Wall as an object with Continual Flame

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm constructing a fortress again, much easier to do as a Druid than as an arcane caster.
My simple question- If Continual Flame or a similar spell (Such as Light) were to be cast on a wall itself, would it work and if so what section of the wall might the spell cover? I could just build a Sconse but that would not be as cool.

MarkB

Legend
It'd probably work, but in neither case would it light up the whole wall.

Continual Flame would create a heatless flame like that of a torch, maybe a little bigger but not much - perhaps an area of wall the size of a fireplace - and it would provide as much illumination as a torch.

Light would illuminate a 20-foot radius surrounding the spot you touched. It might have the appearance of a 20-foot-radius spotlight being shone against the wall, with another 20 feet out dimly lit.

The spell description defines "one object", so I don't see that it couldn't cover the whole wall. The net amount of light remains fixed, though, as that put out by a torch. I wonder if that means if you cast it on a wall that is greater than 40' long, if the outer sections of wall have light tjat absorbs light to avoid violating the 20' radius rule.

Fun with D&D physics ensues ...

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Thank you, you've each proposed the two sides of what I'm trying to figure out.

I know some wall related rules (Of which I cannot remember or cite now) call for dividing walls into 5' square sections. So I'm imagining either an entire 5' x 5' section of wall would appear to be on fire, or a small torch-sized ball centered on one spot of the wall would be. Honestly it doesn't make that much of a difference on the amount of light shed, but I'm trying to figure out the rules for what sort of "Object" size a wall is considered.

N'raac

First Post
As a GM, I'd be inclined to allow anything from a small, torch-size flame to a 5' wall section - it has no real impact, other than colour.

I'm reminded of a character some years back who paved the road to his home with copper coins, as a statement on just how far out of whack the D&D economy was. This was back in the day when copper was "too cheap to carry", and he had a Portable Hole.

Dozen

First Post
I know some wall related rules (Of which I cannot remember or cite now) call for dividing walls into 5' square sections. So I'm imagining either an entire 5' x 5' section of wall would appear to be on fire, or a small torch-sized ball centered on one spot of the wall would be. Honestly it doesn't make that much of a difference on the amount of light shed, but I'm trying to figure out the rules for what sort of "Object" size a wall is considered.

Hmm... I don't know about the source you mention, either, but I'm privy into the crafting rules. Since, as per the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, walls are priced per 10' in width - which RAW clearly assure us is a Large object, by the way - you should only let a wall section with a periphery of 10 feet be lit. Any more would warrant multiple castings of Continual Flame.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I'd no more let someone cast continual flame on "a wall" (as opposed to a point on the wall) than I would let them cast it on "the castle" or (to go to the obvious extreme) "the world" and have it light the whole thing.

As a GM, I'd be inclined to allow anything from a small, torch-size flame to a 5' wall section - it has no real impact, other than colour.

I'm reminded of a character some years back who paved the road to his home with copper coins, as a statement on just how far out of whack the D&D economy was. This was back in the day when copper was "too cheap to carry", and he had a Portable Hole.

There's a modern-day example of a house floored in pennies. It was cheap (albeit quite labor intensive) flooring.

I'd no more let someone cast continual flame on "a wall" (as opposed to a point on the wall) than I would let them cast it on "the castle" or (to go to the obvious extreme) "the world" and have it light the whole thing.

I'd have no problem with any of these castings.

It's just you get a torch worth of light, cast it on something too big and the light will dim accordingly. I doubt a scientist could figure out that you cast it on the world.

Remove ads