D&D 5E [Guidance] What, +1d4 to every check ever?

jgsugden

Legend
Remember that spellcasting is obvious. It is loud. It can't be done stealthily or subtly (barring a particular feature)...
That is a bit of a question mark, even after Xanathar's guidance.

Per the PHB, the combination of sounds, specifically including pitch and resonance - but not specifically including volume - are what is necessary for a verbal component.

Somatic components are forceful gestures or intricate gestures. That creates a broad spectrum of possible motions required to cast a spell.

Xanathar's reminds us that spellcasting is perceptible, but being perceptible does not inherently mean automatically perceived. It means there is something there to be seen and/or heard. There is still the chance, as determined by the DM, that it is seen or heard. Generally, under the rules this would be a DC that is compared to passive perception, although the DM might allow the perceiving entity to roll to try to improve their check above the passive score.

In my game, I interpret these rules to mean that there needs to be spoken word at a normal speaking voice volume, and gestures similar to those seen on The Magicians (Syfy).

However, those can be disguised, covered, drowned out, blocked, etc... A wizard might perform the gestures beneath his robes, or hold something just in front of his face to muffle the sound of spellcasting. If a spellcaster has the tools to hide spellcasting and wishes to do so, I allow a stealth check, opposed by perception checks (usually just passive unless someone is trying to be perceptive), to do so. Advantage or disadvantage may apply based upon circumstances.

Also, the caster's reputation may impact how people consider the spellcasting. A respected local priest that makes gestures and blesses his follower with guidance before an athletic event might not raise an eyebrow ... while a well known adventuring wizard that goes to the tavern, raises a hand and calls out for the check might see the entire bar reach for their weapons.

With Guidance, I treat i as commonplace and widely accepted as reasonable behavior. However, that would not stop from someone noting that it took place and in a particular circumstance, objecting or raising a concern. It is subjective.

5ekyu

Hero
That is a bit of a question mark, even after Xanathar's guidance.

Per the PHB, the combination of sounds, specifically including pitch and resonance - but not specifically including volume - are what is necessary for a verbal component.

Somatic components are forceful gestures or intricate gestures. That creates a broad spectrum of possible motions required to cast a spell.

Xanathar's reminds us that spellcasting is perceptible, but being perceptible does not inherently mean automatically perceived. It means there is something there to be seen and/or heard. There is still the chance, as determined by the DM, that it is seen or heard. Generally, under the rules this would be a DC that is compared to passive perception, although the DM might allow the perceiving entity to roll to try to improve their check above the passive score.

In my game, I interpret these rules to mean that there needs to be spoken word at a normal speaking voice volume, and gestures similar to those seen on The Magicians (Syfy).

However, those can be disguised, covered, drowned out, blocked, etc... A wizard might perform the gestures beneath his robes, or hold something just in front of his face to muffle the sound of spellcasting. If a spellcaster has the tools to hide spellcasting and wishes to do so, I allow a stealth check, opposed by perception checks (usually just passive unless someone is trying to be perceptive), to do so. Advantage or disadvantage may apply based upon circumstances.

Also, the caster's reputation may impact how people consider the spellcasting. A respected local priest that makes gestures and blesses his follower with guidance before an athletic event might not raise an eyebrow ... while a well known adventuring wizard that goes to the tavern, raises a hand and calls out for the check might see the entire bar reach for their weapons.

With Guidance, I treat i as commonplace and widely accepted as reasonable behavior. However, that would not stop from someone noting that it took place and in a particular circumstance, objecting or raising a concern. It is subjective.
Of course, if its commonplace and accepted, it's pretty much a wash right, as far as competitions go? Both sides get their juice from God and everyone expects folks to be juicin' so no big deal unless you are one of those competing clean.

But hey your lock picking is upped by sneaky cleric whispers, but then, when the lock was made or the security setup they likely had their cleric of order their too, so it's a little better made, right? Commonplace and accepted and all that.

Were you juicing when you forged your papers? Will the investigator be if they are scrutinized?

gyor

Legend
You know what is better then guidance? A Divine Sorcerer casting twin guidance.

And if there is grappling (skill check) and in a few other situations you can make use of Guidance in combat.

Or cast Guidance on someone taking the help action, then cast it on the character being helped.

jgsugden

Legend
Guidance has a greater impact on the game than a lot of cantrips. We better remove it. Oh, so does Eldritch Blast. And Spare the Dying. Light, Dancing Lights and Create Bonfire all pretty much negate the benefits of Darkvision. We can't allow that, either. Green Flame Blade and Shillelagh are way too strong on certain builds. Minor Illusion? What were they thinking! OK, Mage Hand just flat out negates most traps. Nope, nope, nope. Presitidigitation and Thaumaturgy are too hard to spell and way too versatile. Gone....

[10 minutes later] So, you can choose your three cantrip from Blade Ward and True Strike.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I have never had a player abuse this. Most of the time they forget they have it, and it only comes up so often. I think it is more the type of player using the spell, than the spell itself.

Reynard

Legend

In the rulebook, verbal components must be "chanted" which implies, IMO, something that cannot be whispered. Somatic components must be either forceful or intricate, either of which obviates hiding under a blanket or whatever. Spells, even cantrips, are powerful and they should come with cost. The constant concerns about casters outshining martials is based on, IMO, the continuous reduction and removal of those costs.

First, people stopped tracking components. Then they gave wizards bonus spells for high Int. Then they made cantrips endless. Then they complained that casters were too powerful and decided to up martial power. It's confounding.

Remove ads