Pathfinder 1E First session on new campaign finally done, need some advice on enemies.

dragonis111

First Post
After 2 weeks worth of delays I finally held the first session at my house. With my custom made town in brevoy still in development, my party was visiting a makeshift town which will be replaced with my town by next week, and they ended up fighting a medium air elemental, and a zombie bear. The thing is the party is made up of 5 level 4 characters, and currently the monster causing all the problems around the town is an efreeti which is a cr 8. What would be the best way to balance the fight without making it too easy for the party to win?

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Make sure some of the party members have access to flight, at least temporarily, and some way to deal with invisibility, and some resistance to fire. This should nullify many of the genies powers that would give a lower level party the most trouble.

dragonis111

First Post
so how would I go about temporarily giving them flight and fire resistance without giving and then taking away magic items, as I don't want to be an indian giver.

Empirate

First Post
You could also have an NPC with just the right spells drop in, some legendary efreeti-hunter for example:
"Ladies & Gentlemen, I, Yappy McColdmage, Gentleman Adventurer, heard you had problems with an Efreeti? This here specimen is far too weak to warrant my full, personal attention, yet I shall help such promising fellows as yourselves in your first Efreeti-slaying, of many to come, there's hoping! Here you go with some Mass Fire Resistance, and here's some Mass Fly, to boot. I also have a scroll of Glitterdust, should you require it, but I will be obliged to charge going rates for it, I'm sorry to say. Good luck!"

Another way would be for the Efreeti to become a recurring villain: don't plan on it to be defeated just yet, have it whoop the party's collective behind for now, but have the party stop its plans (whatever they are). Later on, when the party meets the efreeti again, they may be more powerful, better equipped, and overall more knowledgeable of what they need to bring to the fight in order to win it.

Finally, a more... didactic approach might be to have the party charge right in, and play the fight out normally. Some fights are hard, and that's how the game is meant to be played. PCs do die from time to time, and there's nothing for it. If it happens, it happens. Just stay away from a TPK, those are no fun - when the Efreeti sees the party is no match for it, it could just fly away.

Painfully

First Post
You could also have someone provide a way to "trap" the efreet, and reward the party. Then, a few sessions later they hear about an efreet with a new master being used to do bad things (preferably to somebody emotionally close to a PC member)...and it was all the party's fault, and maybe they will want to make things right by going after the efreet AND the scum who "helped" them earlier. Of course, this scum might be part of a bigger cult, or secret society, etc. Which just leads the party to their next mission.

Think in layers my friend...layers, upon layers.

Remove ads