D&D 5E Your favorite and least favorite things :)

Najo

First Post
Ok, we're all scouring over the 5e PHB and hopefully we are all loving it :) It has a huge legacy to stand up too. Now that we've had sometime with it, I'm sure many of us have some first impressions. I love to know those are. So, what are you favorite things and least favorite things about 5e PHB?

jace

First Post
Some of my favorite things:
  • Inspiration points for roleplaying and then allowing players to reward them to other players.
  • Advantage/Disadvantage replacing tables full of modifiers.
  • Full-caster bard!
  • The modular nature of backgrounds, subraces, and subclasses. Makes it very easy to homebrew.

Least favorite things are tougher, but let's see...
  • Ranger seems kind of meh.
  • Tieflings need subraces instead of all being Forgotten Realms-style Asmodean.
  • Warlocks are generally full of flavor, but their their Pact options (Tome, Blade, and Chain) could use a bit more depth. Maybe more invocations tied to them.

I love warlocks! Fighters! Wizards! Actually, most of the classes. Also rituals, and the shared spell-slot progression! Advantage/disadvantage! Character-defining feats (no matter what [MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION] says)!

I'm finding Sorcerers to be kinda bleh; they need more origins, including at least one that "feels" more generic; a sorcerer's only options shouldn't be exclusively between dragon wings and random butterflies/fireballs. 4E brought some neat stuff to sorcerers, but also took it in a weird direction, and seems like 5E kept it whole-hog. Fortunately I do think built-in metamagic was a smart move. Finally, a 5E dragonborn dragon sorcerer loses out if she has the same draconic heritage for both, because several of her racial features and class features become redundant with one another; this seems like a significant oversight!

Also, rangers seem to have killed 4E's seeker and took his stuff, but he should've had a purely martial subclass too.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I love warlocks! Fighters! Wizards! Actually, most of the classes. Also rituals, and the shared spell-slot progression! Advantage/disadvantage! Character-defining feats (no matter what [MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION] says)!

Baiting me in I see.

Actually, I really like this game a LOT.

It just feels like D&D, smells like D&D, is balanced for the most part, and brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings. I like it so much that I convinced my daughter to DM so that I can play.

Best version of D&D ever. IMHO.

There are some minor issues with healing and such (like the Medicine skill being nearly useless), but everything so far is resolvable.

Boarstorm

First Post
I'm liking too much to list. It'd be easier just to post a pic of the PHB's table of contents.

But I'm disliking two things (so far).
1) Halfling art.
2) The callout that Draconians are a type of Dragonborn. I've always hated that stance. They'll always be unique monsters in my mind.

Favorite:
1. Simple efficiency of the Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard; every class feels different, even when it's all just variations on basic attack and spellcasting.
2. Feats as optional.
3. Backgrounds. None of them in particular, but just the idea that your skills come from your background, and you don't really pick up new skills just by wandering around.

Least Favorite:
1. Ability scores, just in general. How the score doesn't mean anything, but the modifier does. How characters have a functional range between 8 and 20, so the weakest mage can beat the strongest warrior in arm-wrestling.
2. The implementation of two-weapon fighting, where everybody in the world can (and should) do it.
3. Fast healing by default, and the difficulty in narrating an attack where no lasting damage is inflicted. The devaluation of magical healing, which can no longer affect anyone beyond what could be accomplished with a long rest.

Remove ads