Proposal: Occult Oracle Mystery

Commander_Fallout

First Post
I am, I promise you, going to get around to making this character eventually. However, there is one more thing I'd like to request, the Occult mystery from the Reign of Winter AP. I've looked over it a few times and it fits my oracle idea near perfectly. Specifically, it deals with the subject of death like Bones does, but puts much more of an emphasis on spirits (a big deal for the wayang) than on corporeal undead. And yes, Ancestor does do this also to a degree, but that particular mystery puts a much greater focus on warrior-ing than I really want with this character.

Personally, I think it's a solid mystery that is not only fluff strong (oracular powers granted by the souls of the dead is a common theme in fantasy) but also fills a mechanical gap in the mystery list that could do with filling.

Systole

First Post
My first thoughts are that Brain Drain seems kind of evil and Voice of the Grave might be overpowered at first level, as it duplicates a 3rd level spell.

I'm not necessarily opposed, but I'm not getting that slam-dunk approved feeling. Would like some discussion.

Aura

Explorer
Brain Drain seems to be borderline evil. I would think it appropriate to limit it to non-good characters, much like certain Witch curses, etc. The mechanical effect is lost between a combat and utility spell, so I'm not sure how many people would take it, anyway.

As for Voice of the Grave, I don't think it's too much a concern. It might be a 3rd level spell to replicate, but honestly, that's one of those abilities that the level is pretty arbitrary. And unlike the spell, it's not something you can switch in/switch out (at least with Clerics), so taking it represents a significant choice/sacrifice on part of the player. At the same time, it wouldn't break my heart if it were level limited.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I'm not that concerned about Voice of the Dead. Being limited to rounds, having a low DC very early on, and the other protections already built into the spell limit it's effectiveness without having to worry too much about adding a level restriction. At 1st level, you're looking at a DC of 14 at the most, with the people you're fighting and having available to ask probably not knowing much even if they don't resist answering. It's interesting, and adds a layer of complexity that doesn't usually come until later, but it's not that hard to deal with.

Brain Drain is another limited use ability that wouldn't be that much of a problem. Limiting to non-good characters would be approriate as it is definitely in the camp of those who worry more about the ends than the means, but even without that restriction, it wouldn't be that bad. It's basically a free knowledge check per day (which only goes up to 3 by our level cap); if it applied to others skills, it would be far more worrisome. For as limited a usage as it provides, it seems manageable.

I don't see any reason why it must be approved, but I also don't see anything that really raises alarm bells after fully reading the powers.

Remove ads