What's your favorite trap?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Well, as mentioned, I don't particularly like traps, but these 'living' traps are even worse. They are too obviously specifically designed by the DM to screw the players, without regard for making any actual sense. I hate that kind of meta-gaming arms-race.

Cloakers and lurkers we love. We consider them a natural evolution of magical creatures.

Ears seekers and rot grubs, we tend to agree with [MENTION=46713]Jhaelen[/MENTION].

Jesters Hand

First Post
Too much emphasis on the kiil, not the flavor.

Well, as mentioned, I don't particularly like traps, but these 'living' traps are even worse. They are too obviously specifically designed by the DM to screw the players, without regard for making any actual sense. I hate that kind of meta-gaming arms-race.

If a DM wants to screw the players over there are plenty of ways to do it. A great trap (with a good DM) is designed to exercise the minds of its players. The living traps are a great way to add tension, and breaking up monotony. I think a good DM would know the right time and place to use them, and they should never be an un beatable trick or trap. If you don't provide a good challenge, with some risk and reward it will be hard to keep players around the table. Lots of stuff in ad&d doesn't make sense (magic for example) but i think that's why we love it.

and of course the good company.

Stormonu

Legend
The mimic disguised as a treasure chest. Or better yet, the inn infested with a mimic that tends to disguise itself as a bed.

"All of our rooms have one bed. If you find otherwise, please report it to me immediately."

Remove ads