Your preferred Die Type

Jhaelen

First Post
d20, followed by the d12. They roll better than dice with fewer sides, and they're more versatile: you can use a d20 as a d4, d5, or a d10. And with the d12 you also have a d3, d4, and d6. Combine both in a matrix to get a d8, d24, etc. And by themselves they have a wieder range of possible outcomes than the rest of the (usual) dice.

I don't like any dice that aren't based on platonic shapes, e.g. the d10. It's simply unnecessary to have them when there are so much better replacements.

Dethklok

First Post
The D20. You can mark five of each of the faces from 1 to 4 to make a d4. You can mark it from 1 to 10 (or 0 to 9) to make a d10. Or you can just roll it as a d20.
No that's a good point. Unfortunately, it's tough for an individual to easily mark dice without screwing them up.

Also, I talked to my gaming group about something like this - specifically, using the d6 for everything. A remaked d6 becomes a trapezoidally curved d4 (1,2,2,3,3,4) a spread out d8 (1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8) or d10 (1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10) or even a funky way of getting 0-3 (0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3). The problem, as my friends pointed out, is that all of your dice feel like d6 when you do this.

Likewise, if you use d20 for everything like that, you lose the exotic shape and feel of the d10 and d4.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Anything except the d4. I hate d4s. They don't roll; they just plop onto the table. They are also dangerous when the cat leaves them on the floor. I roll d8/2 when called on to roll a d4.

Dethklok

First Post
Anything except the d4. I hate d4s. They don't roll; they just plop onto the table.
I know, I used to hate them too. They take a little finesse because they're halfway between an ordinary die and a coin; you have to twirl them in the air. Once I learned that, I started to like them.

Argyle King

Legend
I've come to like 3d6 as a resolution mechanic because the game I play most often uses it, so I guess I'd say the d6.

However...

Reading the OP, I considered what was said, and I do have to agree that I like the more rounded feel of a d20 and a d12.

With both of those things considered, I think the best of both worlds -for me- would be to use a d12 that is numbered twice so as to function as a d6 and then just roll 3d12 (using the twelves that are numbered one through six twice.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases