Name ONE favourite thing about your favourite edition

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In this thread, you get to name ONE thing about one edition that you love. Nothing to do with things you don't like, or editions you don't enjoy - just a positive thing about something you love. It can be any edition of D&D or Pathfinder.

So what ONE thing so you choose, and why?

For me it's 1E artwork; particularly the black and white stuff and the cartoons in the rule books. Maybe it was my age, but that artwork really drew me in at the time. It was a simpler time, it feels, and the artwork reflected that.

pemerton

Legend
My favourite edition is 4e. The one thing I will choose for this thread is the integration of PC build, monsters and mythic history: so the default of the game is the PCs engaging with and transforming the fundamental cosmology of the game. It's the Glorantha-isation of D&D!

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Picking one is hard. :p

I shall go with 3.5's philosophy of monsters being more or less built like characters allowing me to use all sorts of wacky critters as potential player characters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I really like Pathfinder archetypes. They provide lots of different ideas for customizing a character around a coherent theme.

S

Sunseeker

Favorite Edition: 4e
Favorite feature: Power "cards". Aside from the fact that they can be cut out and put into sleeves which I find fun, I like the idea of restricting rules and flavor text to a limited amount of space, it's one of my attractions to MTG as well. Clear, straight-forward, simple. People did it for years with making spell-flashcards so I appreciate that WOTC paid attention and integrated something nearly everyone did into the game.

Libramarian

Adventurer
1e magic items, definitely. I like how they're weird and quite powerful and for the most part (there are exceptions, yes) they just do what it seems like they should do, without having catches and restrictions to limit their impact on the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases