First Impressions & Feedback - N.E.W.

LucasC

First Post
We haven’t actually played a game yet, that will come in another week or two, but I have read through the rulebook. Here are my initial thoughts.

The Good

The game looks interesting. I’ve never played O.L.D. so all the mechanics and such are unknown. I am looking forward to running (or possibly playing) N.E.W. game.

I also really like the guides in the latter part of the book that talk about creating custom content – creatures, races, careers, etc. I imagine that this will be a very good resource for GMs.

The countdown mechanic looks intriguing. I like it so much that, assuming it plays as awesome as it seems it’s going to, I’ll probably import some version of it into other games.

Several of the combat maneuvers look like they will make for interesting play. Particularly the penalties that stack up if you don’t keep moving, the crossfire mechanic and the covering fire.

Diversity of options – drugs, diseases, equipment, etc.

The Bad

I am not a fan of core rulebook mechanics structured around assumed setting elements. The only place I really noticed this in N.E.W. is regarding Psi-Corps. If there was a reason for it, OK, but there doesn't seem to be any game-advantage to assuming Psi-Corps will exist in every setting. It does, however, create a number of sections of core text that I’ll need to instruct my PCs to ignore as there won’t be a Psi-Corps in the games we play (psionics yes, Psi-Corps no).

More aliens, exotic technologies, bizarre player races and less fantasy (ogrons remind me strongly of ogres, borians are too dwarf/halfling, gobbers too goblin, etc.)

Things I’d Like More Of

Starship combat. There’s some guidelines for adjudicating it but this game needs starship combat rules. What would Star Wars be without some of the amazing dog fights? Hopefully there’s more coming here.

Compiled list of useful charts. There are many good charts in the book but they are somewhat scattered. Could use something like a GM Screen that brings many of these together.

Formatting & Editing

There were several spelling errors I noted but unfortunately my notes did not get saved. As I cross them again I’ll note them down so I can give you a page reference.

The treatment of SOAK is inconsistent. Sometimes it is presented in all caps, sometimes with the first letter capitalized and sometimes all lower case.

Consistency of ability checks is also inconsistent. Late in the document they were spelled out completely while the rest of the document they were abbreviated down to 3 letters. Again, I’ll make a note of these pages when next I come across them.

That’s all for now. Looking forward to playing a few sessions.

Lucas
embersds.com/blog

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We haven’t actually played a game yet, that will come in another week or two, but I have read through the rulebook. Here are my initial thoughts.

The Good

The game looks interesting. I’ve never played O.L.D. so all the mechanics and such are unknown. I am looking forward to running (or possibly playing) N.E.W. game.

I also really like the guides in the latter part of the book that talk about creating custom content – creatures, races, careers, etc. I imagine that this will be a very good resource for GMs.

The countdown mechanic looks intriguing. I like it so much that, assuming it plays as awesome as it seems it’s going to, I’ll probably import some version of it into other games.

Several of the combat maneuvers look like they will make for interesting play. Particularly the penalties that stack up if you don’t keep moving, the crossfire mechanic and the covering fire.

Diversity of options – drugs, diseases, equipment, etc.

The Bad

I am not a fan of core rulebook mechanics structured around assumed setting elements. The only place I really noticed this in N.E.W. is regarding Psi-Corps. If there was a reason for it, OK, but there doesn't seem to be any game-advantage to assuming Psi-Corps will exist in every setting. It does, however, create a number of sections of core text that I’ll need to instruct my PCs to ignore as there won’t be a Psi-Corps in the games we play (psionics yes, Psi-Corps no).

More aliens, exotic technologies, bizarre player races and less fantasy (ogrons remind me strongly of ogres, borians are too dwarf/halfling, gobbers too goblin, etc.)

Things I’d Like More Of

Starship combat. There’s some guidelines for adjudicating it but this game needs starship combat rules. What would Star Wars be without some of the amazing dog fights? Hopefully there’s more coming here.

Compiled list of useful charts. There are many good charts in the book but they are somewhat scattered. Could use something like a GM Screen that brings many of these together.

Formatting & Editing

There were several spelling errors I noted but unfortunately my notes did not get saved. As I cross them again I’ll note them down so I can give you a page reference.

The treatment of SOAK is inconsistent. Sometimes it is presented in all caps, sometimes with the first letter capitalized and sometimes all lower case.

Consistency of ability checks is also inconsistent. Late in the document they were spelled out completely while the rest of the document they were abbreviated down to 3 letters. Again, I’ll make a note of these pages when next I come across them.

That’s all for now. Looking forward to playing a few sessions.

Lucas
embersds.com/blog

Thanks! That's some useful information! One thing I'll note - please pay zero attention to the presentation, formatting, grammar, etc. As a draft document, it'll go through editors and layout artists, and there's little to no explanatory text in there yet. I haven't even begun to think about that stuff, and likely won't for months. This very much isn't the gorgeous hardcover colour book that will come out eventually; it's just a Word doc converted to PDF. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Incidentally, I just wrote a quick starship combat system in under 5 pages. I think it works quite well, though I haven't been able to test it yet. It'll be in the next playtest update.

LucasC

First Post
Real short version -

Anytime you need to run a situation with limited time, pick a number between 1 and (whatever). Each round roll that many d6s. Any dice that come up 6 are removed. Repeat each round. When you run out of d6s in the pool time's up.

Example- say you are in space with a hole in your spacesuit. Your running out of air. Your GM decides that is a 5-dice countdown. You roll 5d6. Two come up 6s so they are removed. Next round you roll 3d6. None come up 6s so they all stay. Next round you get unlucky and three of them come up as 6s. Your out of time.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, it's used for the dying mechanic, too, while unconscious; and I haven't written it yet, but will also be used for diseases (with the bonus that a good doctor can actually replenish the pool).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds great!

Here's a peek. It's quite simple at present.

ships.jpg

LucasC

First Post
Yeah, it's used for the dying mechanic, too, while unconscious; and I haven't written it yet, but will also be used for diseases (with the bonus that a good doctor can actually replenish the pool).

The beauty of it is that it can work for anything you want to time gate.

• Need to figure out how long after you kill the boss his castle will take to collapse? Countdown
  • How many rounds before the ruckus your making is noticed? Countdown
  • How long before the snow buries you alive? Countdown
  • How long before the thin ice gives way? Countdown

You get the point. It looks like it will be an excellent way to quickly and easily adjudicate anything with a time-based element where the rules are either nonexistent, lacking or unsatisfactory.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases