D&D 5E Proficiency Bonus to AC

Uchawi

First Post
My biggest concern is AC remaining relatively static based on bounded accuracy but allowing saves to scale beyond those bounds. For an abstract game that BA is leaning towards to keep bonuses in check, then saves or even skills should follow the same guidelines. At least then, you could increase the bounds in the system to allow for more distinction and hopefully have an equal effect on AC, saves or even skills.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have AC increase with level.

Unfortunately it does for some PCs, namely any that wear little to no armor and rely on Dexterity. Rogues and monks come to mind.

I would prefer AC and attack bonuses go up at the same rate, which could be "not at all". Perhaps D&DN shouldn't have level-based stat boosts.

Wangalade

Explorer
Unfortunately it does for some PCs, namely any that wear little to no armor and rely on Dexterity. Rogues and monks come to mind.

just because a certain class doesn't wear as much armor, doesn't mean their ac should increase with level. light armor lets you use all of the dex bonus, which in some cases can make up for not wearing heavier armor. also if a character has dex increased when they level, with a 20 dex and leather armor they can have an ac of 16 which is the same as medium armors. if an increase in ac is considered necessary for monks that don't wear armor, then they could have a class feature or a feat that increases ac by a certain amount that fits with the idea of the monk. It is also more realistic in game for those characters that don't wear armor to actually be easier to hit. it should be easier to injure a person wearing leather armor than a person wearing thick heavy metal armor, unless the first person is extremely good at dodging(a high dexterity).

Remove ads