Need help with an XP issue in my campaign

Vinciente

First Post
**This is a 1st level homebrew Pathfinder game**
Having gotten burnt out on the "same old thing" for starting level PCs; I put my adventurers on ship & forced them out too sea, by creating a storm that would have smashed the ship's hull on the docks while they were mustered for evening roll call for new hires to meet the rest of the crew.

Once they overcame the haphazard attempt to help secure the ship's safe departure from the port, I followed the morning wake up with cries from the crow's nest of hostiles approaching & in short order had them engaged in ship to ship combat with siege weapons.
**This is where the XP issue comes in**
I ran that scene off the cuff & now I need to figure out the XP for it, as well as XP for the next thing (getting the ship off a reef & discovering a "secret" opening along the reef). I have plenty to role-play through w/o combat to get through the next session easily, just no idea of what kind of XP to tie to the 2 events.

Any tips/suggestions to keep the XP balanced, to the moderate progression chart, would be highly appreciated.

On Puget Sound

First Post
How soon do you want them to reach 2nd level? If you want them to level up in, say, about 4-5 more encounters, give them 20% of a level's xp. If you want them to stay at level 1 longer, or level up sooner, adjust accordingly.

Razjah

Explorer
How soon do you want them to reach 2nd level? If you want them to level up in, say, about 4-5 more encounters, give them 20% of a level's xp. If you want them to stay at level 1 longer, or level up sooner, adjust accordingly.

This. Or skip XP all together, since there is no longer XP payment for spells and crafting you could just tell the group when they level.

Wycen

Explorer
While the above suggestions csn work well, first you need to know if your players are ok with that game mechanic.

Do you have a flaky player who only shows up 1 out of 3 sessions? The above idea works well in that case for keeping characters close in capability. But will the other players appreciate this "free" xp that character/player is getting?

For me, I like getting xp, but thats because I enjoy calculating how much stuff my character has and how close or far I am from levelling. But I am ok with the "just tell them to level" method.

As for how much xp, first determine the number of defeated enemies and a general CR and work from there. For the storm, I might suggest finding a trap,weather condition, or appropriate hazard with a CR listed and use that. A duststorm/sandstorm is a CR 3 event for example.

Remove ads