D&D 5E Poisoned condition (in basic)

BryonD

Hero
Do we know anything about the "poisoned" condition? (Disad on attacks and ability checks)

Looking at the rest of basic, nothing creates this condition. For example basic "poison" just inflicts a little damage.
Looking at the final playtest bestiary there are some examples of poisons that create lesser but similar effects. But each case is unique and specific with no reference to the "poisoned"
condition. Most frequently poison seems to result in just a one-shot instant damage, though other effects are presented and at least one has a recurring damage element.

Remathilis

Legend
In the starter set, giant spiders grant the poisoned condition for one hour after you take poison damage from its bite.

There is also a reference to several "intoxicated" ruffians having the poisoned condition from drinking, but no rules are given.

BryonD

Hero
Quite an upgrade from 2d4 damage.

I guess we will have to wait to see how it really fits in overall.

No big deal, just curious.

Thanks

Ah, I missed the lack of an Intoxicated condition!

Yeah, my assumption is there are certain poisons that will be able to create this condition in the greater game.

Tush Hog

First Post
The good news for those dwarves who like to drink is that they have advantage against poison saves.

My dwarf will be winning some drinking contests again!!

:D

fba827

Adventurer
Do we know anything about the "poisoned" condition? (Disad on attacks and ability checks)

Looking at the rest of basic, nothing creates this condition. For example basic "poison" just inflicts a little damage.
Looking at the final playtest bestiary there are some examples of poisons that create lesser but similar effects. But each case is unique and specific with no reference to the "poisoned"
condition. Most frequently poison seems to result in just a one-shot instant damage, though other effects are presented and at least one has a recurring damage element.

My guess is that it won't be a standardized condition as different creatures will have there own types of poison effects. So a listing will be with each monster. Or if thEre are some standard poisons the stand ones will be in the dmg and monster entries will reference particular poisons in there.

jadrax

Adventurer
My guess is that it won't be a standardized condition as different creatures will have there own types of poison effects. So a listing will be with each monster. Or if thEre are some standard poisons the stand ones will be in the dmg and monster entries will reference particular poisons in there.

Apparently the Giant Spider has a special rule that if your Poisoned by it, you also count as Paralyzed while the poison condition is in effect.

Remove ads