D&D 5E Still no information on WotC's digital plans

variant

Adventurer
Only a few days until the PHB hits stores and we only know a few tidbits about Project Morningstar. No pricing or detailed list of features and content. There is absolutely nothing on their support for PDF books. I was hoping they would give access a digital form of the book for free if you spent the money for the hard copy, but that didn't seem to come to pass.

I am still hoping for a very tablet friendly PDF versions of the books (interactive, 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, landscape mode) for all of their books, including Basic and at a reasonable price point. Though it's disappointing that I will have to buy every book twice if I want both the print and digital version, if the latter even exists.

delericho

Legend
WotC got badly burned by over-hyping DDI and then failing to deliver. I suspect that if anything they'll veer too far the other way this time - only announce things when they absolutely 100% certain they can deliver.

As for the PDFs/eBooks, my expectation is that they'll probably be tied up with Morningstar in some way - the people involved seem to have prior art in such things and it's likely that that was part of their pitch to WotC.

So while it would be really nice to have high-quality PDFs showing up on DriveThru at the same time as the books, I would be surprised if it came to pass.

sidonunspa

First Post
WotC got badly burned by over-hyping DDI and then failing to deliver. I suspect that if anything they'll veer too far the other way this time - only announce things when they absolutely 100% certain they can deliver.

As for the PDFs/eBooks, my expectation is that they'll probably be tied up with Morningstar in some way - the people involved seem to have prior art in such things and it's likely that that was part of their pitch to WotC.

So while it would be really nice to have high-quality PDFs showing up on DriveThru at the same time as the books, I would be surprised if it came to pass.

I just wish they would make some kind of announcement about Dungeon and Dragon emags

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just wish they would make some kind of announcement about Dungeon and Dragon emags

I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't expect to do anything with those until the DMG is out. They've said several times that they're going for a less aggressive schedule, with a smallish staff.

Kinak

First Post
I absolutely agree on the reasoning, but I'm okay with however far they veer in the other direction. I'm a big fan of underpromising and overdelivering.

I'm also curious to see what happens with Dungeon and Dragon, though. I'll take an announcement whenever they're sure.

Cheers!
Kinak

Bumamgar

First Post
I really hope they bring back Dungeon and Dragon. Those two magazines were always such a great source of inspiration for me as a DM.

Ebony Dragon

First Post
If they fail to come out with a pdf of the book on release day (which looks likely), I think we will sadly see that everyone just pirates a scanned one instead.

Good work WotC.

Remove ads