Current status?

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey UK,

disappointing that you don't really like the new edition, had some minor hopes the robust and simple base system would make live easier for you to expand into epic design.

Anyway, I think your best trait as a designer (at least in my opinion) isn't your system mastery at high levels, but the excellent creative ideas you have for world building at an epic or cosmic scale, adventure ideas, monster ideas, crazy abilities etc. None of that has to be tied to a specific system (even though a tie to D&D overall would probably be nice). I would definitely buy books/pdfs from you that have no crunch in it whatsoever, but instead focus on other things you have come up with in the IH and the Bestiary. Also I'm pretty sure that this would hopefully get rid of your biggest problem: finishing on time. Just sit down and write about the things you enjoy (or ask around what the guys here would prefer to see and start there) and I expect there will be several interested buyers out there :) Not even necessary to include artwork in your first projects, you were always able to write evocative descriptions that were sufficient.

Well, in the end I just hope there will be some future products or at least lengthy posts about the epic/immortal stuff you are renowned for in our circle of fans, regardless of 4th, 5th or no edition ;)

PS: The Vampire Bestiary is fine and good, but I much prefer books/articles from you that deal with high/epic levels!

For some reason when I keep clicking on page 2 of this thread it just redirects me to page 1. :(

Anyway, luckily I got an email notification.

Howdy Rhuarc amigo!

disappointing that you don't really like the new edition, had some minor hopes the robust and simple base system would make live easier for you to expand into epic design.

Its not so much a dislike as a "meh...I've seen it all before." It doesn't wow me in any way.

Anyway, I think your best trait as a designer (at least in my opinion) isn't your system mastery at high levels, but the excellent creative ideas you have for world building at an epic or cosmic scale, adventure ideas, monster ideas, crazy abilities etc. None of that has to be tied to a specific system (even though a tie to D&D overall would probably be nice). I would definitely buy books/pdfs from you that have no crunch in it whatsoever, but instead focus on other things you have come up with in the IH and the Bestiary. Also I'm pretty sure that this would hopefully get rid of your biggest problem: finishing on time. Just sit down and write about the things you enjoy (or ask around what the guys here would prefer to see and start there) and I expect there will be several interested buyers out there :) Not even necessary to include artwork in your first projects, you were always able to write evocative descriptions that were sufficient.

It might be worth my while expanding on my "10 Commandments of Epic Gaming" article into something more substantial.

I had so many brilliant ideas, monsters and adventures for epic gaming that never saw the light of day. Even trying to explain these within a few pages each could provide enough information for DMs to have 10 years worth of epic campaigns.

Personally I generally dislike RPG books with no crunch in them, but I might make an exception and try it this once.

Well, in the end I just hope there will be some future products or at least lengthy posts about the epic/immortal stuff you are renowned for in our circle of fans, regardless of 4th, 5th or no edition ;)

I hope so too. I've made a lot of mistakes along the way but without a solidified D&D market its difficult to hit sales figures high enough to make it worthwhile.

PS: The Vampire Bestiary is fine and good, but I much prefer books/articles from you that deal with high/epic levels!

I agree with you. The Vampire Bestiary was just meant to be a brief (single 48 page volume) practice session getting me used to designing for 4th Edition. Unfortunately, once I start having ideas they just keep snowballing.

Rhuarc

Explorer
For some reason when I keep clicking on page 2 of this thread it just redirects me to page 1. :(

Anyway, luckily I got an email notification.

Same here, must be something wrong with this thread or the hosted forum part.

It might be worth my while expanding on my "10 Commandments of Epic Gaming" article into something more substantial.

I had so many brilliant ideas, monsters and adventures for epic gaming that never saw the light of day. Even trying to explain these within a few pages each could provide enough information for DMs to have 10 years worth of epic campaigns.

That's exactly what I'm talking about :)
You don't need to hash out every little detail at the very start or only write about all of your ideas once the mechanical stuff fits into it as well. Just start with a few pages about this theme or that, then come back to it and expand on it later on if you like. As you've said, once you have started it probably snowballs anyway ;)

Personally I generally dislike RPG books with no crunch in them, but I might make an exception and try it this once.

Well, in a perfect world I would prefer your epic/immortal books with crunch as well, but I have to be realistic here. I'd much rather see fluff-only books or posts and see them continously, than having to wait 3 years between books with crunch. I honestly don't think it will be different than in the past if you try to do that again. But a few more pages in the style of the IH would already help a lot :)

Anyway, hope you give it a shot!

R

Hey everyone

I know it's been a long time, but I'm going to post a few new monsters and templates and stuff here in the next few days. So stay tuned.

Hey everyone

Hey amigo! :)

You actually posted this the day I went on holiday. Only just back today. Hope you are keeping well?

I know it's been a long time, but I'm going to post a few new monsters and templates and stuff here in the next few days. So stay tuned.

Good luck with that.

I am still not sure what my plans are here. Still in shock from getting turned down for a videogame designer's job (after they told me I had the job) after a few weeks ago.

Rhuarc

Explorer
Hey UK,

wish you the best for any new job opportunities you want to pursue!

In the next weeks/months I'm planning to convert several parts from your IH Ascension and Epic Bestiary to 4th edition, would you mind me asking you for further details about things which you have touched upon in those two books? Nothing mechanical, just some inspirational stuff to flesh out the world you were envisioning.

Anyway, still hope you will at some point continue with more published (or at least posts on your website/in this forum here) pdfs for Epic/Immortal level D&D to help us all with our struggles ;)

Howdy Rhuarc mate! :)

wish you the best for any new job opportunities you want to pursue!

Still sick to my guts when I think about it. But such is life I suppose. :(

In the next weeks/months I'm planning to convert several parts from your IH Ascension and Epic Bestiary to 4th edition,

Okay, cool. Probably something I should have done myself years ago.

would you mind me asking you for further details about things which you have touched upon in those two books? Nothing mechanical, just some inspirational stuff to flesh out the world you were envisioning.

Fire away amigo - I'll help if I can.

Anyway, still hope you will at some point continue with more published (or at least posts on your website/in this forum here) pdfs for Epic/Immortal level D&D to help us all with our struggles ;)

I'll see how it goes. Won't be returning to RPG pdfs/posting for at least 6-8 weeks though (working on a second game design proposal for a separate company).

Hey Rhuarc amigo! :)

Great, thanks! Would you prefer to do this via mail or should I choose a thread here in your forum and post my questions there?

Feel free to do either (just don't use the Private Messaging system here). My email is still (and always)

agooddesigner@hotmail.com

But I am happy to discuss things here on the forum too. Might give people something interesting to read; so that might be preferable. :)

Still in shock from getting turned down for a videogame designer's job (after they told me I had the job) after a few weeks ago.

That's awful :(

I'll see how it goes. Won't be returning to RPG pdfs/posting for at least 6-8 weeks though (working on a second game design proposal for a separate company).

After that is there still a possibility of the Pathfinder Vampire Bestiary? Most of the monsters are already converted...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases