
Masterwork Bastard Sword (1 Handed) +15 (1d10 + 24) / +17 (1d10 + 19) 19-20 x2
Masterwork Bastard Sword (2 Handed) +14 (2d6 + 24) / +16 (2d6 + 19) 19-20 x2
Masterwork Heavy Crossbow: +12 (1d10 + 1)

Skills: Acrobatics +7, Appraise +3, Athletics +11, Bluff +6, Craft +5, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +8, Handle Animal +3, Insight +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +5, Nobility +10, Perception +16, Pilot +7, Streetwise +5, Warcraft +11

Abilities:

Racial:
Adaptable: Basic Ability: Power Attack
Great Fortitude
Heroic Mien
Quick Learner: Craft
Army Skills
Human Inheritance
Iron Will
Zest for Living

Core:
Combat Focus
Rapid Attack
Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword

Basic:
Action Ready
Charge
Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Forge Master
Hustle
Power Attack (Granted by Adaptable)
Powerful Blow
Rapid Reload
Respect
Tactical Pep
Toughness
Vitality Surge

Intermediate:
Ace
All You Need is Kill
Armor Specialization
Improved Critical: Heavy Blades
Second Wind
Shield Specialization
Warlord
Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword
Wounding Strike

Advanced:
Art of War
Nightmare Assault
Warlord General

Paragon:
Weapon Mastery: Bastard Sword

Awards:

Minor:
Skill Diversity (Dilettante): Appraise, Streetwise, Warcraft
Free Minded (Dilettane)
Explorer Skills (Explorer)
Linguist (Explorer)
Endure Elements (Explorer)
Lesser Title (Noble)

Major:
Master Explorer(Explorer)
Monster Lorekeeper (Explorer)

Encumbrance: 13 Slots

Gear: Masterwork Bastard Sword, Champion's Elven Chain, Masterwork Buckler, Masterwork Heavy Crossbow, Expert Pack, Boots of the Hare, Invisibility Ring, Heroic Standard, 3000gp worth of consumables, 1,057gp

VanceMadrox

First Post
Just wanted to say I got my print copies in and they're very nice.

First time I've bought any printed material from Drive Thru RPG and I'm quite pleased.

Also I noticed it's been more than a week since you've be online Ancient Spirits, hope everything's ok.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases