D&D 5E Is Anyone Unhappy About Non-LG Paladins?

Are you unhappy about non-LG paladins?

• No; in fact, it's a major selling point!

Votes: 98 20.5%
  • No; in fact, it's a minor selling point.

Votes: 152 31.7%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 115 24.0%
  • Yes; and it's a minor strike against 5e.

Votes: 78 16.3%
  • Yes; and it's a major strike against 5e!

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • My paladin uses a Motorola phone.

Votes: 18 3.8%

Halivar

First Post
But, can you explain to me how a NG Druid, allowed in 3e is any different than a, say, NG paladin appearing in 5e?

What is the difference? Why is it acceptable to relax the restrictions on Druids but not paladins?
My short answer: it isn't acceptable.

My long answer: I have a big problem with how druids were presented in 1e with respect to alignment. The RULES say neutral only, and yet their position in human communities, especially those of the Old Faith, leaned more good, or even in some cases, lawful, than I imagine true neutral being. In this I refer to the Greyhawk setting. I am unfamiliar with 1e FR. In any event, I think the RAW for druids was a bit contradictory, and therefore, it may be acceptable if that's how the traditional role of the druid in D&D is preserved.

Lalato

Adventurer
And see... I think that having multi-alignment Paladins makes those that are truly good stand out more because of it. They are the true knights in shining armor in a world that is pretty crappy.

I would posit that the reason why we have stories of knights in shining armor is that the reality of knights is that their armor wasn't shiny and that they weren't nice people to begin with. It's all been propaganda to keep us under the heel of authoritarian DM regimes. (ok, that last part was embellishment ;) ).

Halivar

First Post
Hm, this is an interesting point. So in your campaigns, how does a paladin verify her paladinhood when someone is called upon to arbitrate disputes, and whatnot? Does she carry some kind of signet from The Paladin Order of Fantasy Land? Does she have to do something that only a paladin can do? ("Which of these 20 hooded townsfolk is evil?" "Execute this heinous criminal with your smite to prove you're a paladin!") Does the local cleric simply cast know alignment on her? Or somehow else?
Using paladin mechanics to verify their position is indeed how we do it in my gaming group's game worlds.

Does the local cleric simply cast know alignment on her? Or somehow else?
When possible, yes. But such people are rare in my game world, such that the any-alignment paladin will not be able to obtain the same cachet just because of their class. No one can be sure​ of their alignment.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Using paladin mechanics to verify their position is indeed how we do it in my gaming group's game worlds.

Somewhat tangent: Is there a large amount of crossover between people who like LG-only paladins and people who have classes as recognized entities in the game world? There seems to be a similar thought process there.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
It's how the game world works. It's not an abstract; it's a concrete, observable fact. Not meta at all.
You do realize that's bs right?

There is nothing stopping your Paladins from straight up raping, eating, and then murdering someone right? They just stop being a Paladin at some point during the process. It's not like they are "3 Laws" complaint or anything.

Halivar

First Post
Somewhat tangent: Is there a large amount of crossover between people who like LG-only paladins and people who have classes as recognized entities in the game world? There seems to be a similar thought process there.
That's a good question. For myself, there are only a couple instances where this is true. Paladin is one; druid is another. Ranger comes close, but I tend to lump them in with frontier defenders-of-civilization. Everyone else is recognized by their general role in the world: this is a fighting man, this is a wizard (or sorceror! Is that a spellbook? Can't tell.), this is a no-good, low-down, good-fer-nuthin'-- oh wait, that's not a lute; this guy's just a rogue.

Halivar

First Post
You do realize that's bs right?

There is nothing stopping your Paladins from straight up raping, eating, and then murdering someone right? They just stop being a Paladin at some point during the process. It's not like they are "3 Laws" complaint or anything.
There is nothing stopping him except the fact that it is not in his nature. He's LG. People don't flip on "crazy evil" light switches, in real life or in realistic game-worlds.

There's nothing stopping you from doing it, either. But you won't. Because it is not in your nature. So it's a pure hypothetical, and therefore irrelevant.

I think the responses since my last post show quite clearly that some people still have views on Paladins that do not easily fit under the "whatever alignment" umbrella.

Actually, not that simple. Three main groups:

1) Want all alignment Paladins in the rules.

2) Want LG Paladins at their table, don't care if rules allow for others.

3) Want LG Paladins only in the book, strongly do not want rules to allow for others.

Pretty sure most people who "prefer the classic LG Paladin" are 2, not 3. Indeed I imagine 95%+ of D&D's playerbase is 1 or 2 (or close relations thereof).

I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct. And if so, WotC is right to publish a paladin(all) class. But that doesn't mean that it supports the remaining 5%.

Like I said, I'm to the point of no longer caring. If a player is so inflexible that even the presence of options causes distress, I'd quite honestly be happier for that player to find another hobby. We really don't need that level of onetruwayism in the hobby.

And here, again, is the problem. In this post, Hussar reframes the point of the other side as "inflexible" and "onetruwayism" - trying to claim the moral high ground instead of simply acknowledging a different point of view. And that's why I keep returning to this point.

Okay, so far we're on the same page. What is the rest of your Central Issue? I apologize for making you repeat yourself, but there's been a lot of back-and-forth, and I haven't followed nearly all of it.

That arguments saying "just make a paladin class that allows all alignments and everyone's happy" are incorrect. Everyone's not happy, because a class built to support all alignments does not fill the needs of players who want the LG-only paladin. Effectively it's saying "we took the paladin out of 4e and replaced it with the champion class". To some people, it's not the same class.

All I want is for, say, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION], to say - "Yes. Take your class out of the game and replace it with my Champion class, because it's more inclusive" - instead of "my way should make you happy too, and you're being unreasonable for not seeing so".

I never thought of it that way, but I'll bet there's something to that.

PS Sorry if it seems I'm picking on Hussar, but his posts stand out to me more for some reason, so I tend to argue with him more.

[MAP][/MAP]
Do you honestly feel that 1e-3.x were giving you the middle finger because they had LG-only paladins?

1E - No, before my time (sorta, long story).

2E - Yeah, I thought it was weird. I had FRA, and it had powerful SPs of every alignment, yet Paladins were LG only. Wha?

3E - DEFINITELY YES. It was long past due, and alignment restrictions were gone for others. Mucho WTF.

Also I will point out that I hated, in 2/3E, that "Knight in Shining Armour" archetype was assocated with this "Paladin" class. Dragonlance did a much better job with it's Solamnic Knights.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct. And if so, WotC is right to publish a paladin(all) class. But that doesn't mean that it supports the remaining 5%.

Agreed. But they won't accept any scenario where group 1 is supported, and I'm pretty sure they're a lot bigger than 5%, so... yeah. You always make these compromises in a new edition.

Remove ads