"Creature Rank" Question

Khaalis

Adventurer
In various sections of the book there is mention of reliance on Creature Rank, such as in the Summon and Transform spells, Sample Spells, Training Grounds, etc. What is a creature's Rank? Where in the Creature Entry does this appear? I've read through the Bestiary section looking for this information and cannot find it. I assume this is not the same as Tier since some references say there are Rank 0 creatures and their is no Tier 0. Is this something just currently missing from the playtest document?

Edit: Are the references to Creature Rank supposed to be the same as Creature Level from the XP/Level table from p235? If so, you might want to reword the reference to the same terminology.

Also, if I understand this all correctly, then these spells work as follows?

SUMMON ANIMAL COMPANION I = 0 MP
Summon Beast 0
Range: 5 ft.
Duration: Up to 1 minute
You may summon a single loyal level 0 beast (maximum high attributes of 3). Summoned creatures arrive with a helpful attitude. If you can communicate with them, they will obey your orders. Otherwise, they will simply act to defend you and attack those who endanger you.
Cost: 0 MP Cantrip, 0 MP Obedient

SUMMON ANIMAL COMPANION II = 4 MP
Summon Beast I
Range: 5 ft.
Duration: Up to 1 minute
You may summon a single loyal level 1 beast (maximum high attributes of 4). Summoned creatures arrive with a helpful attitude. If you can communicate with them, they will obey your orders. Otherwise, they will simply act to defend you and attack those who endanger you.
Cost: 2 MP Level 1, 2 MP Obedient

How does summoning multiple Level 0 creatures work? Would 2 MP for a Level 1 convert to unlimited Level 0 creatures?
"You can summon a single creature of one power, or multiple creatures of lower power."
There are no limits on the number of "multiple lower" and multipliers of Zero are still Zero, this no MP. As is stands it looks like spending 2 MP for a "Level 1" creature could convert into an unlimited number of Level 0 creatures.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, rank is the old name for level.

For the multiples, each beyond the first has a minimum cost of 1MP.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Yes, rank is the old name for level.
Should I add this to the errata thread or is this good enough?

For the multiples, each beyond the first has a minimum cost of 1MP.
Ok, so just to make sure I have this straight.

* For 2 MP I can summon a Level 1 Creature or for 3 MP I can summon 2 Level 0 Creatures?
Or
* For 4 MP I can summon a Level 2 Creature or for 5 MP I can summon 2 Level 1 Creatures?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For 0 MP you get one level 0 critter.

for 1 MP you can get two level 0 critters.

For 2 MP you can get one level 1 critter or 3 level 0 critters.

For 3 MP you can get 4 level 0 critters.

For 4 MP you can get one level 2 critter, two level 1 critters, or five level 0 critters.

Remove ads