D&D 5E Idea to handle the "ghoul problem"

JeffB

Legend
Not sure if this was mentioned, I did not look through every post. But the slavers bestiary NEXT download has only a claws attack, and a bite attack. No claw/claw/bite. In addition, only the claws attack causes paralysis. So only one save needed.

Sounds like Mike just was not running things correctly.

Garndan

First Post
ok but can a ghoul use grapple with both of its claw attacks? PHB 5e suggest only one attack can be a grapple. This is for players though not monsters. some one may have answered this I just didn't catch it!

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
ok but can a ghoul use grapple with both of its claw attacks? PHB 5e suggest only one attack can be a grapple. This is for players though not monsters. some one may have answered this I just didn't catch it!

The ghoul makes only one attack, with either its bite or its claws. Since it has hands, it can certainly use its action to grapple instead.

Garndan

First Post
I really don't get why 5e messed this one up! A Ghoul is an undead monster that starves for living flesh. It also is Humanoid meaning it stands upright on two legs and the ghoul has a dexterity of 15. In my mind a Ghoul should have Multi-attack with its 2 claws. Being a DM since the mid 70's I can not see the ghoul attacking any other way until its victim is paralyzed and the ghoul then begins to drag its victim away taking a bite out of him every turn! Just my opinion and the way I will continue to play my Ghouls. I am no rule monger especially if applying the rule to a situation that makes no darn sense!

S'mon

Legend
The ghoul problem for me is that in 5e they are underpowered and not nearly scary enough. I think they should have 3 attacks at +3/d6+1 necrotic, each being a DC 10 paralysis save. Save to end, fail 3 saves and you're paralysed for an hour. Still weak compared to 1e-3e but at least has the flavour and the theoretical possibility of being chewed on while still alive.

Remove ads