D&D 5E Beware the barbarian in the chainmail bikini! Or, check out the max Barbarian AC!

Quartz

Hero
A level 20 Barbarian with maxxed Dex (20) and Con (24 thanks to Primal Champion) doesn't need armour: she has a base AC of 22 and can still use a shield for a final AC of 24 or Bracers of Defence for AC 25. That's better than Plate & Shield (20). And she takes half damage from many attacks when raging.

Of course, a fighter gets 4 attacks to the barbarian's 2 (3 when she's raging) and has a better critical range, but the fighter has fewer HP, a worse AC, doesn't get damage resistance.

Hmmm... I can see Clerics taking a 1 or 2 level dip into Barbarian for this class feature.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Hmmm... I can see Clerics taking a 1 or 2 level dip into Barbarian for this class feature.

Nah. Why would a cleric ever boost their Con up to 20? And why would they favor Dex over Strength, unless they're trickery domain? Even if they were interested in going armorless and Dex oriented, why wouldn't they go for Monk, which is 10+Dex+Wis, a stat Clerics would be boosting anyway?

I think the best class for a barbarian dip is actually moon druid. Wildshapes have multiple strength based attacks that benefit from rage, and also have pretty high Con modifiers but low armor class, which Unarmored Defense would help.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think that the Fighter/Wizard with Greater Invisibility can have an effective AC of about 25. :lol:

More if he gets magical armor. More if he casts more spells (like Shield).

Quartz

Hero
It seems I was mistaken about the extra attack when raging: the barbarian merely gets a bonus to damage. Which is worth about an extra attack.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
A level 20 Barbarian with maxxed Dex (20) and Con (24 thanks to Primal Champion) doesn't need armour: she has a base AC of 22 and can still use a shield for a final AC of 24 or Bracers of Defence for AC 25. That's better than Plate & Shield (20). .

You're assuming a 20th level fighter wouldn't have magical plate and shield. +3 is the highest that's been hinted at (as legendary items). A level 20 PC probably has run across those at some point. So that 20th level figher would have AC 26.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
It seems I wan mistaken about the extra attack when raging: the barbarian merely gets a bonus to damage. Which is worth about an extra attack.

Nah, you were sort of right; the berserker subclass can "frenzy" for an extra attack each round (as a bonus attack) while raging, but that makes them take a level of exhaustion, so you have to be careful with it.

Also, remember that a lot of people won't have maxed Dex, Strength AND Con even by level 20; there are quite a few feats you can take that are probably worth more than a bump to your AC and dex saves. For example, let's say you use three feat slots to go from 16 to 20 Dex and 18 to 20 Con; you could instead take +1 dex/+1 con, then Resilient (dex), then Durable, and you'd end up with the same Con, more hp, and much better Dex saves, and only one less AC.

Joe Liker

First Post
I think the point is, even if you don't take it to the extreme, the barbarian is kind of a bad-ass. If you disagree, I'd like to see you take it up with him.

Remove ads