QR codes in books?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some PDFs have media embedded in them. You can't do that in an actual book though.

1) is anyone including QR codes in books?

2) would QR codes liking to media (video, audio) or additional resources be something you'd use if it were there?

(A QR code is a square pattern you scan with your phone and which takes you somewhere on the web - like a URL but fancier and requires no typing).

Nagol

Unimportant
QR makes more sense in a public place where you can grab the link on your phone for use now or later.

In a human-readable book that you're expected to have, just put the link in human readable form. There's no value to encoding it so that the person needs a tool to translate.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
QR makes more sense in a public place where you can grab the link on your phone for use now or later.

In a human-readable book that you're expected to have, just put the link in human readable form. There's no value to encoding it so that the person needs a tool to translate.

How many folks would visit links on websites if they had to type them in rather than click on them? I suspect very few.

QR codes are the closest you can get to clicking on a link that's in a non-electronic format like a book.

My own thought is that the value is in user unfriendly URLs like YouTube's and such. It's a small advantage, sure, but it might be the difference between visiting the link or not.

Or not, of course. That's how I'd use them; I'm not everybody though. I'm sure plenty would just ignore them.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I actually hadn't heard of QR codes. I do know that programs like Serif PagePlus (a page layout software) will allow me to embed a video into a PDF that will play when viewed, and not even require it to be linked to off-document (the video is in the actual PDF). I've considered including a 'how to' video for using software to create map tutorials in this way, within my map tutorials guide books PDF files.

frogimus

First Post
I would be more likely to scan a QR than to bother with a link I have to type. Actually, my eyes would probably filter out the existence of a URL since that's usually an auto-ignore for me.

Nagol

Unimportant
I suspect it depends on how unfriendly the link is -- tinyurl.com can help with this as can owning your own domain (like say enworld.com/OLDISNEW or oldisnew.rpg or something) and what the user is expecting to get from the visit.

Basically, the book is advertising the site to a highly selected audience. Motivated users will find the site without the advert through a search tool; interested users may be tempted into finding out what else is available from the advert; casual or unmotivated users will ignore it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I actually hadn't heard of QR codes. I do know that programs like Serif PagePlus (a page layout software) will allow me to embed a video into a PDF that will play when viewed, and not even require it to be linked to off-document (the video is in the actual PDF). I've considered including a 'how to' video for using software to create map tutorials in this way, within my map tutorials guide books PDF files.

We're talking physical books, not PDFs. Though if you develop a way to embed videos in a book, let us know! :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1) is anyone including QR codes in books?

I have seen them in a couple of books that were intended as the front end of a multimedia art project/mystery solving game.

2) would QR codes liking to media (video, audio) or additional resources be something you'd use if it were there?

Nope. I'm not using a tablet with a camera, or a smartphone, with my gaming books. If I do anything computer-related with my game, I'm using my laptop. In theory, the laptop has a camera I could use to capture the code, I suppose. But having to start that, hold the book up to the camera, and all.. it doesn't sound like an attractive use case.

Give me a simple link I can type in (Visit "http://oldnew.org" for additional resources!) and I might go to a website for them.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
We're talking physical books, not PDFs. Though if you develop a way to embed videos in a book, let us know! :)

Ah, I didn't get you meant a physical book from your OP - embedding a video into a physical books seems a bit of an impossibility at this time. :p

And as digitally adept as a I am in using a PC for my designs, I am very much like Umbran in not possessing a cell phone, IPAD, nor other kind of tablet. My PC doesn't even have a camera (I'm a complete outlier, in that way). Although I am certain some owner of your books might find such an inclusion useful.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nope. I'm not using a tablet with a camera, or a smartphone, with my gaming books.

Unless you're a complete outlier, you have a smartphone on you, though, right? Is it a policy thing that you wouldn't whip it out rather than try to do it with your laptop?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases