Master of Jade, Mistress of Iron - a World of Conclave adventure

Dr Simon

Explorer
The Catfish, Thievestown, City of Llaza, Fnoi Province.

It is a typically hot and humid summer evening for Llaza. In some circumstances the weather would be termed ‘sultry’, but this carries with it an air of romance and mystery, which a Llazan summer night assuredly does not have. This is more like being smothered by a hot damp towel, as if the whole city has become a giant bathhouse.

The heat and humidity does little to improve Thievestown’s distinctive smell, a community of boat people who live their entire lives afloat… and have no access to sanitation other than casting waste of all kinds overboard.

The denizens of the Catfish, however, are unfazed by swelter and stench. Not when there are yen to be made and lost. A double-decked houseboat festooned with brightly-coloured lanterns, the Catfish can be found somewhere in the centre of the ever-shifting mass of Thievestown. It can be reached by hiring one of the many boat-taxis that ply the harbour waters of Llaza (not, of course, members of the reputable Boatsman’s Guild), or by the other method of travelling in Thievestown – hopping from deck to deck on the tightly-packed boats. Thievestown inhabitants are accustumed to the deckspace of their sampans being used as access for everyone else – many of the more permanent residents have set up systems of gangplanks and rope bridges for people to use.

The upper deck of the Catfish is where the serious gamblers go to play. The air is ribboned with smoke from countless golden yaama pipes, the silence is broken only by the clicking of dragon tiles and the occasional utterance - a bet or a gaming exchange. The lower deck is more lively, home to a range of games of chance and games of skill, from the Wheel of Fortune to beetle races, not to mention all the side-betting. Hostesses serve either the potent jinka rum, or for those who want to keep a level head there is tea. No food is served, but Llazan entrepeneurship being what it is, the Catfish is surrounded at all times by tiny skiffs serving a range of food from precariously balanced stoves and skillets; the customers of the Catfish leaning over the side to exchange yen for fried noodles (and often leaning over the side again later to deposit the noodles back into the water).

This, then, is where you are due to meet Vaal Zeshon, the man with yellow jade for sale. His message said that he could be found by the Wheel of Fortune, wearing a yellow sash.

[sblock=People, Places and Things]
Various things revealed during the course of this adventure.

The Black River Society - a criminal cartel.
Shem - small-time crook sought by the Black River Society for unspecified reasons, but hints at some kind of fraud. Mistaken with Vaal Zeshon.
The Otter Girl - a nai-nek-chai shapeshifter implicated in the assassination of Vaal/Shem.
Palu Devil - a spidery creature from the Hudan Technocracy.
Red Jade Spirits - found in red jade, enter the body through wounds and turn mortals into bloodthirsty monsters.
House Turif - large and powerful Merchant's League house.
Lady Calis Ondra-Turif - aka Lady C and the Mistress of Iron. Octogenarian matriarch of House Turif.
Jantrashan - magician working in house Turif's personal guard.
The Shadow Lark - a two-masted sea-going junk.
Ying Woo - Captain of the Shadow Lark.
Tara-Ki - First mate of the Shadow Lark.
Kop - Bosun of the Shadow Lark

Vaal Zeshon's "map":
The maps are highly stylised, more diagrams, but perhaps no less useful for that. They don't depict Thell, but a series of islands. Clearly marked on the map is the "Tuuma Strait", then an "Island of the Smoking Crown". There is then depicted a journey up a river from a "Circular Bay" and a trek inland where the river is shown to fork at twin waterfalls, to a plateau marked with a "Cave of Three Eyes", where is marked "Here I hid the white jade, beneath the stone marked with a [and here is used the High Imperial symbol meaning Danger/Bad]"
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Hang the weaponmaster

Jumping over boats was not easy when you have a heavy armour donned, and carry two large metal weapons. But determination is they only thing you need, and Hang had more than enough. He made his way to the floating vice house, jumping and tumbling among the boats. He pushes the door of the Catfish, and walks inside. Full clad in metal, he makes a distinct sound "Clink, clank, clink, clank" as he moves to the wheel of fortune, attracting the gaze of some patrons. He cares not for anything but his contact, so he has eyes only for those with yellow sashes.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Malachite the Archer

The lower deck of the Catfish rocks almost imperceptibly as Mal ends his graceful leap from the adjacent boat. Though his bulk and rock-like appearance suggest that he's got no place on the water, he moves with confidence and grace as he stalks through the throng. Jade green eyes cast about for the Wheel of Fortune; once he spies his target - the yellow-sashed purveyor of the rare jade he seeks - he approaches.

[sblock=Stat Block]Malachite the Unfettered
Male DaQan Fighter (Archer) 1
CN Medium Outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses Darkvision; Perception +0
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 23 (1d10+1)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Greataxe +4 (1d12+4/x3) and
. . Dagger +4 (1d4+3/19-20/x2) and
. . Cestus +4 (1d4+3/19-20/x2)
Ranged Darkwood Thell Longbow (Str +3) +5 (1d10+3/19-20/x2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 17 (18 vs. Bull Rush, 18 vs. Drag)
Feats Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Traits Armor Expert, Rich Parents
Skills Climb +7, Survival +4, Swim +7
Languages Edraldi, Low Imperial, Thell
SQ Stone in the Blood, Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day)
Combat Gear Darkwood Thell Longbow (Str +3), Greataxe, Dagger, Dagger, Cestus, Arrows (40), Blunt arrows (20), Masterwork Chain shirt; Other Gear Backpack, masterwork (10 @ 23 lbs), Bedroll, Belt pouch (2 @ 1 lbs), Flint and steel, Grappling hook, Hammock, Silk rope, Torch (2), Trail rations (4), Whetstone, Wrist sheath, spring loaded (1 @ 1 lbs), Wrist sheath, spring loaded (1 @ 1 lbs)
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Dagger - 0/1
Dagger - 0/1
Arrows - 0/40
Blunt arrows - 0/20
Torch - 0/2
Trail rations - 0/4
Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day) - 0/1
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Armor Expert -1 Armor check penalty.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into combat.
Stone in the Blood Gain fast healing 2 for one round anytime you are subject to acid damage.
Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day) Transform a 10-ft. radius patch of earth into difficult terrain.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
The eyes of the man in the yellow sash widen in surprise and apprehension as he sees a heavily armoured man and a hulking figure, surely half-spirit, heading towards him through the throng (who part easily for the two, but pay them little heed). He quickly recovers himself though and smooths down the front of his coarse silk lashong.

"Vaal Zeshon," he says. "I take it you gentlemen are looking for me?" His eyes scan the gaming floor. "Excuse me, I'm expecting others as well. Drinks while we wait?"

Falkus

Explorer
Sil the Thief

The short, black furred Tlaxu made her way onto the Catfish, nimbly leaping from boat to boat as she made her way across the harbor; making good use of her agility and, on occasion, her claws to scramble up the wooden sides of a larger ship.

Landing on the the deck of the Catfish, ignoring the various salesman calling out to her from the skiffs surrounding it; she pushed her way through the crowd towards the interior; soon spotting the man in the yellow sash, and making her way over to him.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"Indeed. I'm Hang Shemin." Says the armor clad man, puting a fist to his chest, and bowing slightly. "I'm honoured by your invitation, but I have to decline it; business like this are the most serious of events, not to be spoiled by stupefacients."

slobster

Hero
Pausing two boats away, Bi crouches to take a few calming breaths. He runs his hands absently through his mop of fine, messy black hair and takes stock of his equipment (such as it is) one last time. The knives are sharp and in their accustomed places, his three coin purses are secreted about his body, and his various other tools are ready to go. With nothing else to justify his pause, he still remains crouched on the boat, looking up at the brightly lit Catfish.

The moment stretches until it becomes clear that Bi is procrastinating. The small fox next to him sits, then stretches its jaws in a wide vulpine yawn. It looks into Bi's eyes and crooks its head to the side, a clear question.

"You're right, you're right", Bi mutters. He takes one last breath, then rises from his crouch. "I'll bring you back some dumplings or something, ok? You just stay out of sight and wait for me to get back."

The fox seems to sigh, then lies down with drooped ears. "Oh don't be worried like that. This is a simple meeting, just to see what the big deal is about this yellow jade. We could be rich! And if there is anything fishy about the whole thing, it's just a meeting. What's risky about a meeting?"

The fox gives him an even, stern gaze, as if to say "now you've done it". Bi chuckles and gives the fox a wink full of all the self-confidence and reassurance he can muster. Then he turns around and leaps to the next boat, then over to the Catfish.

In the sudden onslaught of people and excitement, Bi tries his best to look small and keep from being noticed. He scans the area for any hostile presences (a mostly useless gesture, he knows, he's rubbish at casing an area. This is why a thief needs a crew!) and then catches sight of the man in the yellow sash. With his reservations still nagging at the back of his mind, Bi angles through the crowd to introduce himself to the contact.

He forces an amiable smile onto his young face. "Good day, gentlemen." He bows respectfully to each of the men present. "Bi, at your service."

[sblock=EDIT]Assess the area. I roll a check to assess the area not . . . not what I wrote in the dice roller. :p[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Blue the Spirit-talker

Blue is freshly bathed but is still experiencing a disconnectedness from his extended hosting of Wild Jade Wolf. The feeling is much like he had been breathing yaama smoke, he imagines, and so he stops at one of the skiffs surrounding the Catfish to purchase a bowl of noodles.

Slurping noodles, Blue jumps across to the Catfish and begins winding his way through the crowd looking for the Wheel of Fortune and the man with the yellow sash. Unfortunately, eating again isn't grounding him in the physical realm as much as he expected and he can feel Wild Jade Wolf pressing on him in the spirit's eagerness for him to acquire the yellow jade.

"Back off a bit," mutters Blue earning him a glare from a nearby patron of the Catfish. "Oh, no, I meant..." The man turns away and Blue continues with a shrug.

Spotting the Wheel and a small crowd of men Blue sidles up hoping it is the man he is looking for but dismayed at the number of rivals for the yellow jade. As he presses in closer he steps up next to a tlaxu and is taken by surprise by a surge of emotion from Wild Jade Wolf that causes the hair on the nape of his neck to stand up and prompts the beginnings of a growl. He coughs slopping noodles on the deck and shrugs helplessly.

"Ah, sorry."

[sblock=MiniStats]Blue Eye Bellows[/sblock]

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
He-Mit

The narrow skiff bumping against the Catfish brings He-Mit out of his lethargic state, and he turns a hard stare to the driver. The man moves the skiff to a rope ladder and He-Mit tosses him a silver before starting the short climb up.

Sighing as he scans the deck he dreads one more time coming here. If this yellow jade were not so important he would rather be back in the mountains, even sheep dung smelled sweeter than these retches.

Using his ears more than his eyes he quickly finds the Wheel of Fortune as it spins in the background. Approaching the area, it takes a minute to find the man in the yellow sash as he is currently surrounded by a group of "people".

Wondering just how far out this Vaal reached to find a buyer, He-Mit worries that the boat may not be big enough.

When Vaal notices the man's stare, He-Mit nods his head in a solemn hello, and says. "I am He-Mit of Crossing Way. You must be Vaal Zeshon, the caller of this gathering."

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"Vaal Zeshon," he says. "I take it you gentlemen are looking for me?" His eyes scan the gaming floor. "Excuse me, I'm expecting others as well. Drinks while we wait?"

"Malachite." The DaQan nods to Vaal Zeshon, the touch of Thellingerstan clear on his tongue as he speaks. "Tea would be appreciated."

As the others arrive, he sizes them up warily. So many . . . I hope I don't have to kill them to get the Jade.

[sblock=Stat Block]Malachite the Unfettered
Male DaQan Fighter (Archer) 1
CN Medium Outsider (native)
Init +3; Senses Darkvision; Perception +0
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 23 (1d10+1)
Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +0
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Greataxe +4 (1d12+4/x3) and
. . Cestus +4 (1d4+3/19-20/x2)
Ranged Darkwood Thell Longbow (Str +3) +5 (1d10+3/19-20/x2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 17 (18 vs. Bull Rush, 18 vs. Drag)
Feats Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Traits Armor Expert, Rich Parents
Skills Climb +7, Survival +4, Swim +7
Languages Edraldi, Low Imperial, Thell
SQ Stone in the Blood, Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day)
Combat Gear Darkwood Thell Longbow (Str +3), Greataxe, Dagger, Dagger, Cestus, Arrows (40), Blunt arrows (20), Masterwork Chain shirt; Other Gear Backpack, masterwork (10 @ 23 lbs), Bedroll, Belt pouch (2 @ 1 lbs), Flint and steel, Grappling hook, Hammock, Silk rope, Torch (2), Trail rations (4), Whetstone, Wrist sheath, spring loaded (1 @ 1 lbs), Wrist sheath, spring loaded (1 @ 1 lbs)
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Dagger - 0/1
Dagger - 0/1
Arrows - 0/40
Blunt arrows - 0/20
Torch - 0/2
Trail rations - 0/4
Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day) - 0/1
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Armor Expert -1 Armor check penalty.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into combat.
Stone in the Blood Gain fast healing 2 for one round anytime you are subject to acid damage.
Treacherous Earth (1 minutes) (1/day) Transform a 10-ft. radius patch of earth into difficult terrain.
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases