D&D 5E Remarkable Athlete...lets see how remarkable it is

Stalker0

Legend
A lot of people have been bemoaning the fighter's remarkable athlete ability is being....well unremarkable. So what I'd like to do is get a list of what it can do.

1) The most obvious one, you get a bonus to athletics and acrobatics checks if you haven't take those as skills.
2) You get a bonus to initiative (dex checks)
3) You get a bonus to "reflex checks" aka dex checks to avoid spells.
4) Bonus to disarm traps (it may also allow lockpicking, that one is trickier. The lock description indicates you need to be proficient in thieves tools...the tools themselves just mention getting the prof bonus).
5) Bonus to forcing doors open or breaking bonds.
6) Bonus to hold your breath, surviving without food/water

Are there others that I am missing?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
7) You get a bonus to the Str check to escape Web. There may be other spells where a bonus to Str, Dex, or Con checks is nice, but that is the one I know of so far.

Thaumaturge.

Capricia

Banned
Banned
Correct. However, the initiative bonus is something I'd missed. That's quite handy.

I have a sinking suspicion that so did the devs.

See: Potent Cantrip.

e: But really, Remarkable Athlete is really dumb as the catchall for the fighter's out of combat utility. In my houserules, remarkable athlete gives a proficiency bonus to all strength, constitution, and dexterity checks other than stealth and sleight of hand, along with a +2 bonus to constitution. Fighters also get to pick between being strong enough to break through castle walls or spider-man levels of agility at the higher levels.

Last edited:

Remove ads