Running Multiple Characters

was

Adventurer
Do you enjoy running multiple pc's in a game or do you prefer to limit yourself to a single character?

Wangalade

Explorer
I have played two characters before, i even played three characters simultaneously once. i found that if you are decent at multitasking you can keep track of everything each character does mechanically. however i found it hard to roleplay the characters at the same time. i either focused on one and the other was just int he background, or both really didn't do much social interaction and just did whatever they were good at(killing things or finding traps). so while yes at one time i didn't consider it abnormal or hard, now i only do so if absolutely necessary and i normally don't allow more than one character to a player in any games i run.

Jhaelen

First Post
however i found it hard to roleplay the characters at the same time.
This!
When I first learned about RPGs I assumed it was intended that a single player played the whole party, while the second player was the DM. Fortunately, I soon met an experienced rpg player who taught me how to actually roleplay and since then I never play more than one character at a time. Well, except, in very rare cases, I may play a henchman or familiar in addition to my character.

So, no, I don't enjoy running multiple pcs and consider it badwrongfun ;)

Lindeloef

First Post
Yeah role playing multiple characters so that all of them have an actual personality is the hard part.

Once my players led two NPCs talk to each other without joining the conversation, so I talked there for a minute to myself...

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
The best campaigns I have ever run have been the ones where I have two players each with two characters. It's worked for me across multiple editions of D&D. YMMV.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've played with multiple characters per player before.

In a game that's focused on tactical objectives, it works well enough.

In a game that's focused on the impact of events upon the PCs, and their personality-based reactions, I find it works rather poorly, and don't recommend it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) In a game that's focused on the impact of events upon the PCs, and their personality-based reactions, I find it works rather poorly, and don't recommend it.

By contrast, I find my players handle two characters, even with contradictory goals and personalities really well.

I suppose it's one of those things where it depends on the group.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
By contrast, I find my players handle two characters, even with contradictory goals and personalities really well.

I suppose it's one of those things where it depends on the group.

Or, what you find is "really well" in my book is "not well at all". We could have different yardsticks and priorities, here.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Or, what you find is "really well" in my book is "not well at all". We could have different yardsticks and priorities, here.

That is such an Umbranesque response.

Yes, or different ways of playing the game. Or different games. Anyway, I think my post made it clear that I was not pontificating but simply offering a different, subjective experience.

Remove ads