Your preferred Die Type

sheadunne

Explorer
The d6 is used as a primary dice in many RPGs simply because of its easy access. Most people have plenty of them, if not from RPGs than from boardgames. But I've come to dislike the d6. I blame D&D 3x for my dislike of the die, since the game often requires large amounts of the dice to be rolled at once.

I was thinking, is it really a selling point to have a game based on the d6? Does the math make the d6 a better die? And if it isn't, what die would be the most enjoyable to roll and still produce the results you want from a die?

From a tactile perspective I enjoy rolling the d20. It's roundish and heavier than other dice and has a nice feel to it. But I'm not sure how good a game would be with only d20s.

The closest die to the tactile sensation of a d20 is the d12, which is hardly ever used in games. It's a bit too light, but I like the roundness to it and when you roll multiples it doesn't feel to bad (no real pointy edges like many of the other dice).

The d8 and d4 feel similar to roll, especially when rolling multiples. They usually have pointy edges that don't feel great in my hands.

The d10 is okay, but smaller than I like in die.

The d30 is just way too big, but fun to roll on occasion.

I guess I would probably go with the d12 simply because it's a smaller number base than the d20, but close to the sensation of the d20.

What would be your preference? If you could only have one die to roll all the time, which one would it be?

Rune

Once A Fool
In my opinion, the d6 is the best die to use when designing dice-based games precisely because of its availability.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
The d6 is probably my favorite die, but if I could only have one to roll all the time, I'd pick the d20, I think. But, outside of my RPG, the only real RPG I play is Mutants and Masterminds, so that might be influencing me. As always, play what you like :)

Dethklok

First Post
You all love d20s and d12? They're barely distinguishable from spheres, and the d12 especially takes forever to roll. Maybe what you like about them is their weight? They are often larger than other dice - but you could make a large or dense danything.

In my opinion, the d6 is the best die to use when designing dice-based games precisely because of its availability.
Definitely. But I also like the d8 and d4 because of their exotic character - I like the way they neighbor the d6 and provide contrast. In a purist game, going solely d6 is great; in a game with nifty things, it's nice to have a bit of variety.

Stormonu

Legend
The D20. You can mark five of each of the faces from 1 to 4 to make a d4. You can mark it from 1 to 10 (or 0 to 9) to make a d10. Or you can just roll it as a d20.

Remove ads