D&D 5E Mud Sorcerer's Tomb - Crappy adventure? Or CrappiEST adventure?

Jharet

Explorer
Just finished surviving the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb in Pathfinder. It was extremely frustrating to navigate, but a lot of fun to actually survive. Modern gamers shouldn't be so whiny about hard adventures. Not everything should be served on a silver platter.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
I have run MST twice, once in 1996, and I'm running through it now. I can't speak for your DM, but both of my groups enjoyed it immensely. It is not an instant gratification adventure, and that makes me happy, because when the rewards come they're more fulfilling. The story is pretty solid and the motivations and intra-encounter strands are thoughtful and logical. It also definitely leaves hooks for future adventures if you want them.

Shiroiken

Legend
Glad this was necroed, as I missed it the first time around. I know nothing about MST, but I'd still be willing to bet it's not worse than the Forest Oracle.

Edit: should have been not worse, instead of worse

Last edited:

ThorinTeague

The 3.5 and 5e versions of MST both did a poorer job of presenting the lore and backstory IMO. I used them for the mechanics but Dragon #37 for the adventure text. Dunno if that helps anything. I and everyone Ive played it with think it's awesome.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The almost universally proclaimed and accepted "Worst module ever made." At least until this thread was made about this adventure.

N2 is the common answer. For your delight, might I suggest the following two, even worse, alternatives?

1. WG7 Castle Greyhawk. Not only is this a terrible, terrible "module," it is the worst example of bait-and-switch ever. Imagine seeing an adventure that people had been waiting for .... for 20 years, and finding out that it was a mean-spirited "parody" that wasn't much of an adventure.

2. Terrible Trouble at Tragidore. This is the Detroit Lions of the terrible adventures- an adventure that is both so terrible, and so forgotten, that people forget how terrible it was when ranking terrible adventures. It starts by taking your characters and getting rid of all of your stuff ... and goes downhill from there.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
N2 is the common answer. For your delight, might I suggest the following two, even worse, alternatives?

1. WG7 Castle Greyhawk. Not only is this a terrible, terrible "module," it is the worst example of bait-and-switch ever. Imagine seeing an adventure that people had been waiting for .... for 20 years, and finding out that it was a mean-spirited "parody" that wasn't much of an adventure.

I admit to a bit of bias on this one - it was the first set of adventures 14 year old me actually ran for a group (by total chance - friend liked the cover art). With that:

1. At the time. I had no idea of the history behind Castle Greyhawk or that the adventure was essentially a massive middle finger to Gygax - as such didn't bother me at the time.

2. While silly, most of the levels are whimsical and quite payable. Without the baggage, the module is actually quite fun.

So from a strict adventure perspective, IMO the Forrest Oracle is worse - it's nonsensical. basically non-playable and worst of all just no fun.

2. Terrible Trouble at Tragidore. This is the Detroit Lions of the terrible adventures- an adventure that is both so terrible, and so forgotten, that people forget how terrible it was when ranking terrible adventures. It starts by taking your characters and getting rid of all of your stuff ... and goes downhill from there.

This one, I'll agree with. A 5th level adventure that strips the PCs of all gear, makes almost no sense and is, again - just plain no fun.

ThorinTeague

WG7 I have seen, wouldn't run it though. Looks ridiculous. For those who strongly dislike MST I am curious to hear what adventures you consider to be great or favorites.

Remove ads