Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Not sure I really want to give them All Around Vision --- didn't 1E have facing? The "move in any direction" could just be about that. But I guess I'm not terribly opposed; clairvoyance for the greater urchins could make it impossible to flank them. Have to think about that.

But all the rest looks good!

Cleon

Legend
Not sure I really want to give them All Around Vision --- didn't 1E have facing? The "move in any direction" could just be about that. But I guess I'm not terribly opposed; clairvoyance for the greater urchins could make it impossible to flank them. Have to think about that.

But all the rest looks good!

Updating the Land Urchin Working Draft.

I'll leave off adding the All-Around Vision for now.

I'm pretty sure the "no front or back"in AD&D terms would mean the Land Urchin can't be back-stabbed or flanked.

Last edited:

freyar

Well, what the heck. They're round, so we might as well give them All-Around Vision. Though I guess it's more like All-Around Blindsight? That probably doesn't move the needle for CR, I guess.

Cleon

Legend
Works for me. Didn't we look at those and delay them once already?

Yes.

For reference, the original stats for the Valgross are prefixed to my Homebrew.

Those stats are very bare-bones though. The difficulty with the conversion is that the Valgross are symbiotes with a complicated relationship to the ecosystem and major races of their home plane.

I'll PM you the details from the original adventure, Freyar.

Presumably Oryan already has them to hand.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'd better update the Staircase Conversions post.

Last edited:

freyar

Whew, so messy!

I generally like your homebrew version, but I wonder if we can separate a chunk of the SQ, etc, into an underbar or even a template for the host. In fact, I think I'd keep the base stat block and the listed abilities from "Hive Telepathy" (why not Hive Mind?) and above for the actual valgoss entry and make the rest part of a "Valgoss Host" template. And some of the Host Bond ability can be flavor in the template. How's that sound?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases