Church of Cortesia

GlassEye

Adventurer
Remove the section on Sunward. It is a little confusing. Replace with a much simpler statement that the Church of Cortesia has a generally local feel, but some members are more outwardly concerned.

I like what you have done but I agree with removing the Sunward section. I'm also not sure it really needs to be replaced with anything. 'Generally local, but some outwardly concerned' (my paraphrase) still has a vague yes-no dichotomy to it. I think I agree with jkason that it would be better if whatever you are trying to get at were stated boldly. How about something like: 'The majority of the Cortesian clergy are concerned solely with overseeing the religious, political, and community life of Venzans and have little interest in those not blessed by being born Venzan. There is a small group, however, who have taken it as their mandate to establish chantries, chapels, and chapterhouses wherever Venzan feet have trod [in direct competition with Cortessan proselytizing].'

Despite having written the above I'm not sure it should be included either. It seems to me that this sort of division is ideal for inclusion in the Cortesia/Cortessa schism, i.e. the non-expansionist Cortesians vs. the expansionistic, proselytize through trade Cortessans. (The end, in brackets, was added after the rest as a possible modification).

A few other random thoughts I've had:
* It seems to me that Tritower, originally established as a colony of Venza would have a larger temple to Cortesia than a shrine with a small staff unless there was some event that indicated otherwise.
* I'd like to see some descriptive iconography included. We have the two faces of Cortesia in pre-schism iconography but I think we should have a more current depiction of the goddess: a woman in flowing robes seated in a throne-like chair holding two babes, longsword propped against one arm of the chair and a hound at her feet.
* Although not previously determined it seems the Metropolitan of Venza, the temples' representative and advisor to the Grand Council, would be a Cortesian.
* I'd like to see an expansion of the saints like Saint Ulthar.
* Typical view of the Cortessans by Cortesian clergy?

Aura

Explorer
I'll see what I can do. The entire issue of expansionism I am trying to convey is that there is a *majority* view of being non-expansionist, and that status quo is basically the official doctrine.

As for Tritower, I felt like I was being brave by saying there was even so much as a shrine there, and now it's perhaps too little. Seemed like an awful busy place with three local religions there already. Hmmm. Perhaps recent events will change it to a larger presence?

GlassEye

Adventurer
I get that and I like that the Cortesians are non-expansionist. I guess I was trying to push the 'Why?' (Why is it non-expansionist? Why is there a group contrary to the official doctrine (aside from normal human contrariness)? Why is there such a small presence of Cortesians in Tritower?) and, perhaps, my answers to those questions. None of my mental wanderings need to be included those were just the things that popped into my head as I was re-reading what you've compiled and written, which, by the way, is very good.

Aura

Explorer
I'll see what I can do to incorporate as much of these ideas after I have the next adventure ready. It's definitely on the to-do list.

I guess the reason I hadn't thought about the issue of why the Cortesian religion is non-expansionist is somewhat of a classical view--for a long time in human history, it is my understanding that most religions were non-expansionist. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Of course, expansionist religions, particularly those spreading by the power of the sword, became most widely spread. Just the same, I can give it some thought, but it's not a far stretch for a home/hearth/community goddess to be mostly focused on local affairs, IMO. OTOH, Cortessia can logically be thought to have a more cross-community interest with the value placed on trade.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases